Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

71 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Maryhill
Rating 5 V
andypisces
post 28th Aug 2003, 12:08am
Post #31

City Key Holder
Member No.: 21
Glad to catch up on this maryhill topic.I came from further doon maryhill road at queens cross.I know most of the places you talk about though as kids in those we days loved to wander.

I remember many a sunday walking from queens cross up maryhill road to the killermont bridge and over the switchback to anniesland cross and then down great western road to cleveden dr i think it was and up over the hill and down alongside the barracks and then home.Jeez worn oot jist talkin aboot it.

Then there wis a' the cafes jaconnelis at queens cross and the melrose at gairbraid ave with one at kelvinside ave in case you got hungry between queens cross and gairbraid.The juke box thruppence a song or five for a shillin. Big luscious double nougats when you got your pocket money.I can still remember going into jaconnellis the night of the manchester united air disaster.Last time i was home mario jaconneli was still working in the fish and chip shop,he had sold the cafe, and you know he still remembered all the kids who used to come in.Better stop for now could go oan a' night reminiscing about good old maryhill.......andra
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wee mags
post 28th Aug 2003, 12:58am
Post #32

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12
Hi Andy thanks for the memories,my daddy used to take me to the Melrose, for a knicker boker glory I thought about on my birthday the other day,and some sundays I used to go to the melrose and get a a jug of ice cream,and Scotslad its funny you should come up with the Halfpenny Bridge as that was my mothers maiden name and she came from a family of thirteen children, and they lived in Cumloden drive,in one of the tenements I think the number was 235.,if you evr go up the maryhill rd could you let Tom who posts on this know if the old tenements on the road up by the butny brae are gone Iam going to call my pal who lives in Saltcoats to see for me when she is in Scotland,Iam trying to get some one to take some photos for him but no one has been up that way for some time,mags biggrin.gif

--------------------
fae Maryhill noo the USA

+Quote Post
scotslad90
post 28th Aug 2003, 02:30am
Post #33

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7
The new halfpenny bridge(pedestrian)cross the Kelvin right behind the Botanic Gardens and and the road leads up to Kirklee amd Kelvinside Academy.It replaces an old bridge where the toll was 1/2P but it got swept away years ago when the Kelvin flooded.I can't find anyone that remembers it in its original state.I will check out 235 Maryhill Road in the next few days but to be honest I have no idea exactly where that might be.I will also try and borrow a digi camera if its still there and take a picture-ours got sort of dropped in the sea a few weeks ago and its not been the same since..... mad.gif

+Quote Post
wee mags
post 28th Aug 2003, 02:55am
Post #34

Mega City Key Holder
scotslad I made a mistake in my post my Grand parents lived in Cumlodden Drive at number 235,I do post wrongat times ,the place Tom wanted to know about was knowen as the butny brae there was old tenements there and along the Maryhill Rd there it was away up the Maryhill Road where you crossed the canal to get from where we lived to go to School thanks that would be very nice of you if you could get some photos of Maryhill ta much

--------------------
fae Maryhill noo the USA

+Quote Post
scotslad90
post 29th Aug 2003, 07:27am
Post #35

Mega City Key Holder
Not a problem Mags-I did'nt think it could be 235 Maryhill Road because I passed that yesterday and all the numbers around 230/239 are sort off modern council houses bordering on North Woodside Rd!.I have heard of Cumlodden but I can't place it at the moment but I will go and have a look first chance I get and see if I can get a picture or 2.
Now the Butney-I don't think he would recognise much of it now.I can just vaguely remember passing through it as a kid on my way to Firhill on a Saturday.Skaethorn road was re shapped about 15 years ago and the bridge over the Kelvin replaced.Loads of new houses were built at the bottom of the hill between the river and the Forth and Clyde.The canal itself was a Millenium project and is now used again by boats and barges and lined by miles of cycle paths.There are some tennements on the Maryhill Rd between Skaethorn Street and the turn off to Summerston but not a lot ,some pubs as well -Copper Kettle I think,Behind these tennements are the area I remember as the Butney-2/3 streets of flats that run down almost to the edge of the Kelvin.These are now all virtually empty and ready for demolition-I had heard that Barrets had bought this ground for private housing.There is also talk of new developments around the Locks area ,housing along the Canal is big business these days-

+Quote Post
wee mags
post 29th Aug 2003, 11:57am
Post #36

Mega City Key Holder
Hi Scotslad yir a weebundle of information thanks for all your information ,it will help Tom feel better I hope he reads this I have a site of the canal its a nice site and there are some photos of the canal at Maryhill where I used to cut over to go to school, http://virgin.net/m.woods/index.htm I hope I copied it right Mags wink.gif
Guess whit Scotslad a copied it wrang its http://freespace.virgin.net/m.woods/index.htm A told yae a wis no say good at gettin the sites right Sorry !!

