Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

8 Pages V  « < 6 7 8  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Kinning Park
Rating 5 V
*Margaret Lafferty*
post 12th Feb 2017, 11:32pm
Post #106

Came accross this site while looking for old pictures of Our Lady and st Margaret's school in Admiral street, especially the Huts where I went, and my children.
Four generations of my family came from kinking park, or Plantation as it was sometimes called.
I lived in 45 Eaglesam st, my father owned a shop calked Woodcraft at 76 Paisley road w, we moved to Pollok in the 50s, and I moved back to kinning park when I got married lived at 92 and 94 McLellan street, this was apparently the longest street without a break, and was spelt differently at both ends.
One end was spelt McLellan st the other Maclellan st.
Tried to find a picture of my Dads shop but so far can't find any, it was next to Bells the cleaners and Kirkaldy linoleum market, what a busy place it was then.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*Jeanette Blue*
post 5th Nov 2017, 05:45am
Post #107

QUOTE (Alex MacPhee @ 16th Nov 2009, 05:39pm) *
Oh my word, Kinning Park, what a lot of street names coming back on reading these posts!

I always loved the name 'Kinning Park'. It meant 'home', and where my mum and dad brought up five children in a room and kitchen. When I was born, in 1950, my parents lived at 15 Blackburn Street, and not long after, they moved to a room and kitchen in 19 Blackburn Street. It was the close next to a wee shop run by a lady called Chrissie O'Donnell or McDonald or something like that, along with her daughter Jenny Crawford. Across the road, there was a grocer's shop, run by Mrs Annie Aird. At the corner of Blackburn St and the Govan Road, there was a shop called the Yankee Magazine Shop.

My aunt and uncle (my mum and her sister had married two brothers) lived in McLean St, and my paternal grandfather lived in Craigiehall St. My maternal grandmother, Maggie Lindsay, lived at 69 Paisley Road West, next door to 'Curleys', a food shop, where I remember queuing up and getting butter loose by the half pound from big barrels, patted into shape by the shop assistant, and wrapped in greaseproof paper. That was a special treat, for in those days, all we could afford was margarine (funny how they never call it margarine these days, it's 'spread').

I went to school at Our Lady & St Margaret's, in Stanley street, in what were called the 'huts', which were a kind of annex to the main school. My happiest schooldays were in that wee school, with a succession of lovely teachers, flowers of Scottish spinsterhood - for they were mostly spinsters dedicated to their children. My favourite of all was Miss McGuinness, and I still remember her kindly face and silvery hair.

Our family left Kinning Park in 1957 for the newer post-war housing estates springing up in places like Pollok. But strangely, my heart was always somewhere in Kinning Park, SW1. A few years ago, on returning to Glasgow, I went there to see the streets I grew up in, and the wee school where my education started. Things have to change, I know, but how sad that it was all gone. The site of the wee school had been razed, and where in my memory I was looking through the school gates and seeing scores of bairns in short trousers running and turning and birling and swinging and playing at being Spitfires shooting down the Jerries, there was nothing but wee houses. It's irrational, I know, but I felt a kind of sadness that part of my history had been bulldozed into oblivion.

I have no photographs from that time. And if any others who have history in Kinning Park have any pictures of the streets from that time, it would be wonderful to see them.

Alex

+Quote Post
*Allan McAllister*
post 19th Nov 2017, 09:18pm
Post #108

QUOTE (Beth Wilson @ 27th Jul 2011, 05:37am) *
Alex MacPhee,
You wrote long ago, but in researching my family I cannot believe the coincidence.
My Grandfathers family live at 19 Blackburn Street in Govan since the late 1800's to the mid 40's.
My great grandmother was Sarah Young. My grandfather was Mungo McAllister. I believe there was a Hettie, Katie, Sadie, Georgie, Jimmy, Archie and Alec. My grandfather moved to Canada with my mom and aunt and Nana in the mid 50's and we have lost a large majority of oor tree. DO you happen to have a pic of 19 Blackburn.
If anyone else know the family, we are looking to piece a few things together,
Cheers,
BEth

Hi Beth, it's probably a long shot that you are still actively reading this post but I hope you are as it would appear that I might(?) be a distant relative of yours! I believe that Mungo McAllister was my great uncle. My grandfather was Alexander McAllister, whose father was also named Alexander and mother's name was Harriet (nee Neilson) he had the following siblings (with ages shown from 1891 census); Jane (15), Mary (13), Archibald (11), Thomas (9), Mungo (7), Daniel (5), Alexander (3) & James (1). At one time address was 151 Blackburn Street, Govan. I have further information if you do happen to read this and wish to contact me. Kind Regards Allan.

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 6 7 8
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.