Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> ' Leisure ' - Hobbies,, Leisure must include hobbies etc?
Rab
post 6th Feb 2015, 04:17pm
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 13,266
QUOTE (Billy Boil @ 5th Feb 2015, 10:08am) *
I make sailing ships at present working on the "Scottish Maid" circa 1835; was said to be the first "clipper ship" built in Aberdeen.

That's a lovely ship Billy and credit to you for building it. A very challenging build. I took on a project 2 years ago to rebuild a wrecked model of the 'ESMERALDA', the Chilean Navy training ship which is the only square rigger I have attempted but it was worth it as she was a lovely sight on the watter when I had finished her.
Rigging was very demanding as she had 19 sails !!.

Click photo as enlargement much better view.

Attached Image

--------------------
Back to using my original name... Rab
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
zascot
post 6th Feb 2015, 04:38pm
Post #17

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 612
Beautiful model Rab. I envy your talent.

--------------------
Take only photos. Leave only footprints. Kill only time.

+Quote Post
Rab
post 6th Feb 2015, 06:11pm
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
No talent zascot - just practice! Superglue is a wonderful invention too!

ESMERALDA at night ......

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
*Billy Boil*
post 7th Feb 2015, 03:12am
Post #19

QUOTE (Rab @ 6th Feb 2015, 04:34pm) *
That's a lovely ship Billy and credit to you for building it. A very challenging build. I took on a project 2 years ago to rebuild a wrecked model of the 'ESMERALDA', the Chilean Navy training ship which is the only square rigger I have attempted but it was worth it as she was a lovely sight on the watter when I had finished her.
Rigging was very demanding as she had 19 sails !!.

Click photo as enlargement much better view.

Attached Image

I was once a member of a club that sailed models; none as grand as this though. I can never put one of my wooden vessels near water. I get nervous just moving them at home. I have not been doing anything for a while now due to construction in the house and the fact that it is a very wet and humid summer here and it makes it impossible to handle the masts and riggings.

I got started on this thanks to the collection in the "Art Galleries" where my father who was a sailor took me regularly to see the ship models . A lot of my time is and was spent on military figures, mainly Hussars and Samurai.

Keep up the great work on those sails, when we go on from this place people will still gain pleasure from looking at them.

+Quote Post
*Billy Boil*
post 8th Feb 2015, 01:25am
Post #20

QUOTE (zascot @ 6th Feb 2015, 04:55pm) *
Beautiful model Rab. I envy your talent.

Dear Z.S. It is refreshing to see that there are those out there who appreciate effort and talent such as displayed by Rab. All too often when displaying my models I am damned by the faint praise "I wouldn't have
the patience to do that" Patience is as the Samurai had it, is another word for genius. My models are to exceptional standards and I have seen models that make me feel very inadequate. These serve to make me strive for that illusive perfection that can never be attained but must be striven for. Again thank you for appreciating a hobby that has been around from the time of the Pharaohs.

+Quote Post
*Billy Boil*
post 8th Feb 2015, 01:27am
Post #21

QUOTE (Rab @ 6th Feb 2015, 06:28pm) *
No talent zascot - just practice! Superglue is a wonderful invention too!

ESMERALDA at night ......

Attached Image

Recognized it as I saw the original in Melbourne during the tall ships
visit for the bi-centennial in 1988.

+Quote Post
Rab
post 14th Feb 2015, 07:05pm
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
10 days, 351 views - only one other ship modeller! Is that all the interest from 11,000 members? - come on and tell us what you do for a hobby - or is this another waste of time? rolleyes.gif I might just send this round the Clyde to wake ye's all up!

[
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
*Glasgow Guest*
post 14th Feb 2015, 07:09pm
Post #23

QUOTE (Rab @ 14th Feb 2015, 07:22pm) *
10 days, 351 views - only one other ship modeller! Is that all the interest from 11,000 members? - come on and tell us what you do for a hobby - or is this another waste of time? rolleyes.gif I might just send this round the Clyde to wake ye's all up!

[
Attached Image

Where does it say that sharing Rab's interests is compulsory? I grew out of model-making when I was eleven!

