Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

14 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rugby, Anything related to the gentlemans game?
GG
post 7th Jun 2012, 06:18am
Post #31

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
QUOTE (tombro @ 5th Jun 2012, 12:48pm) *
Just watched the Rugby match between Scotland and Australia. ...

As reported in the Times:
Australia 6 Scotland 9

For sheer bloody-minded, backs-tothe-wall determination with the odds stacked against you, this display by Scotland would be hard to beat.

Counted out after their worst World Cup and a whitewash in the RBS Six Nations Championship, they travelled to Australia and produced one of those defensive efforts that will go down in history, winning with a penalty goal that was awarded and kicked after the 80 minutes had elapsed yesterday.

True, they were helped by the storm that rolled into town a couple of hours before the game and hit full intensity during the match, with the wind gusting up to 80mph as the rain lashed down, but as Ross Ford, the captain, said later, conditions were the same for both sides.

Hero of the hour was Greig Laidlaw, the fly half, who, with the clock already well past the 80-minute mark, stepped up to take the penalty that he knew would make the difference between a battling draw and a famous win.

Well done the Scottish rugby team!

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
beth
post 7th Jun 2012, 06:36am
Post #32

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 8,349
ah ah missed it! mad.gif

+Quote Post
tombro
post 8th Jun 2012, 10:13am
Post #33

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,289
That bloody storm had been around for two days before, Martin !

However, the Aussies now play the Welsh in three tests, the first one this weekend and, believe it or not, the Aussie Supporters are not looking forward to being beaten four times in a row !

Tombro rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Today is the first day of the rest of your life !

+Quote Post
beth
post 9th Jun 2012, 01:52pm
Post #34

Super Lord Provost
Waiting patiently for our game. EnglandvSA getting ready to light the fire for the braai, a couple of bottles of nice SA Reds. Bit chills here but being Durban still good enough to sit outside. Go the Bokke

+Quote Post
Scots Kiwi Lass
post 9th Jun 2012, 09:26pm
Post #35

City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,097
I envy you being able to sit outside, Beth. We can't always manage that, even in summer! We had heavy snow here on Wednesday, making me house-bound till Friday night. I hate snow with a vengeance and it is still lying in patches in my garden.

I didn't see your game but heard the result. Hope it was a good game. The All Blacks beat Ireland by a 'country mile' and have discovered some classy new players. I saw some of the Australia/Wales game, won by Australia, but it looked like Wales tried hard.

Not a good weekend for the Northern Hemisphere!

--------------------
Kia mau ki to Maoritanga
.............. Hold fast to your culture

+Quote Post
beth
post 11th Jun 2012, 06:58am
Post #36

Super Lord Provost
The result was great but not a wonderful game by either team. I am not an expert but Allan reckoned New Zealand and Australia would have creamed both of them.
Our weather is brilliant a bit chills this morning but still a magnificent walk on the beach. People getting excited now looking for the Sardines

+Quote Post
zascot
post 11th Jun 2012, 08:38am
Post #37

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 612
Scot Kiwi Lass, you must remember Beth lives in Durban where anything under 20 deg C is winter. biggrin.gif . Dave Grieve and I live in Johannesburg where yesterday it was -1 at 06:00, I know I was out in it taking photographs, by lunchtime its ok. In July we go to Durban and wear short sleeves, the locals wear jackets. yes.gif Come up here Beth and freeze with us. thumbup.gif

--------------------
Take only photos. Leave only footprints. Kill only time.

+Quote Post
Scots Kiwi Lass
post 11th Jun 2012, 03:10pm
Post #38

City Key Holder
Zascot - I didn't know it got so cool anywhere in South Africa! Our expected maximum temp for tomorrow (Tuesday) is 7 deg, with sleety rain. Yuk. Still, a big improvement on last week when it was the coldest day on record, around -2 daytime maximum.

I've been shaken awake at 2.30 am this morning (it's now 3.20) with yet another aftershock. This one was 4.2 and about 8 km from where I live and around 8 km deep, I think. I decided to get up and am just having a cup of tea, hoping to get back to sleep for a bit.

Cheers,

--------------------
Kia mau ki to Maoritanga

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 12th Jun 2012, 06:09am
Post #39

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
Hi Kiwi Lass just a follow up to Zascots post the reason Joburg gets so cold in winter is because it sits at 5700 feet, the summit of Ben Nevis is only 4400 feet.
the consolation is we dont get rain from May until September or October with blue skys almost everyday and daytime temperatures ranging from 10c to 20c at its coldest.
We think its cold wub.gif

+Quote Post
zascot
post 12th Jun 2012, 07:59am
Post #40

Super City Key Holder
It`s down to 25 deg C in Durban today Dave looks like Beth will be getting the winter clothes out. biggrin.gif Lucky for some. Beth are you hibernating for winter tongue.gif thumbup.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
beth
post 13th Jun 2012, 07:47pm
Post #41

Super Lord Provost
Polar bears couldn't live here this last couple of days. getting the port out and even wearing a jersey. Looking forward to the next test. getting tired of Allan and his Europe fitba. Should we start another thread on how the Bafana bafana coach gets paid as much as a member of parliament ????? and they NEVER win!! biggrin.gif tongue.gif wink.gif

+Quote Post
beth
post 13th Jun 2012, 07:49pm
Post #42

Super Lord Provost
Nothing to do with rugby, but I still am wearing the jacket I bought about 14 years ago. It still looks good. Really cold here today, I even wore shoes as opposed to sandals!! think it went down to about 17c

+Quote Post
beth
post 13th Jun 2012, 08:18pm
Post #43

Super Lord Provost
zascot, mibbe, if you feel like it, we could get together for a coffee, or glass of wine or something when you are down next month. Allan and I love the George in Umhlanga at lunchtime. Just a thought for a wee GG (and other places) get together or even down our way. Just to keep on theread, we could watch rugby on TV somewhere!

+Quote Post
zascot
post 14th Jun 2012, 05:15am
Post #44

Super City Key Holder
There you go Kiwilass 17 deg c and Beth thinks it`s winter. Beth that`s a good idea, I might be down before that as I`m often at Huletts in PMB and stay in Durban when I`m there. I`ll remember to bring my Parka amd snowshoes in case it drops to 17 again. laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Scots Kiwi Lass
post 14th Jun 2012, 09:59am
Post #45

City Key Holder
Maybe you guys in S.A. should watch this Saturday's rugby match in Christchurch (between the All Blacks and Wales).

Apart from some classy rugby, you will possibly get an insight into just how cold, "cold" really is. Saturday's forecast is minimum -2 deg, maximum 6 deg, with rain clearing. Hopefully it will be that warm!! It will be very pleasant watching it in the comfort of home (about 1 km from the stadium).

Cheers,
SKL

--------------------
Kia mau ki to Maoritanga

+Quote Post

14 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Jul 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.