This post has been edited by GG: 4th Sep 2003, 06:32pm

--------------------
fae Maryhill noo the USA

+Quote Post
scotslad90
post 29th Aug 2003, 01:14pm
Post #37

Mega City Key Holder
Could'nt get the site to open Mags but I will try again later.I will get some pictures taken and either post them or e mail them 2 you,might take me a couple of weeks though because I am caught up with other things at the moment. I have picked up loads of information about this area from all your postings and really enjoyed reading about Maryhill-even today its an amazingly complex area.Reading Andy's post about Jaconnelli's-I remember that even now, was a drop off place for an ice cream when my Dad and his mates went for a quick pint after the match at Firhill ,they still have a fish and chip shop there today and I believe its still the same family.Andy would have trouble recognising the walk up to Killermont Bridge-High tech Science Park on the right hand side now and the Vet school and park on the other side of the road.People laugh at this but you get deer's wondering all over this area I have actually seen one knocked down at Skaethorn Road and then helped a another guy who hit one on the Maryhill Road just past the locks and his insurance company did not believe him.Deer on the Maryhill Road -excuse me sir would you mind if we took a sample............. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
jock
post 29th Aug 2003, 09:59pm
Post #38

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 32
Really enjoying the Maryhill discussion. I was born and lived in the tenements on Simpson St. until I came to the U.S. in 1948! Never managed to make it back to Glasgow although all of my immediate family eventually moved here. Simpson St. was located just one block from Maryhill rd. between Wilton St, and Raeberry St. I remember Jaconneli's and Firhill(the Jags and greyhounds) and often walked to art gallery,botanic gardens etc.,etc. Sounds like I wouldn't know the place now. Should I just keep my old memories or should I visit now that I am retired is what I wonder. Deer on Maryhill road is really something to ponder. Thanks for the ongoing discussion.

+Quote Post
Haggis Muncher
post 30th Aug 2003, 05:55am
Post #39

Unpacking
Member No.: 416
Hi there I was born in Maryhill -Kilmun Street went to St Mary's school and the local chapel. Had lots of rellys living in butny still have lots living in Maryhill - My dad lives in the Barraks. Fond memories of Maryhill - i have a paperback book with lots of info on the old maryhill that has been reproduced with photos of the locks, butny, school, the polis station, the chapel maryhill road old shops etc if anyone interested i can let them know the name and author. Just registered in this site Makes me homesick. Came to Australia 22years ago for a working holdiday. Still here. Still working.

+Quote Post
betty2
post 30th Aug 2003, 09:05pm
Post #40

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 56
Hi haggis muncher welcome am still here in gleca (east end)22 yrs that wis surely a long holiday keep ostin rolleyes.gif

--------------------
still here in glesca

+Quote Post
Haggis Muncher
post 31st Aug 2003, 02:15am
Post #41

Unpacking
Member No.: 416
Hi Betty2 thanks for the welcome. I hope to be back in Glasgow next year for a while as i still have a sister living in Knightswood and my dad in Maryhill. What a wonderful site to find. My mother who lives in Nottingham will be here in October and she is looking forward to chatting here. She was born in Maryhill and lived there for most of her life She knows everywhere we are all chatting about. cool.gif

+Quote Post
Kayleigh
post 1st Sep 2003, 11:18am
Post #42

Lord Provost
Member No.: 248
Hi Haggis Muncher, Ah used tae live on Wyndford Road number 64u in the barracks where aboots oan the estate dis yer dad live. Ah wid luv that information oan that book oan Maryhill if ye wid be so kind. wub.gif

+Quote Post
isa
post 2nd Sep 2003, 10:44am
Post #43

Lord Provost
Member No.: 425
hello,
my fathers family are from maryhill road and went to nk school, i was just wondering if there is any one here that would remember him, i have tried other web sites, but to no avail, he was joe patrick, also my mother is from oran street, her name is dorothy (dot) turton, she has a brother bobby.
if i have put this on the wrong page i am so sory, but just wondered if they or there family were known. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
gonnae throw us doon a piece Ma

+Quote Post
wee mags
post 2nd Sep 2003, 06:38pm
Post #44

Mega City Key Holder
well, well, I take off for a few days and a cannae believe awe the folks fae Maryhill, I knew the Watsons fae the Wynford Estates also the Cairns,s and I bet I knew some more when I left it was still the barraks,as amatter of fact I was talking to one of the guys from Maryhill and he said I knew you when you were a wee lassie, so a said noo yae know me as a wee wummin ,I gave him the site and he likes it.so come on you maryhillites lets keep this wee site going let yir pals and know about this site smile.gif

--------------------
fae Maryhill noo the USA

+Quote Post
wee mags
post 3rd Sep 2003, 01:41am
Post #45

Mega City Key Holder
yoo hoo Scotslad in case you dont check the last post I done here is the Right address http://freespace.virgin.net/m.woods/index.htm
hope you get it biggrin.gif if you get it there is a picture gallery and you can see parts of the Maryhill road also part of the top of Burnhouse street I think unless its Collina st no too sure on that wan

--------------------
fae Maryhill noo the USA

+Quote Post

71 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th Dec 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.