Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

12 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Springburn
Avril
post 14th Feb 2007, 09:25am
Post #31

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,509
Just up from that on the right was a wee wool shop that I used to go to with ma mammy. Was it Galls?

--------------------
BOOKS..What's For Ye, Won't Go By Ye/Chasin' that Carrot/Mammograms Save Lives/Time Makes Changes/Treachery and Triumph...TV DRAMA..Broken Promises ...website www.avrilsaunders.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
magsos
post 21st Feb 2007, 04:01am
Post #32

Super Visitor
Member No.: 1,052
Aye Georgia.it was Galls.Remember they used to have hundreds a boxes of nylons,and would bring them all down,and show you fully fashioned,semi fashioned,seemless etc..The assistant would put her hand in the stocking,to show you how sheer they were..all for one and elevenpence halfpenny..
Maybe am before your time Georgia...you could buy all your wool there too,and undies...Remember Irelands the chemist.a coupla shops up the road from Galls,wi the giant green bottle,outside,showing it was a chemist.

+Quote Post
lindamac
post 21st Feb 2007, 09:39am
Post #33

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,807
biggrin.gif I do recall it was actually Anderson & Irelands chemist,yes I mind of it well.

--------------------
Ye Cin Take The Lassie Oota Glesga But Ye Cannae Take Glesga Oota The Lassie

+Quote Post
lindamac
post 21st Feb 2007, 09:46am
Post #34

Mega City Key Holder
Bunty there were 2 funeral parlours onew by the Donnellys the one you mentioned at the rd facing the train station I know cos my brothers coffin was in it 2yrs ago & the other was along past the swing park & on the main street facing the huge grain store next to Camerons yellow shops wherein ye could get a needle tae an anchor as mammy says(hardware stores there was 2 of them a few shops apart owned by the same folk.but I know the parlours were both owned by the Donnelly family.

--------------------

+Quote Post
lindamac
post 21st Feb 2007, 09:58am
Post #35

Mega City Key Holder
see that wee record store was it called Targets & a picture of red white n blue target oan the sign & was it near Munros Butchers near woolies& the fruit shop?& city bakeries curleys, all to its right side when stood at park gate facing across the rd & next to park was Ross` carpet shop & a hairdressers & Burtons menswear shop?there was bata shoes & way further doon tae right across that rd towards the railway station Library herr dressersetc was greenhaughs & greenlees & Tandem shoe shops.almost heading towards mcnees chemist noo,but afore that was a wee side street wherein there was a pentecostal church & the corner was taken up with BauldyBaynes pub?

--------------------

+Quote Post
rab hay
post 5th Mar 2007, 04:52am
Post #36

Unpacking
Member No.: 3,284
the shops i remember are in no particular order from the fire station to balgray
marios chippy
curleys
lizzie mcfarlanes
mcnees chemist
mini bingo
hoeys
eureka bar
reids jewellers
rs mcolls
clydesdale bank
co-op
bells bar
travel agents
city bakeries-ma mother worked in it
henry healy
clyesdale electrics
sellyns
malt cellar off sales
snug bar
galls
wards newsagent
hamiltons dairy
butchers
mullens fruit shop
vulcan bar
galbraiths
greenlees
the haven bar
broken biscuit shop
santis
johnstons sports
record shop
woolies
brains went numb trying to remember any more. tongue.gif
corrines hairdressers

+Quote Post
Tennscot
post 6th Mar 2007, 02:22am
Post #37

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,796
Here goes, down memory lane. Grew up 103 Wellfield St., (when it was still there)My Father was a Tuck,( Tuck the bookies ) Went to Wellfield then Albert SS School,Done my Runner to Cowlairs Road Office during Summer Holidays . Up the street ,sweetie shop and Dairy next door .Across the street the Wellie later named the Astor ,next the Sally Ann. ...Peas `N vinegar, and Jesus wants me for a Sunbeam. further up on other side Campbells Chip shop. The The Avenue, Left into Springburn Road Aulds Dairy Across The street from Aulds .. Taylors Fruit Shop .Across Springburn road was Clydesdale Savings Bank Back on Aulds side towards the car stop City Bakeries The Church,Across the road Sellyns up behind that the Chapel.From the church . On down the road Liptons or something then wet fish shop Hendersons Butchers.then ?? The I think Blenheim St With Santis ( Best Fish n chips ) Pub at the corner.Across the St., Wool Shop Chemist going down Victoria Bar and another pub next door. The Wee Shop Now Donnelys Was a Head stone place Marble Shop. Back Over Atlas St. Going down to the Coal Rea. Geordie Something and The Atlas Works. Back on Spr. Rd. The Station and steps down to the Library. Back across to other side of bridge and Coop Buildings. all the way down to Cowlairs Rd.,Also the Coop Halls wwas down the side St., and Coop dairy Then turn left Dowwn to Cowlairs Rd, With Jimmy Donnelys Parlour and Private hire. The Other side at the Cross Where the Salvation Army would sing and Gus McKenzie and I would Join in . Memories.!!! Gus was later Better know as Karl Denver and his Trio. Gus grew up in Edgefauld road. Back to the Cross . Across and at the corner of Cowlairs R. Was a Bank , and on down Spr. Rd., Gourley st., and The Princes. then Keppochill Rd . The Oxford. Then further along The Coffin.... The Kinema. Well enough Bletherin , thats part of the Springburn the then Vibrant Springburn i loved . Like the song Sez "Blowin in the wind". Jim Tuck

