Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Memories Of Scotia Street, New City Road, St George's Cross
dancer
post 9th Jun 2009, 08:03am
Post #1

Settling In
Member No.: 5,613
Can anyone say when Scotia Street was demolished to make way for the M8 motorway in the St George's Cross area of the city; and are there any enduring memories of life in Scotia Street?

Regards,
Dancer
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dimairt
post 9th Jun 2009, 09:56am
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,616
"This church stood in Carrington Street at New City Road, Cowcaddens. It was built in 1872 and demolished, probably soon after 1962, when the area was redeveloped and the congregation united with Lansdowne."

Dancer,
I can't put an exact date on demolition but as you'll see from the above, which relates to Burnbank United Presbyterian Church, the area was being cleared and readied for for the motorway soon after 1962.
Demolition went on for a long time e.g the Charing Cross Hotel and one side of St George's Rd went in 1968 - the motorway was a huge project
The photos of New City Rd on the Virtual Mitchell show a very run-down area; helpfully most have dates on them and fits with date given above. This one is from 1964 and shows the buildings on the corner of Scott St.
New City Rd itself is a dead-end now with only the former Woolworth's building standing and traffic going into town on the new Phoenix Rd.

Le durachd,
Eddy

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Heather
post 9th Jun 2009, 02:25pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
The demolishing of Scotia Street and surrounding area did not start until 1964 / 65.
I know that as I lived in 90 Shamrock Street right facing a Church, can't remember the name.

We were not given much notice when the men from the Council came round condemning the building.
We thought it would be quite a few years before we would have to move and as we were saving up to buy a bigger Flat it did not suit us that within a few weeks we had to move out.

We moved to Easterhouse on the 22nd November 1963 a date that has always stuck in my mind.
With all the family helping with the removal, we put the TV on to keep the children out our way. Everything stopped when a news flash came on announcing that President Kennedy had been assassinated.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
**susan**
post 17th Jun 2009, 01:38am
Post #4

QUOTE (Heather @ 9th Jun 2009, 02:42pm) *
The demolishing of Scotia Street and surrounding area did not start until 1964 / 65.
I know that as I lived in 90 Shamrock Street right facing a Church, can't remember the name.

We were not given much notice when the men from the Council came round condemning the building.
We thought it would be quite a few years before we would have to move and as we were saving up to buy a bigger Flat it did not suit us that within a few weeks we had to move out.

We moved to Easterhouse on the 22nd November 1963 a date that has always stuck in my mind.
With all the family helping with the removal, we put the TV on to keep the children out our way. Everything stopped when a news flash came on announcing that President Kennedy had been assassinated.

Hi,

My Grandmother and Aunt both lived in number 90 and moved to Penilee the very day you moved out. I remember a Mrs James and a Mrs Steen and I think there was a family called Donahoe but it was so long ago andi was quite young.

+Quote Post
27stowst
post 17th Jun 2009, 08:41pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,716
I had a friend at school who lived above Munro's the cleaners in the pic. Her name was Maureen Slaven.

--------------------
Slainte Mhor

+Quote Post
GG
post 17th Jun 2009, 09:01pm
Post #6

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
You can only see small thumbnails on the free version of SCRAN here:

http://www.scran.ac.uk/database/results.ph...cotia+street%22

The two photos refer to a tenement collapse in Scotia Street in October 1968, apparently police and workers managed to save one Richard Fox who had been trapped in the rubble.

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
GG
post 17th Jun 2009, 09:07pm
Post #7

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Also found the following memory of Scotia Street on the difficult-to-navigate site www.pastplaces.com:

CELEBRATED END OF WW2.WITH BONFIRES &PARTIES
7 SCOTIA STREET,
GLASGOW
LANARKSHIRE,
UNITED KINGDOM - SCOTLAND.

Reason For Listing: Interested In Its History. I Am Interested In Obtaining: Old Photographs. Photographs Of The Street Or Road. Information On Old Friends. I Have Available: Interested In The Period From 1940 To 1946.

just teenage years when shamrock st.was the best st in the world for roller skating.also grove st school and st georges rd were the cats meeow when it came to good schools and teachers.the moir family were my pals also the greeners.the cobblers shop in the close and the gayfield bar on the corner.it used to be a swanky neighbourhood as we had our own toilet and some even had a bathtub.(no us)we also lived on pheonix park terrace but i was younger so i dont remeber much of it. but there was a park close by.off the garscube road.i think.loved that plac. archie.

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
sujay
post 20th Jun 2009, 02:16pm
Post #8

Visitor
Member No.: 7,044
QUOTE (GG @ 17th Jun 2009, 09:24pm) *
Also found the following memory of Scotia Street on the difficult-to-navigate site www.pastplaces.com:

GG.

know of mclean family who lived in p/p/t during the war years.

+Quote Post
sujay
post 27th Jun 2009, 10:09pm
Post #9

Visitor
Member No.: 7,044
To Heather,

I think you must have known my Grandparents, they lived at 90 pre war Jinny and Paddy Campbell . Granda died 57. In 63 Gramma left Shamrock St to live in Penilee witn my Uncle Pat and Auntie Mattie who had lived in 90 for 10 years.

Regards Susan

+Quote Post
Heather
post 27th Jun 2009, 10:59pm
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Sujay, I may have known your g'parents as the name does ring a bell, but after all these years I can't say for certain.
Did they live on the 2nd floor to the right???

We lived in the top flat on the left hand side hallway as you came up the stairs. Our windows looked on to the street and we lived there for 5 years,1958--1963.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Agnes & Robert
post 17th Oct 2009, 01:16am
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,256
When you mentioned the Hotel at Charing Cross I take it that you were talking about The Grand Hotel, I'm trying to pinpoint Scotia Street I know it but can't place it, it was a long time ago

+Quote Post
Heather
post 17th Oct 2009, 09:33am
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Robert, Scotia Street was just along from the Cambridge Cinema on the opposite side of the Road.

It ran from New City Road to Shamrock Street.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Harper
post 5th Mar 2014, 12:53am
Post #13

Settling In
Member No.: 25,694
[size="4"][/size]Hi my parents lived at 31 scotia street glasgow in 1954 when i was born, their names where harper, i dont remember much about scotia street then biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Heather
post 13th Mar 2014, 10:54pm
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Hey Harper, is your surname Beckham. laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
*Angie Murray*
post 13th Aug 2019, 10:41pm
Post #15

Hi
I've just found out my great grandparents lived at 3 Scotia Street in 1926. There names were Archie and Janet McDougall.Where was Scotia street?

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th Sep 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.