Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

8 Pages V  « < 6 7 8  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Time For A Benny Lynch Statue?, Should city's sporting legend be honoured?
Mathieson
post 17th Dec 2010, 05:45pm
Post #106

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,207
QUOTE (Dunvegan @ 17th Dec 2010, 01:28am) *
Benny Lynch was from Govan. Not the Gorbals. He boxed at the TOC. H youth club but I cant recal its location in Govan.
Dunvegan

Benny was born in Hutchesontown, Gorbals in 1913.

--------------------
Three cheers for the Red, White and Blue !
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chrissie
post 22nd Dec 2010, 05:50am
Post #107

Super Resident
Member No.: 8,556
Jupiter,

Your People's Palace idea is brilliant. I would gladly chip in. He was beloved by the Glasgow people.

Benny was a bigger deal than a lot of the younger generation realized. Back in the sixties when I met my husband he had a close friend who was also a Scottish boxer, a Dumbarton man named Teddy O'Neill, who is now passed on. I remember my husband asking Teddy once about Benny Lynch. if he'd ever met him and the look of awe that came across Teddy's face. Teddy was a no slouch, a champion in his own right, but he plainly idolized Benny whom he'd only met once and treasured the encounter.

+Quote Post
flam
post 22nd Dec 2010, 11:55am
Post #108

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,044
Hi All ..Here is a photo of Benny Lynch,s grave stone..Cheers Flim

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Chrissie
post 27th Dec 2010, 04:27am
Post #109

Super Resident
Member No.: 8,556
Thanks, Flam.

I've never seen it before. The words are just right for Benny. Sorry to hear about his son. They both died young.

+Quote Post
GG
post 5th Dec 2011, 07:36am
Post #110

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Alex Morrison, the Glasgow-based boxing promoter, has, sadly, lost an irreplaceable collection of boxing memorabilia in a blaze that completely destroyed his Dalmarnock gym on Thursday afternoon. Losses include prized items which were part of the documented history of Benny Lynch's tragic career, including photographs and world title fight contracts.

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
allyfan
post 5th Dec 2011, 06:01pm
Post #111

Unpacking
Member No.: 11,241
Benny Lynch in his later years used to drink in the Bantaskin Bar in the Butney, he would let anybody punch him in exchange for a drink.

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 5th Dec 2011, 11:33pm
Post #112

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,697
Thats really sad allyfan.

+Quote Post
GG
post 6th Dec 2011, 12:20am
Post #113

Administrator
Group Icon
It is sad Glasgow Lass, however, much as here are many myths around Benny Lynch's tragic life after his boxing career ended, I have heard this from other sources who say that they were present when this happened. Tragic, very sad, considering Benny's in-ring exploits should have assured him a place in Scotland's history of sporting heroes.

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 6th Dec 2011, 10:14pm
Post #114

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,697
Thanks for that GG, I enjoyed the film it was really great, tho not a fan of boxing but when you see one of your own well it changes everything ! smile.gif ,,,, I can certainly appreciate the tallent and skill that Benny had in the ring. smile.gif

+Quote Post
southsider
post 6th Dec 2011, 11:54pm
Post #115

Special Visitor
Member No.: 1,754
I have a wee Benny Lynch connection. My mother was born at 49 Clyde Place upstairs from his gym.(mentioned in his biography) She and her brother used to watch him train. When the gym closed, a sheet metal shop moved in, which is where she met my dad. Still married after 69 years. Dad is an avid boxing fan, and still remembers Benny Lynch fondly.

+Quote Post
GG
post 1st Sep 2015, 10:36pm
Post #116

Administrator
Group Icon
An update on this story in the Evening Times today:
Campaign for statue Benny Lynch to be remembered

The campaign to erect a statue in honour of Scots world boxing champion Benny Lynch is growing momentum.

Already, high profile Scots such as actor Robert Carlyle and writer Irvine Welsh leant their weight to the plans.

Carlyle, currently starring in the film The Legend of Barney Thomson, tweeted; ‘This is long overdue. The man should be remembered and honoured with a statue in Central Station.’

The Glasgow train station reference is apt; more than 20,000 people crowded into the station in September 1935 after Gorbals-born Lynch won the World, European and British fly-weight boxing championships after beating Jackie Brown at Belle Vue, Manchester in two rounds. And more than a 100,000 lined the streets to see Lynch parade his trophy.

However, despite being Scotland’s first world boxing champion, Lynch’s success was never commemorated with a lasting tribute.

Lynne Lees is behind the crowdfunding campaign to raise money for a statute, which is being supported by Trainspotting writer, Irvine Welsh.

“He fought his way from the streets to the ring and in turn conquered the world,” she said of the fighter who honed his skills in fairground boxing booths. ...

Full story here:
http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/1363769..._be_remembered

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
*Tally Rand*
post 5th Sep 2015, 05:04pm
Post #117

Strewn around Glasgow and other Scottish towns and cities are monuments to the glorious imperial past when English Britain ruled the waves and several millions of black and brown inhabitants of conquered lands, them having no say in their servitude. Today we are all that exists of England's empire (oh! The six counties of Ulster). The statues are in total, except for a few scattered images of Robert Burns, of those born on the soil of England.

There will be I am sure, another referendum, whose outcome may see a restoration of pride in what was longer an independent nation than a vassal state. Statues to our Scottish race need to replace those tired and irrelevant imposts.

Benny Lynch is a good start and while we are on the subject, the unsung heroes of Scottish labour who would be truly fitting of monuments to their endeavour.

+Quote Post
maz2180
post 10th Sep 2015, 08:08pm
Post #118

Unpacking
Member No.: 30,573
The Benny Lynch campaign is up and running and you can get all the information at the website here:

www.penny4benny.wix.com/bennylynch

Her you can find information on some high profile supporters and how to donate.

Thanks!

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 9th May 2016, 10:30pm
Post #119

A recent Herald report that actor Robert Carlyle is backing the appeal to have a statue of Benny Lynch erected in the boxer's home town of Glasgow.

Full report can be found on this link:
Benny Lynch Statue

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 6 7 8
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th Aug 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.