Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Townhead
Rating 4 V
Rabbie
post 21st Feb 2010, 06:18pm
Post #31

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,794
QUOTE (maggie mc manus34 @ 28th May 2009, 01:09am) *
Ma best memories are of ' Toonheid baths.' Nip intae Peaches furr a couple of whoppers, an MB bar and aff we go. Whit a fab time we had there and 4d tae get in, circa 1956-62. If you didnae get oot that watter when big Annie blew her whistle and flung open the wee swing door tae reveal yurr simmet n drawers her next move wis tae toss the said items intae the pool. If ye felt like paying in again ye'd tae queue ootside in yer cozzie in aw weathers just tae get another turn.

Oh yeah Maggie, such fond memories of Toonheid baths and auld wifie's tales frea ra steamie. "Yer Maws the talk o' ra steamie!"

Whole gang of us wi oor Maws, Aunties an dugs wid go there swimming on Wednesday / Thursday nights, regular as clock work. Saved getting washed in the sink at the back windea. Wi the state of the weans, twa green candles and black as the Earl o' Hell's waistcoat, the dugs had a better chance of getting let in.

Dae you remember the wee tubs at the back of the pool and like hunners o' weans all trying to pile intae them because the watter was hoater than the in the big pool, was like arms. legs sticking oot everywhere and weans awe bawlin thurr hieds aff. Mind ye the lassies whurr mair noisier than the bois.

There was so much chlorine in the water it was like opal green, but miybe that because the tiles whurr manky. On more that one occasion ah managed cut my fit and heid on jaggy tiles.

Last time I was in the pool was during yon roasting hoat summer of '76, used to go nearly every day wi may mates, all wan of them.

The place was closed doon no long after that and then like nearly everything else in Toonhied, knocked doon.

Ah, if only we could travel back in time, well it was cheaper!

--------------------
Black holes are where God divided by zero.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
292 kennedystree...
post 9th May 2010, 08:31pm
Post #32

Unpacking
Member No.: 8,496
I was born in kennedy street on the ninth of may 1940 we stayed there until 1953 we moved from our room and kitchen we had next to no furniture for a four appartment flat in Barlanark. I went to kennedy st primary school just passed my qually with a J 3 to go city public. My auntie stayed in lister st my favourite flea buggy was the Grafton my dad always came back into the townhead to go the pub called the barmac in parlly road.

+Quote Post
**pat doyle**
post 13th Jun 2010, 02:58pm
Post #33

Where in townhead did u live I lived in Montrose St. the oldest 7 doyles I hope i hear from u
good luck Patsy Doyle

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 20th Oct 2010, 03:49pm
Post #34

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
The thing i loved about living in the Toonheid as a kid was the complete freedom to literally wander all over the place without the fear of "bad men" getting hold of you, we could stay out till 10 or 11 at night in the street during the summer, playing our games without anybody bothering us exept the local polis telling us it was time to get "hame" to our beds. there was a police box at the bottom of Kyle st and always 3 or 4 police about making their tea or just skyving.
Another thing i remember was the stable halfway up Couper st across from John Allans the blacksmiths. I used to love sitting opposite the stable entrance in the morning watching these great big beasts coming out of the entrance meeting the cold morning air for the first time the snorting snuffling and winnoing and the steam already starting to come of their coats as they picked up their loads. trucks and cars never had the same appeal to me.

When that closed down it was converted to a chemical works, imagine that happening today ?
opening up a chemical works in among the houses.

We also used to catch hugies from the BRS depot at the top of North Wallace st down to the Parlie rd or back up, never along Baird st as they could pick up to much speed.
Friday nights it would be to Tonys for chips, Freddies for fritters (with the added instruction. "And make sure he's no picking his nose when he serves you") the special fish had to be bought from i think it was Jacks close to the Gay Gordon further up Parlie rd.

Another place we used to play was in the shunting yard between Buchanan st station and the mile long tunnel, on the Swan st side of the yard on top of the hill next to Swan st there was a water dam that was used a reservoir for the watering of steam shunters, over the years kids had made rafts that you could use to play about on, i remember one day a water rat crawling onto the raft when i was in the middle of this dam, i think the only reason i didnt jump off was because i couldn't swim, still cant. When you went through the mile long tunnel it brought you out at the salt waste or stinky ocean. next to jacks mountain.
I remember the first time i managed to climb to the top of Jacks mountain, really disapointed to find a road at the back end of it that you could walk up.

