Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

12 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Springburn
tessabell
post 12th Apr 2006, 05:41am
Post #16

Unpacking
Member No.: 3,083
hi i can remember wooles on one side across the road from it was a swingpark and then you had kay st up from wooles you had a cafe and a fish shop next to kay st you also had galbrathes all i can say is that it was better for shopping back then thare is nothing in springburn now not like back then when you could spend all day walking about the shops i loved wooles back then thats were you spent your weekly money you got of your dad after he came home from work
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Melody
post 12th Apr 2006, 08:58am
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
Tessabell I bought my first lipstick in that Woolies with my Saturday pocket money. Must have been hundreds of us did the same thing. smile.gif Oh happy days. Could life hold more?

+Quote Post
norah young
post 5th Jun 2006, 11:37pm
Post #18

Unpacking
Member No.: 156
Hello.
I lived in Palermo ST and the post office used to be at the corner and the it was Galls Hoeys was at the corner of Gourley St
the block from Gourley St and Cowlairs Rd there was Reid the Jewlers a pub and a store that sold everthing and they also had a store in Cowlairs RDand a Bank on that corner Coop Fish store.Vulcan St the Bata shoe shop on the corner there was an American Barber near the stairs that took you down to Ayr St, my Son had his first hair cut in that shop.
Norah

+Quote Post
magsos
post 6th Jun 2006, 12:57am
Post #19

Super Visitor
Member No.: 1,052
hi norah,
i did my apprenticeship in the american hairdressers in springburn.happy days there..remember reids the jewellers well,and mostly all the shops in the 50`s..springburn was a great place then.a thriving community,don`t know what it`s like now.

+Quote Post
circusier
post 25th Aug 2006, 06:39am
Post #20

Unpacking
Member No.: 3,690
I lived in two places in Adamswell st (118 and another) 67/68 and at No. 42 Gourlay St. (above Kennedy's grocery shop) 70/72.

I remember Curley's (or was it Galbraiths?) (where my cousin worked and used to give me change from a tenner when I handed over a fiver for my mother's messages) across the road from McNees the Chemist (where for some reason I caused much hilarity among the staff and customers alike by asking one of the shop girls how much her tits were - I was only 7 and asked by my mum to but a dummy for my little brother). Next to Curleys was the chippie.

Across from Gourlay st and down a few shops was the fruit shop where I was paid as a 10 year old to peel dirty onions in the back for something like a shilling a bag.

At the south coner of Adamswell st and Springburn Rd was the newsagants were for about 5 shillings they would give you a refernce for anything (job, housing, etc).

+Quote Post
Avril
post 3rd Sep 2006, 08:30pm
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,509
Does anyone remember the dance hall that was in the basement of a tenement in Springburn Road opposite the fire station? I think it might have orignally been an air raid shelter. I have mentioned this to many people and they don't remember it? I went to Albert Secondary School and we used to go to dances in the tenement basement in the early '60's on a Saturday night, it was like being down in a cave....great atmosphere! Some of the boys from our school had a band and they used to play there.

--------------------
BOOKS..What's For Ye, Won't Go By Ye/Chasin' that Carrot/Mammograms Save Lives/Time Makes Changes/Treachery and Triumph...TV DRAMA..Broken Promises ...website www.avrilsaunders.co.uk

+Quote Post
lindamac
post 27th Dec 2006, 08:48pm
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,807
biggrin.gif as I recall ,Galbraiths took the corner of Kay st ,next door to Galbraiths was a fishmonger and later in 70s changed to a chippy. there was woolworths too the left of Culeys and maceys as if you were looking across the road whilst stood at galbraiths as well as a butcher shop Munros facing the park the fruiterer was at the other side of woolies next to the city Bakeries .

I remember the bus stop to get a 45 was at front of Galbraithes and across next to curleys was Maceys was a hoeyes and a hoserie shop side by side as I always got confused as they were simularly named.Heading up & turning right towards Sellyns clothes shop was where there was a McKays and Pars bakery moved up further in later 70s but originally was beside the 45 busstop as I ate many a pineapple bun waiting furr the bus haha.

Opposite there & heading up the Balgrayhill was a pub after the record shop past Munros & woolies, when one took a right and diagonly crossed the road one met up with a bus stop outside that Italian Cafe/icecream parlour ? Lidos? not sure but a mind being in it.I also remember waiting many times for a bus with mum outside that cafe .

walking past that was a bookmakers and I remember the pawn shop and then the grain store,further along was a set of lights where nearby to it was a school of dancing to learn ballet and tap,then a fishmongers when one crossed the traffic lights to other side there was that pub the boundary Bar taking up the corner......then there were 2 hard ware shops owned by same family but seperated by 1 or 2 shops in between they had simular names also ??? think it was camerons or something & oddly there was a william Donnellys funeral parlour.

As one walked along that side towards springburn park there was a shop that was named Mcqueens where I got my teachers roll and my sweets for playtime it also sold papers milk etc. Mcfarlanes was another wee shop thereabouts too Facing that shop was an opticians next to grain store & pawn shop, called Forbes as I attended it for my spectacles..

