Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> European Championship 2016, In France
GG
post 12th Jun 2016, 09:25pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
All three UK teams have played in France, with mixed results:
GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GG
post 12th Jun 2016, 09:35pm
Post #2

Administrator
Group Icon
On another note, Uefa has threatened to disqualify England and Russia from Euro 2016 if there is any further violence by fans, despite video evidence quite clearly showing that the majority of incidents were on ordinary English supporters as victims of both Russian and French thugs.

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 12th Jun 2016, 11:17pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,545
I couldn't believe that after showing groups of 'fans' wearing England tops and St George flags they were called British fans on TV..

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
wombat
post 12th Jun 2016, 11:32pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,196
QUOTE (GG @ 12th Jun 2016, 09:35pm) *
On another note, Uefa has threatened to disqualify England and Russia from Euro 2016 if there is any further violence by fans, despite video evidence quite clearly showing that the majority of incidents were on ordinary English supporters as victims of both Russian and French thugs.

GG.

laugh.gif that's a laff when its ALWAYS the English hooligans that start trouble laugh.gif

--------------------
the mighty only appear mighty
because YOU are on your knees.RISE UP.

wombat thit grates oan yie.

+Quote Post
*Billy Boil*
post 13th Jun 2016, 01:02am
Post #5

QUOTE (john.mcn @ 12th Jun 2016, 11:17pm) *
I couldn't believe that after showing groups of 'fans' wearing England tops and St George flags they were called British fans on TV..

As with all sports and cultural events, if you lose you are Scottish, Welsh or Irish: if you win you are British or better still English.

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 13th Jun 2016, 06:38am
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
http://www.politico.eu/blogs/the-linesman/...shes-marseille/

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
Melody
post 13th Jun 2016, 07:53am
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 13th Jun 2016, 07:38am) *

Thanks Bilbo.s, nearer to the usual truth regarding English fans.

+Quote Post
GG
post 14th Jun 2016, 10:35pm
Post #8

Administrator
Group Icon
Russia given suspended disqualification

Russia will be thrown out of Euro 2016 if their fans cause further trouble, says European governing body Uefa.

The Russians have also been fined 150,000 euros (£119,000) following violent scenes at the game against England in Marseille on Saturday.

The suspended disqualification and fine relate only to incidents that happened inside the stadium.

There were reports of minor disturbances between rival fans in Lille on Tuesday evening.

Russia play Group B rivals Slovakia in the city on Wednesday, while England fans are congregating there before Thursday's match against Wales in the nearby town of Lens.

French authorities are increasing security before the games - 4,000 extra police and security officials will be on duty - and the sale of alcohol will be restricted in both Lille and Lens.

Mobile phone footage posted on Twitter on Tuesday showed two sets of fans confronting each other outside a bar, with chairs strewn across the pavement on the Place de la Gare in central Lille.

However, other footage posted on social media showed fans playing football in a calm city square. [...]

Full story here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36528403

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
*Billy Boil*
post 21st Jun 2016, 10:06am
Post #9

It appears to be part of the ambience of soccer that flares be thrown, accompanied by bottles and other trash.

This I believe is a reflection of the mental instability of the fans. There are many and varied "BALL" games played here, in Australia and the only ones stopped this year for flare throwing were 2 soccer teams and at soccer internationals. Australia defeated, at home, in a rugby test series for the first time in history by England needed no police interventionof any description. The main games here are Rugby, Rugby Union and Australian rules. The last arrest heard of was when a man struck a woman for telling
him to stop swearing in front of her children. He will never again set foot in a venue of his favourite sport. and was handed to the authorities by his own team fans. To have laid hands on this miscreant at a soccer match would as in all petty or trivial occurrence led to rioting on a grand scale.

And before you rage against me in refuting indignation, remember this; "Soccer Hooligans" are part of the lexicography of most English speaking nations.

Rugby Hooligans, Australian rule Hooligans, Grid Iron Hooligans, Basket Ball, Base ball. None have yet attained that unenviable suffix to their sport.

+Quote Post
Kemedian
post 21st Jun 2016, 09:27pm
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 25,884
All three UK teams are through to the next round! clap.gif clap.gif

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36592524

+Quote Post
GG
post 21st Jun 2016, 09:47pm
Post #11

Administrator
Group Icon
I didn't know that, Kemedian.

I saw he result and just assumed that Northern Ireland were out. What a fantastic achievement for the British teams... just a pity Scotland aren't there!

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
*Talisman*
post 22nd Jun 2016, 12:33am
Post #12

QUOTE (GG @ 21st Jun 2016, 09:47pm) *
I didn't know that, Kemedian.

I saw he result and just assumed that Northern Ireland were out. What a fantastic achievement for the British teams... just a pity Scotland aren't there!

GG.

In the event of Wales or the Irish identity winning they will in the media be conferred with the accolade of British.

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 22nd Jun 2016, 03:40am
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
QUOTE (Kemedian @ 21st Jun 2016, 11:27pm) *

thumbup.gif

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 22nd Jun 2016, 07:46am
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
A good outcome for the UK teams but, quite frankly, I couldn't care less. It may sound like heresy but I've been bored by the competition. The commentaries didn't help and the half-baked, half-time summations of guys who think playing football makes them experts. I have tried watching with the sound off, doesn't help much. The final group games have been better, so here's hoping the knock out rounds continue the trend.

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 22nd Jun 2016, 09:17am
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (Kemedian @ 21st Jun 2016, 10:27pm) *

When did you drop the ABE routine Kem?

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Sep 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.