Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

23 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> World Cup 2014, Comments, tips, players to watch for, who are you supporting
Dimairt
post 7th Jun 2014, 02:27pm
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,616
The opening match takes place next Thursday and I've got my World Cup chart ready. I'm looking forward to a footie-fest with lots of close-ups of female Brazilian fans; gratuitous mentions of 1966 and all that; anybody who plays two good games in a row being "linked with a move to the Premiership"; the Italians being "prima-donnas"; the Germans' play being described as "Teutonic efficiency"; any African side being "tactically naive" and , of course, the "Group of Death."

Who are you going to support: Brazil, Spain, England or one of the wee diddy teams?

Who do you think will win?

How long into the opening game will it take the commentator to mention England and 1966?

Look forward to your comments.

Durachdan,

Eddy

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 8th Jun 2014, 07:38am
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
I'm finding it hard to work up any enthusiasm for the event and (unusually) not particularly looking forward to the wall to wall TV coverage. A programme with highlights would be enough for me. As it is, I will pick and choose which games I watch.

As for the overall winner, I think the competition is likely to favour South American countries like Argentina and Uruguay. Spain and Germany could beat Brazil but I think the home team might do it again rolleyes.gif

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 8th Jun 2014, 08:15am
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
Naturally I 'll be supporting Spain, but I don't think they are up to pulling it off twice in a row.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 8th Jun 2014, 08:16am
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
I have to agree with Ash, this is the least excited i have ever been for a World cup, i have only just read that the opening ceremony is this coming Thursday, i normally would have had the date it kick's off memorised months before, eagerly counting down the day's until it starts.

All i know about the build up is the protests and riots that have been going on in the cities hosting the games, even yesterday their was clashes between striking railway workers and riot police.

But hopefully all the news will be on the park, i'm not really bothered who wins but i think if not the hosts (i haven't seen enough of them to form an opinion) then Argentina or Germany although no European country has ever won the trophy in the six previous South American World cups, Brasil, Uruguay and Argentina all winning twice (sorry, i'm a football anorak) my tip as a dark horse would be Chile, even though they are in Spain and Holland's group.

Hang on, i'm getting a bit excited now............Roll on Thursday. laugh.gif

QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 8th Jun 2014, 09:32am) *
Naturally I 'll be supporting Spain, but I don't think they are up to pulling it off twice in a row.

I can't remember the last time i managed that............ ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Dimairt
post 8th Jun 2014, 12:34pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
I now have three World Cup wall-charts: Daily Mail and Herald yesterday; Observer, easily the best, today.

Durachdan,

Eddy

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 8th Jun 2014, 01:26pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Dimairt @ 8th Jun 2014, 01:51pm) *
I now have three World Cup wall-charts: Daily Mail and Herald yesterday; Observer, easily the best, today.

Durachdan,

Eddy

Jeez Eddy, and i thought i was an anorak. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 8th Jun 2014, 01:28pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
A Turkish FB friend yesterday wished Scotland well in the World Cup. Don't know if he was being sarky, or just wishing to appear unbiased with his tourist clentele.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
Dimairt
post 8th Jun 2014, 05:14pm
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 8th Jun 2014, 02:43pm) *
Jeez Eddy, and i thought i was an anorak. laugh.gif

You are; so am I. Have you filled in your predictions for the first round of games yet? Oh joy!

Durachdan,

Eddy

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 8th Jun 2014, 06:11pm
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Dimairt @ 8th Jun 2014, 06:31pm) *
You are; so am I. Have you filled in your predictions for the first round of games yet? Oh joy!

Durachdan,

Eddy

No i haven't Eddy, but as a bit of fun we could have a prediction competition (just for fun of course, unless Martin wanted to put up a bottle of malt for the winner) on the days of the matches and do a running total league table eg 5pts for correct score, 3pts correct winner, 1pt for correct goals scored.

It could bring the YES & NO voters together as a break from referendum hostilities.

What do we think?

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 8th Jun 2014, 06:17pm
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
Ive managed a modest each way on Germany but really its hit and hope as far as Im concerned.

+Quote Post
ktv
post 8th Jun 2014, 06:24pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,730
I usually watch most of it but agree with those above that said this one is the least exciting yet.

I don't know if its the build up that's been poor but im just no bothered at all so far.....maybe when it pick up n ive seen a couple of good games the excitement will come flooding back.

don't really care who wins it but I like to see the wee teams doing well.

look out for japan

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 8th Jun 2014, 06:29pm
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (ktv @ 8th Jun 2014, 07:41pm) *
don't really care who wins it but I like to see the wee teams doing well.

Like England laugh.gif

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 8th Jun 2014, 06:34pm
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
dugald_old
post 8th Jun 2014, 07:05pm
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,553
Durachdan, I'm not a great football fan but I do like to watch the World Cup. Who am I going to support? It adds something of course to one's entertainment if one watches the games with a wild or unconscious support for some team or other. I would have supported Scotland as I always have whenever they made it into the championship, but in their absence I'll cheer for the other British team, England, and hope they win. Failing England, my support would switch to Germany, and should they lose out I'd probably stop watching the games until the final.

Who do I think will win? If I were betting, I'd bet on Spain. How long into the opening game will it take before the commentator mentions England and 1966? I doubt it will even be mentioned in our National News which will be covering the games. Even if it is mentioned, it wouldn't bother me one iota... I celebrated England's win in 1966, and I'd happily do so again. Let me say that if Scotland ever won the World Cup I'd never stop talking about it. I think there is some of "the lady doth protest too much..." about those who make fun of the English tendency to recall their world cup victory.

+Quote Post
ktv
post 8th Jun 2014, 08:17pm
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,730
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 8th Jun 2014, 07:46pm) *
Like England laugh.gif

ive heard theres a rumour going round that they won it before.

youd think some one would mention it now n then if they did wacko.gif

laugh.gif

+Quote Post

23 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Jul 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.