There was another Bookies on that same side of Shevalanes side too the bookies were mainly williamhills am thinking maybe wrong? then ye end up at the corner to cross over too the park where there was a hairdressers shop next to park and Ross' carpet shop was on opposite corner of Galbraiths facing Munros Butcher (which was featured in an episode of Taggart By the way).thinking back now and ..I remember the 2 hardware shops further back and near the funeral place were bright yellow in colour they stood out a mile and the grain store facing it was Black and a wee guide dog ootside it.

way doon at McNees chemist a mind of greenlees and Greenhaughs shoe shops one on either side as well as a pub called Bauldybaines too right as ye came out of mcnees and the coop faced that pub then further up from coop was a funeral home which is still there as I went to it 18mths ago to attend my brothers funeral it was Donnellys,there was another William Donnellys funeral parlour beside Mcqueens and hardware shop and there was a chippy next to shevalanes pub all this was in the 70s when I atended elmvale school and did awe mammys shopping furr her oh aye Maceys was next door tae curleys if memory serves me well.Hope ave helped somewhere amidst awe that laugh.gif

--------------------
Ye Cin Take The Lassie Oota Glesga But Ye Cannae Take Glesga Oota The Lassie

+Quote Post
lindamac
post 27th Dec 2006, 09:15pm
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
biggrin.gif somewhere up and across from Sellyns on the entire corner was the big Santis Chippie named the New Yorker and it had a restraunt alongside of it on the side street, think it was a steakhouse and had a wagon wheel inside it. before one reached sellyns there was a tv shop Mibees called Loyds or perhaps on tother side of street.? biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
scossie
post 2nd Feb 2007, 10:53am
Post #24

Super Resident
Member No.: 3,223
QUOTE (norah young @ 5th Jun 2006, 11:54 PM)
Hello.
I lived in Palermo ST and the post office used to be at the corner and the it was Galls Hoeys was at the corner of Gourley St
the block from Gourley St and Cowlairs Rd there was Reid the Jewlers a pub and a store that sold everthing and they also had a store in Cowlairs RDand a Bank on that corner Coop Fish store.Vulcan St the Bata shoe shop on the corner there was an American Barber near the stairs that took you down to Ayr St, my Son had his first hair cut in that shop.
Norah

G'day all.Hi Norah Young..Don't ye post on the Daily Record anymore.Have ye had a visit tae Birdston Road lately??Hope yir hubby is well.
Lindamac . How are ya pal..Yep .It looks like trebors ain't there anymore ..Awe ah could find was the Tavern,Ah well.
Everything fades with time...Awlavwa the noo... biggrin.gif

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Jockstrap

+Quote Post
Avril
post 2nd Feb 2007, 11:28am
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,509
Hiya Jock, Is that the Tavern in Auchinairn? Ma dad an' uncle used to go there back in the 1950's tongue.gif smile.gif

--------------------
BOOKS..What's For Ye, Won't Go By Ye/Chasin' that Carrot/Mammograms Save Lives/Time Makes Changes/Treachery and Triumph...TV DRAMA..Broken Promises ...website www.avrilsaunders.co.uk

+Quote Post
lindamac
post 3rd Feb 2007, 01:36am
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
biggrin.gif Aye Georgia hen it is,I had a nice scampi lunch when a was hame last year hen ,Seems ferr enuff Jock like everything else .........we awe move oan as I had thought cos it was mid 60s/70s when a nicked the sweeties frae trebor haha thanks furr the phoaty there Jock pal,am there the noo eating anither scampy lunch wi ma faimly och aye tis a rerr thought indeed laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
scossie
post 3rd Feb 2007, 06:19am
Post #27

Super Resident
Member No.: 3,223
QUOTE (georgia @ 2nd Feb 2007, 11:45 AM)
Hiya Jock, Is that the Tavern in Auchinairn? Ma dad an' uncle used to go there back in the 1950's tongue.gif smile.gif

It sure iz Ma dear.I never drank in it though.Had a few, but I used tae live in The Glasgow pub scene.Jackson's ..Any pub really.Not particularly any one..There was a hoose at the corner of Colston Road ,And she kept her butter and stuff ootside in a cupboard.I used tae frequent it now and again .Naughty but nice..And those apples At the fitbaw field area.The poor woman used tae offer tae buy them back when she nearly caught us..But she jist wanted a haun on us tae gie us a whack oan the ear..But alas.It never eventuated..Time for happy hour now..4.30 pm OZ time..Alavaderchy ..cheers
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Jockstrap

+Quote Post
clmcm25
post 8th Feb 2007, 09:26pm
Post #28

Unpacking
Member No.: 4,368
Did anything ever come of your book Steve? Old Springburn fascinates me. I was born around the time they started to build the A803 and its so sad living here now to see a town which is a shadow of what it used to be.

+Quote Post
flam
post 13th Feb 2007, 07:00pm
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,044
Hi Buntyq..Is this the wee funeral parlour that you where talking about in Springburn Road,about 50 yards North of Angus Street,on the left hand side of the photo is the railway Cheers Flim

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
magsos
post 13th Feb 2007, 10:11pm
Post #30

Super Visitor
Member No.: 1,052
Hi flam,
was that little shop not bradleys flower shop in the mid 50`s.

+Quote Post

12 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st Sep 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.