Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mp Gets Twiggy Advert Banned, Jo Swinson campaigns against airbrushing
Twiggy Olay Advert
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total registered members' Votes: 25
Guests cannot vote 
GG
post 17th Dec 2009, 10:08pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Bishopbriggs' MP Jo Swinson has been successful in her campaign to have a 'misleading' Twiggy advert removed from publication. The glossy magazine ad for an Olay beauty product featuring Twiggy – looking surprisingly young and wrinkle-free – has been banned by the advertising watchdog, after more than 700 complaints were collected by a campaign against airbrushing in ads by the Liberal Democrat MP.

In the magazine ad, 60-year-old Twiggy, who also features in Marks & Spencer's TV campaigns, promotes the Olay Definity eye illuminator. Her air-brushed photo appears next to the words:
"Olay is my secret to brighter-looking eyes. Because younger-looking eyes never go out of fashion ... reduces the look of wrinkles and dark circles for brighter, younger-looking eyes."

Following the successful campaign to have the ad removed Ms Swinson (29) said:
When the ASA [Advertising Standards' Authority] told me it couldn't take action unless it received complaints about airbrushing, the Real Women campaign machine went into action. Through the campaign's website, we got almost 1000 people to write in and complain about the Olay Definity advert featuring Twiggy.

The ASA has ruled that the ad misleads consumers by suggesting the product can give them a look which was actually achieved through digital retouching, but that it doesn't break the ASA's rules on social responsibility. But there is plenty to suggest that idealised media images can have a very real and harmful effect.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Do you think the ad should have been banned?

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
marydee
post 17th Dec 2009, 10:21pm
Post #2

City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,766
Women of 60 don't look like like that and as it turns out neither does Twiggy. Airbrushed she doesn't even look like Twiggy.

+Quote Post
Alex MacPhee
post 17th Dec 2009, 11:36pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,183
QUOTE (marydee @ 17th Dec 2009, 10:19pm) *
Airbrushed she doesn't even look like Twiggy.

I simply wouldn't have recognised her, though I think Twiggy is pretty just as she is. The message that can be taken from Olay is loud and clear : our products don't work, but Photoshop does.

Useless fact #1432 in an occasional series : my next door neighbour is Twiggy's sister.

--------------------
Alex

+Quote Post
*alastair olds*
post 18th Dec 2009, 03:09am
Post #4

What a small-minded group. Embittered would seem to sum up their manifesto! Get your teeth into real problems.......airbrushing.....pshaw!

+Quote Post
*Govanhill Girl*
post 18th Dec 2009, 04:57am
Post #5

Here are some more form our local Tassie newspaper gallery:

http://tools.themercury.com.au/photo-gallery/index.php

+Quote Post
donaldanderson
post 18th Dec 2009, 06:43am
Post #6

Visitor
Member No.: 5,911
Who's Jo Swinson? What has she got to say aboot the mess they have left Scotland in?

Whit aboot that other fat bustard and rip off merchant frae Bishopbriggs, who was airbrushed oot o' the House of Commons, Lord Bishopbriggs Mick?

+Quote Post
jcjamieson
post 18th Dec 2009, 07:02am
Post #7

Settling In
Member No.: 1,360
What a great job an MSP is doing with Twiggy's eye ad !!!!!
Never mind Twiggy's eyes .....................What about clearing the streets of ASBO merchants,muggers etc.
Away and fill in an expense form for some Ulay products.

+Quote Post
Alemass
post 18th Dec 2009, 07:11am
Post #8

Unpacking
Member No.: 7,792
And now maybe Ms. Swinson will turn her hand to doing something worthwhile! Do the people who fell for her campaign realize that this do nothing politician conned them. Maybe, just maybe, the member for Bishopbriggs will stand up and expose the real inequities in her constituency, or has she found a way to airbrush away the ugliness and the squalor in our city?

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 18th Dec 2009, 07:16am
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
Twiggy is a mature model and probably had no control over the pics once taken.This MP has shown poor judgement in getting involved as there are more pressing issues in East Dumbarton and the country as a whole on which we dont hear a peep from her.
Annie Lennox,"Theres a lifestyle of painted lips, ...everybody wants it but it dont exist"All very true.Its all an illusion.
Funny enough my wife spends a fortune on Olay.Every night,every morning ,slapped on.Ive told her to stick to carbolic and water for all the difference it makes!

+Quote Post
wombat
post 18th Dec 2009, 07:42am
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,196
alemass wrote:Maybe, just maybe, the member for Bishopbriggs will stand up and expose the real inequities in her constituency, or has she found a way to airbrush away the ugliness and the squalor in our city?

Aye mate she has ,by slaggin off some stoopid ad and pretending she cares aboot the public being CONNED ha! ha!

jupiter wrote:Funny enough my wife spends a fortune on Olay.Every night,every morning ,slapped on.Ive told her to stick to carbolic and water for all the difference it makes!

guess who's got a headache the night?hee!hee!

--------------------
the mighty only appear mighty
because YOU are on your knees.RISE UP.

wombat thit grates oan yie.

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 18th Dec 2009, 08:03am
Post #11

Ms Swinson is a hard working and effective Liberal Democrat Member of the Westminster Parliament. Perhaps contributors may wish to visit the link below before being abusive.

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/jo_swinso..._dunbartonshire

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 18th Dec 2009, 08:09am
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
Wombat,memories.Now THAT is an illusion.
Cheers.

+Quote Post
**greta**
post 18th Dec 2009, 09:52am
Post #13

I think twiggy looks good enough as it is without this futureistic hokus pocus. Too much is given over to, you must look younger these days. People everywhere age, its a part of life, It just brings out the character in your looks.

+Quote Post
*Billy Bunter*
post 18th Dec 2009, 10:36am
Post #14

Why doesn't Jo Swinson get on with the real job of a MP rather than seeking the limelight.

+Quote Post
**bette**
post 18th Dec 2009, 10:59am
Post #15

Hi my fellow folk, let me tell you I have been using this cream for years, and I can asure you at 40 something (young) I do not look that fresh- however I do advocate cream morning and night girls and boys, in this cold weather it does make a diffrence (any cream just cream cream cream).

London today has snow folks so will be sliding to stock up for santas sack. OH THE JOY!!

HO HO HO x

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th Dec 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.