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 15th Feb 2015, 04:34pm
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
Hi Rab, now into my 6th year of retirement I'm still wondering which Hobby I should dedicate my free time to: If I ever get free time that is.
My intented Hobby was Stargazing, mainly because I'm a night-owl anyway, but several things stood in my way there. First and foremost was that Mary's Family were not too happy with me erecting my observatory on the terrace above my bedroom. I'd laid out the floor plan on the Keller floor and had already built the eight segments, (like cake slices, making it easier to carry and assemble) using 25mm box-section steel. I had 100mm box-section aluminium supports to raise the observatory 1m50 from the terrace Level. Access would be gained from an extending ladder from my garden.
The Problem was that Mary's Family were frightened that this would extend an open invite to every hurglar within a hundred miles: My assurence that the ladder would be permanently moved by remote control and locked in a Position out of reach of the tallest burglar and; for added security, be under constant electric current flow when not in nightly use, laugh.gif did not do anything to reassure Mary's mum who lives in the flat above us and who's terrace, or a small Corner of which, I'd be using to Position my observatory.
During the following years where the discussion nearly went my way and it looked like I might have final Agreement on the go-ahead I learned that a Problem with my left eye which I'd been told was remedial turned out to be not so. It was concluded that I suffered AMD.
Since my right eye was no use for telescopic-star-gazing due to damage incurred after an accident where a sheared rivet head left me with double Vision over Long-distance viewing in that eye, it became obvious even to me that my star-gazing nights would in future be better conducted in the comfort of my Computer room ... and a damn sight warmer anyway tongue.gif
Oil painting was next on the Hobby list ... but I've so many "unfinished" works due to the fact that oil takes so Long to dry that I get fed-up waiting to get on with the next stage.
This was my first attempt with oil. The subjects were our two cats which we had adopted from a shelter about 14 years ago. The joke was that These two wouldn't have shared the same room together never mind being found in such a pose. rolleyes.gif
Attached Image

A Detail of the above featuring our Big Maus ...

Attached Image

This one, in Acrylic colours, was for a friend who's German Shepherd "Lady" had passed away ...

Attached Image

... and a 3D gravestone for my mate Detlef who's dearly loved cat "Tequila" went to that Great-Hunting-Ground-In-The-Sky

Attached Image

This used to be a "Tanner's Tree" in our garden but rather than completely removing it I thought I could make use of it ... The carving tool was a butcher's cleaver laugh.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 15th Feb 2015, 04:40pm
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
The remains of the Tanner's Tree.

Attached Image

The thing is Rab, that none of the above could be classed as part of any Hobby (other than the observatory) since the art pieces were really only a case of doing favours for friends; including the cats for Mary.

So, I'm still considering what I might adopt as a Hobby when I do eventually get some free time for myself.
If I could afford a really good camera I'd probably opt for photography. tongue.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 15th Feb 2015, 04:47pm
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
Mary also thinks it would be a good idea if I could get around to finishing the Portrait of Charlie and the Big Maus tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 16th Feb 2015, 12:35am
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,412
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 15th Feb 2015, 05:04pm) *
Mary also thinks it would be a good idea if I could get around to finishing the Portrait of Charlie and the Big Maus :P

Hello TeeHeeHee

I have been reading your posts in other topics as well as this one. You have had a very interesting life, and you are talented. You have survived some serious injuries, but have retained your sense of humour. I think you should write your life story - dare I say it, before it is too late!

Best regards

Danny Harris

P.S. for Rab. You are very talented too. I gave up building models when I was 14. I built one of those kit model aeroplanes, made of balsam wood with elastic to power the propeller. I lived in a tenement top floor. After completing the job, I told all of my pals to go down to the back court and spread out in order to retrieve the aeroplane. I wound up the elastic, released the 'plane out of the window. It turned upside down, then nose dived in a spin and crashed to the ground.

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 16th Feb 2015, 08:15am
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
Danny, in the early 60s a small group of us were hooked on building airfix kits. One guy was the top dog in model making, his name was Danny McGonigal and he later joined the airforce in America. He also made the balsa aeroplanes then covered the frame in a kind of tissue paper. The paper was painted with a "size" which tightened and sealed up the paper. He was showing me the process and took his plane over to the coal fire to speed up the drying process. He obviously forgot how flammable the size was and pretty soon he was trying to stuff a foot long burning plane into the fire ohmy.gif

Danny was a bit embarrassed but that soon changed when his father came into the living room and, as I made a hasty retreat, started skelping him tongue.gif

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 16th Feb 2015, 01:26pm
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
Ash, my 10 year older brother and his mate used to spend hours building those Balsa Wood aircraft and then set them into the air after they'd deliberately put a light to the tail-planes. rolleyes.gif
He also build model ships like the "Santa Maria", or the "Santa Crux" I think, and such but when finished he donated them to the Childrens Ward in Hairmyers Hospital in East Kilbride.

DannyH, thanks for the compliment. wink.gif
Funnily enough it was only last week that I thought I'd better start writing now because of the recent realisation that if my right eye starts to deteriorate any more I'll have left it too late to write at all since the left eye has this AMD affliction already.
When I met Mary 25 years ago I was in the process of writing but Mary couldn't understand that I couldn't just stop at the drop of a ladel when she'd got the evening meal ready or when she needed me to attend to some household chore or other unsure.gif so at the end I just gave it up as a bad idea for a while and Gathering Moss became another "unfinished work" ... much to the chagrin of my German mate Michael who had been translating it at the time and using some of it during his studies (English & Germanic) at Basel Uni.
I guess that what I'll have to do is dedicate one particular day a week to it ... or burn the midnight oil on it.
Cheers,
Tomi.

--------------------

+Quote Post
serabash
post 16th Feb 2015, 03:23pm
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,438
one of my hobbies right now is teaching myself with books how to draw.

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Jul 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.