Another memory is pushing my granda in his wheelchair to the bowling green in i think it was in Parsons st i used to leave him there and then go and play in the Kennedy swing park, i could never understand why they pulled down the Maypoles as that was the ultimate in fun, i know they said they were dangerous but i can honestly say i dont recall one injury from the Maypoles in all the time i played on them.
we used to also go looking for bag 'o' minnies in the canal but the best place to catch them was under the bridge where it went over the canal at Glebe st

i remember the Swans on the canal bank at the top of Kyle st when they had hatched their chicks.
no human mother is as protective as a Swan looking after its baby. the hissing and flapping of their wings and the charges at you to make sure you left and didnt come back.

the second week i started school i knew this wonderfull place called the Toonheid belonged to me and that it would always be a part of me, i have been gone know for over 40 years, but O i still miss the old Toonheid badly.

+Quote Post
*Andy Wilson*
post 21st Oct 2010, 12:59am
Post #35

The swingpark was on Kennedy st,one side was Lister st and the other the infamous Black st with the boolin green behind it bordering on Baird st-the "Parkie" was called "Bibby"-cause he wore bib and brace overalls!-wan tooth and a grumpy manner although in truth he was quite a nice old fella when you got to know him-we used to play on the lorries parked in Drummond st,there was a drivers lodging place at the Parly rd end and a transport cafe at the closemouth-great place for catching "hudgies" my record being the top of Alexandra parade!-fair miss the auld Toonheid-only things left now are St Mungos in Parson st and the school in St James rd.

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 25th Oct 2010, 05:40am
Post #36

Mega City Key Holder
The infamous Black st is where my wife and i bought our first house, 66 Black st on the top floor the clinic was No 67, if i remember correctly we paid 200 pounds for it in 1969.

+Quote Post
Maggie50
post 30th Oct 2010, 03:14pm
Post #37

Settling In
Member No.: 6,020
QUOTE (Dave Grieve @ 25th Oct 2010, 07:36am) *
The infamous Black st is where my wife and i bought our first house, 66 Black st on the top floor the clinic was No 67, if i remember correctly we paid 200 pounds for it in 1969.

Davie hi!!! we were the Mc Manus family and sadly i'm the only one of us who misses the 'auld toonheid ' badly as my bro' always says what's the point? Living in the shadow of St. Mungo's was brilliant, in fact, if you go into the part of this forum under ' churches and religon' I think it's called you'll read my wee ditty on that very subject. Davie!! my years in 'toonheid were 1950-1967. Speak soon eh?

--------------------
mc manus34

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 1st Nov 2010, 03:53pm
Post #38

Mega City Key Holder
hi Maggie
please to meet you, i dont think we new each other as you lived on the chapel side of Parlie rd to me, but i spent plenty of time playing on Macauslin street and just wandering about. what i used to buy when my old granda got his pension and gave me some pocket money was a lucky tottie and then my pick out of the penny tray was probably 4 chocolate carmels a farthing each.
I really wish i had the memory of a lot of people on this site but unfortunetly i am a face person not a name person, we stayed in the Toonheid from 1951 until 1958 when we moved to Possil (Fruin st) but by 1962 we where back in Killermont st next close to the bus station.
All the time we lived in Possil i kept catching the bus to St Rochs untill i left school. when i got married we bought a 2 room and kitchen in Black st and lived there until 1971, when we came to South Africa.
I did my first communion and confirmation at St Mungos and even today i can remember those 2 hour masses in latin and hard wooden seats with the wooden pews that convinced me i could never be a priest if that was how my knees would feel for the rest of my life. LOL.
My son-inlaw is Portugese and any time i go to a Portugese mass it reminds me of the latin masses. (cant understand a word)
My own brother still lives in the Toonheid not really sure where, his name is Owney, my sister Kate used to live up Roystonhill but now lives in Newcastle.

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 10th Nov 2010, 12:08am
Post #39

Hi Dave-I lived in Parly rd-(214, corner of Lister st and Parly rd) at the same time you were in Townhead and went to St Mungos primary from 1957 to 1963-then got "overspilled" to Johnstone because they were demolishing our house-they did-in 1978!-played in the same places,Cuddies park,salt waste,and any handy tenement they were tearing doon!

+Quote Post
Maggie50
post 10th Nov 2010, 11:04pm
Post #40

Settling In
Member No.: 6,020
QUOTE (Dave Grieve @ 1st Nov 2010, 04:39pm) *
hi Maggie
please to meet you, i dont think we new each other as you lived on the chapel side of Parlie rd to me, but i spent plenty of time playing on Macauslin street and just wandering about. what i used to buy when my old granda got his pension and gave me some pocket money was a lucky tottie and then my pick out of the penny tray was probably 4 chocolate carmels a farthing each.
I really wish i had the memory of a lot of people on this site but unfortunetly i am a face person not a name person, we stayed in the Toonheid from 1951 until 1958 when we moved to Possil (Fruin st) but by 1962 we where back in Killermont st next close to the bus station.
All the time we lived in Possil i kept catching the bus to St Rochs untill i left school. when i got married we bought a 2 room and kitchen in Black st and lived there until 1971, when we came to South Africa.
I did my first communion and confirmation at St Mungos and even today i can remember those 2 hour masses in latin and hard wooden seats with the wooden pews that convinced me i could never be a priest if that was how my knees would feel for the rest of my life. LOL.
My son-inlaw is Portugese and any time i go to a Portugese mass it reminds me of the latin masses. (cant understand a word)
My own brother still lives in the Toonheid not really sure where, his name is Owney, my sister Kate used to live up Roystonhill but now lives in Newcastle.

