Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

12 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Springburn
steved
post 28th Apr 2005, 08:16am
Post #1

Settling In
Member No.: 1,905
Please post your memories of this Glasgow district here...Springburn

Were you born here? Did you grow up here?
Did you visit your aunt here? ...or your children?
Was your first home here? Were your children born here?
Did you shop here? Was your favourite cinema here?
Did you go to church here? Was your favourite pub here?
Did you 'romance' here? Did you go to school here?
Do you have a photograph from here?

Come on let us know and immortalise your memories here...Springburn

GG.

Hi...
For my project on Springburn, I'm trying 'recreate' a map detailing what shops were in Springburn Road fom Mcnee's the chemist at Flemington Street, right up to the Balgray Hill.

Can anyone remember what the names and order of shops was (on both sides of the road) all the way up in the period around 1970?
thanks if you can help

Steve

This post has been edited by GG: 17th Mar 2007, 09:08pm
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
isa
post 30th Apr 2005, 02:29am
Post #2

Lord Provost
Member No.: 425
http://gdl.cdlr.strath.ac.uk/springburn/spring141.htm

http://gdl.cdlr.strath.ac.uk/springburn/spring037.htm

http://gdl.cdlr.strath.ac.uk/springburn/springindex.html

hello,
if you go to these pages it might help,
isa

--------------------
gonnae throw us doon a piece Ma

+Quote Post
steakpie
post 1st May 2005, 04:32pm
Post #3

Super Resident
Member No.: 1,066
Those are great links, Isa. I'm going to spend hours on them. thanks.

+Quote Post
isa
post 7th May 2005, 08:58am
Post #4

Lord Provost
Member No.: 425
your welcome rolleyes.gif

--------------------
gonnae throw us doon a piece Ma

+Quote Post
Jan Williams
post 11th May 2005, 07:27am
Post #5

Super Resident
Member No.: 628
Isa, oh!! Isa, I have just had a really emotional 30mins or so. The Springburn the way I knew it, you know I could have been there myself, either as a young teenager or a child with the wee mammy. The final "hurt" was the Wellfield Church on fire. Not just as it was a church in flames, it was the whole photo, the area, my gran lived across from the boundry bar, and the area was foreign to me. I suppose if I still lived in Uk it would not affect me, but, what can I say, times change and we must move on.
Steved, I hope all goes well with your project.

+Quote Post
steved
post 12th May 2005, 02:03pm
Post #6

Settling In
Member No.: 1,905
Thank you Jan....My colleague and I are currently reconstructing Springburn Road in map form from about 1970-1 for the book I am working on. One of the problems I am finding is that some people remember earlier periods so obviously shops changed hands a bit. The project has gone very well, although I did not receive any input from here....the newspaper piece did much more.
What I do have, are candid accounts from different age groups....which is excellent...but what matters is that everyone came from a different part of Springburn, which makes it more interesting than it would have been if I had just relied on my own memories.
steve

+Quote Post
LazyVampire
post 15th Jun 2005, 12:58am
Post #7

Unpacking
Member No.: 1,098
The only shops I remember was the big Woolworths that sat right in the dip and slightly further up on the same side of the road going away from balgrayhill was a small record shop.

--------------------
LazyVampire

+Quote Post
bette
post 4th Jan 2006, 07:47pm
Post #8

Unpacking
Member No.: 2,791
hi, i worked 4 2week on a yts in 78 in the coop in springburn road, i remember curlys the deli when u stil bought a pound of butter patted into shape. good luck on your project im new 2 this site, miss the old days of my childhood biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
buntyq
post 4th Jan 2006, 10:28pm
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 15
Dont know if this will help with your research. My mother was taken to a funeral home on Springburn Road in 1974. It was past the Co and Angus Street near the railroad bridge. It was very small and I dont know the name. Apart from the Co-op all the stores were individually owned. Springburn in its heyday was a busy district.

+Quote Post
Alex Saville
post 8th Feb 2006, 10:55pm
Post #10

City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,890
Hello. The cooperative parlour was in Morrin St. Just round from Cowlairs Rd and Millerbank St. The building is still there but in a terrible state. I live just along the road in Gourlay St. Springburn is in a poor state these days. The public halls are in a disgracful state. Plenty of money for asylum seekers in Springburn, not a lot for the ordinary folks.
Alex

+Quote Post
buntyq
post 8th Feb 2006, 11:43pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 15
I am saddened to read this about Springburn. I was born in Adamswell Street. I cant understand why these historicl districts are being allowed to decay. I am sure that many of the tenements that were torn down could have been retrofitted into affordable housing.

+Quote Post
Dexter St. Clair
post 8th Feb 2006, 11:56pm
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,715
QUOTE (Alex Saville @ 8th Feb 2006, 11:12 PM)
Hello. The cooperative parlour was in Morrin St. Just round from Cowlairs Rd and Millerbank St. The building is still there but in a terrible state. I live just along the road in Gourlay St. Springburn is in a poor state these days. The public halls are in a disgracful state.
Alex

Welcome to the boards Alex.

Who made a mess of the Springburn halls? Or was it us that neglected them?

What do you think should happen to them and how should it be funded?

Are you not happy that you're getting a new college, new primary schools in addition to the new secondary school recently built in Springburn as well as the new sports centre and the library.

I see the Credit Union and the housing association are well regarded. That's quite an impressive learning centre. Do you use it yourself?

That shopping centre could be better but what do you think of the Costco and the other new buildings down at St. Rollox.

that mail sorting centre must keep a lot of locals in employment.

Are you working yourself?

My mate used to claim he was the only one in the close paying full rent. But he lives in Knightswood now.

The last big discussion on Springburn was about the best pub a Spanish girl living in Springburn could feel safe in. Any suggestions.

+Quote Post
Thomas
post 11th Feb 2006, 02:03am
Post #13

City Key Holder
Member No.: 384
The Springburn Burgh Halls would serve as a great museum, after all the area is rich in history and it's ties with the World are well known with the production of the trains.

I think it could be salvaged, funded by Private finance, lottery heratige and public finance as well as public donations. After that, it has to make it's own way in life - as a business.

When I suggest it could be used as museum - it should also be used as a multi functional centre, where conferences and receptions could be held - after all, why not?

--------------------
Exaltabo Te Domine

I will magnify thee O God

+Quote Post
tessabell
post 14th Mar 2006, 09:40pm
Post #14

Unpacking
Member No.: 3,083
hi i also worked in the old springburn in a hairdressers the of it was hellens then it was a bank and next to that was abig shop that sold clothsand across from it was a shop called Gallsi also had family from springburn wellfield street rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
sawfish
post 15th Mar 2006, 09:08am
Post #15

Unpacking
Member No.: 2,970
Its hard to believe that any council and city planners could make such an ugly disaster out of a place that was once so pretty.

It smacks of ignorance and a bit of disrespect for the working classes. Not unlike Basil Spences atrocious redevelopment of the Gorbals (which he got an award for and has now been knocked down). He was known to have no time for the working class yet was allowed to redesign the Gorbals.

+Quote Post

12 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th Sep 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.