+Quote Post
flam
post 12th Mar 2007, 03:12pm
Post #38

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,044
Hi Tennscot.Did Charlie Tuck not have three Bookie shops in Cowlairs Road at one time, and where they not all chocolate type coloured , around the Highland Fling Area...Cheers Flim

+Quote Post
toerag
post 13th Mar 2007, 02:09am
Post #39

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 167
Does anyone remember Nan Keelings dance school,? it was above the co-op dairy?

+Quote Post
Tennscot
post 13th Mar 2007, 03:15am
Post #40

Mega City Key Holder
Yes there was three shops. The firm started 1902 as Stephen Tuck and Sons. Stevie Died ,his widow took over, Hannah. Her son, "Stevies Charlie also ran a shop.the other shop Was Big Charlie . I don`t think they got on too well,Hannah & Big Charlie. BC`s son wee Charlie also tried to be a bookie. My Father Wee Geordie had his main pitch at 103 Wellfield St, although hes also had lifters set up in all the local works. N.B. Loco, The Marne , Atlas , Cowlairs and a few more I can`t remember.The "lines " went by timeclock bag To Big Charlies Office before each race. To cut a long story short the business was sold to John Boyle ,and I beleive he went on and upwards from there . The Tucks didn`t have much imagination when it came to names, there`s now names like Charlies, Charlies , Stevies Charlie , Stevies charlies stevie. The other Tucks My Uncles. were Tommy an Engineer (My Fav., ) John, There was one played for Petershill. A sister Ruby Who lived above Hannah`s shop. My Father Moved to San Pedro California (L.A. Harbour).Geordie Passed and My Mother Agnes (Ruby) Sons and Daughters all live in Cal. Me , at the moment about 2mils. east of Ben Lomond, 100 odd mls., south of Glasgow about 50mls from Livingstone. in Middle Tennessee. All The Best .

+Quote Post
Tennscot
post 13th Mar 2007, 03:29am
Post #41

Mega City Key Holder
Hi Toerag My Mother would prabebly have Known Nan, I think she sent both my sisters there. My Mother was on the Stage before she married Wee Geordie Tuck. Sometime if she was between shows she`d babysit for Jack & Maisie Short. THe Logan Family , that`s when Jimmy was a boy. I think they lived in Keppochhill Road up by the old Police Station.

+Quote Post
*Guest Tennscot **
post 15th Mar 2007, 09:06pm
Post #42

Thanks a Million ISA , I`m having a ball learning all the historical facts I never knew wub.gif

+Quote Post
magsos
post 15th Mar 2007, 11:10pm
Post #43

Super Visitor
Member No.: 1,052
hi toerag,
i used to go to nan keelings dance school it was on the top flat of what i thought was a warehouse..took my wee red tapshoes..she used to have her diplays in the springburn public halls..i lived in keppochill road,on the corner of pinkston road.

+Quote Post
GG
post 15th Mar 2007, 11:25pm
Post #44

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
QUOTE (rab hay @ 5th Mar 2007, 05:09 AM) *
the shops i remember are in no particular order from the fire station to balgray
marios chippy
curleys
lizzie mcfarlanes
mcnees chemist
mini bingo
hoeys
eureka bar
reids jewellers
rs mcolls
clydesdale bank
co-op
bells bar
travel agents
city bakeries-ma mother worked in it
henry healy
clyesdale electrics
sellyns
malt cellar off sales
snug bar
galls
wards newsagent
hamiltons dairy
butchers
mullens fruit shop
vulcan bar
galbraiths
greenlees
the haven bar
broken biscuit shop
santis
johnstons sports
record shop
woolies
brains went numb trying to remember any more. tongue.gif
corrines hairdressers

That's a mighty impressive list rab, thanks and well done!

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
Tennscot
post 16th Mar 2007, 12:12am
Post #45

Mega City Key Holder
I know how some of you feel. First time I went back to Springburn I was LOST , Totally lost. I drove up what I thought was Springburn road,that monument to the Automobile That Destroyer of Towns , Districts , Businesses , where real people Lived, Played, Worked. That Scythe that cut through the Heart of Springburn. The loss of Industry did not help Springburn,but Springburn was a Vibrant City within a City. That Monster By pass Killed it along with the lack of thought to what it would do to the Area. The Tax base alone at one time would have equalled places as big as Falkirk,Stirling and such. I feel Saddened and Guilty that I never stayed and devoted my energies to making Springburn what it could and should be. Tom and Molly Weir are Great examples of what Springburn can produce.

+Quote Post

12 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st Sep 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.