Hi Dave!! of course the minute you mention ' farthing ' that lets me know we're from different times but hey good times just the same. Fotunately i've got a good memory . From St. Mungo's to St. Roch's what a journey. Did you go into churches and religion in this forum? you should, it's quite funny. By the way, I would've thought that the fab weather and lifestyle in Joburg would more than make up for dreary wee toonheid. aye ? NAAAAAAWWW!!!!!!

--------------------
mc manus34

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 3rd Dec 2010, 01:43pm
Post #41

Mega City Key Holder
Hi Maggie
how are things with you, i have been wandering about again and went to a couple of game reserves in Natal province. not for a holiday but to visit some of our customers in the reserves, coming down from the main camp in Hluwhluwe Game Reserve i was thinking to myself "typical all this bush and no animals to be seen when just then i turned a corner and everything opened up for me, all around there where elephants, rhino, giraffe zebra cape buffalo and other animals all mixed up and grazing side by side.
Sometimes i think i have the best job in the world.

I stay with my youngest daughter when i go to Natal as she lives in a place called Umdloti right on the beach (Indian ocean) a nice place to live but it has a monkey problem, you cant leave any of your doors or windows open or they come in looking to grab whatever food is lying about. Recently she left one of the kitchen windows open slightly, not wide enoug for an adult to get in but wide enough for one of the babies to get through, the only food lying about was a dozen eggs sitting in a bowl, but that was good enough, it passed the eggs outside and they all had breakfast next to the washing line, at least thats where they smashed the eggs to get to the yolk.
i remember living in Glega toon we had the same problem only it wasent monkeys we were locking out.
Have to go now as i must pick up my grandaughter from a birthday party. all the schools have closed for the summer holidays now. we are also closing down next week for a month. CANT WAIT.

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 3rd Dec 2010, 03:23pm
Post #42

Mega City Key Holder
Hi Guest

I dont know about you but i loved living in the toonheid, i know with hindsite the living conditions were terrible but when you dont know any better you just accept what you have without complaint.
The good times outwayed the bad.
All the woman you saw standing together at some close mouth talking together gave you the sense that we were all part of one big expanded family, it was never any problem to knock on your pals door and go in as if you were part of the family, it was just accepted that wee Davie's here. and if you were playing in the back court and somebody had a 'piece' thrown down to them, well it was divided amongst everybody that was there.
I know in a material sense we are probably all better off today but in another way the feeling of belonging has been lost.
I remember going back to Glasgow in 1978 when my stepfather died and wandering about the old toonheid and being really really angry about the short sightedness of the council for not even trying to restore some of the old tenements.
I know that quite a lot of them were beyond help but to not even try to restore anything was to put it mildly 'criminal'

+Quote Post
Tennscot
post 27th Jan 2012, 04:27pm
Post #43

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,796
At one time, when back in Glasgow we lived in "The Tony Bee" across from our old house in Morrin Square.We then moved back to the States and my cousin moved in.I just learned this wee romantic story. A young boy came to the door and asked "Is Carol in?" My cousin said sorry they went back to America. He was crestfallen, He then asked " can I have that.! That being my brass name plate still on the door....J Tuck.!!! My cousin said she wondered if he`d slept with it under his pillow. Now an old school friend of my other daughter has just contacted her.Her dad was a Fireman. It`s a small world. wub.gif

+Quote Post
Tennscot
post 27th Jan 2012, 04:28pm
Post #44

Mega City Key Holder
Naw he didnae take it to the Scrappy. Smart ass biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Tennscot
post 28th Jan 2012, 06:46pm
Post #45

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Tennscot @ 27th Jan 2012, 03:43pm) *
At one time, when back in Glasgow we lived in "The Tony Bee" across from our old house in Morrin Square.We then moved back to the States and my cousin moved in.I just learned this wee romantic story. A young boy came to the door and asked "Is Carol in?" My cousin said sorry they went back to America. He was crestfallen, He then asked " can I have that.! That being my brass name plate still on the door....J Tuck.!!! My cousin said she wondered if he`d slept with it under his pillow. Now an old school friend of my other daughter has just contacted her.Her dad was a Fireman. It`s a small world. wub.gif

We think his name was Alec Curry

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th Dec 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.