Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

10 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 >  
Closed TopicStart new topic
> What's For Ye, Won 't Go By Ye, Glasgow Family at War and into the 60's
Rating 2 V
dunkey
post 13th May 2007, 09:14am
Post #106

Lord Provost
Member No.: 4,736
QUOTE (Lennox @ 13th May 2007, 03:14 AM) *
So we are on the same page here , not once in my post did I ask you how much your book sells for, I just stated what I know from my friend and her books, yes she has had several published and yes I do have her OK to name her on this thread. IF I was going to buy the book I would except to pay for shipping. My statement was the fact that you seemed to think it absurd that a publishing house would offer free/ cost priced books for you to pass out to your family and friends. I think if you self-published your book you could set the price to sell it at !!

Dunkey, you can correct my spelling all you want I am a big girl and I can take that.. I do thank you for your agreement.

Lennox I was not trying to be insulting and glad you never seen it as such.

As for free copy, Georgia must have it on disk or on the pc, she could send that to friends or family for free. That could also be sent to local media to ask if publicity could be gained by offering a couple of her books as prizes. Good feedback from say a radio station or newspaper could lead to quite a few sales.

As for criticism, it's no good just accepting plaudfits, you must be willing to take the criticisms too or you will never improve.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Lennox
post 13th May 2007, 09:18am
Post #107

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,288
QUOTE (georgia @ 12th May 2007, 10:27 PM) *
....and so would I Lennox...read post 87!!!! Where did all this rubbish come from that I'm worried about giving the plot away or that I don't want feedback, To reiterate read post 87...I am VERY interested and would welcome feedback!!!

I put details of my novel on GG because rightly or maybe wrongly I thought Glaswegians on the site might be interested in the story

This rubbish as you put it comes from seeing certain people bring this up again and again on this thread, You came on this board Georgia with one thing in mind to sell a Book! now that may have changed since you have been here a while but your first post was I Just had a book published.! so thats where some of my "rubbish" came from .
We are all from Galsgow here some of us forget that, I grew up poor and in a Tennement , but I bettered my self, but I don't rub it in every chance I get . As for removing your thread that is up to you I have never asked you to do that nor would I, nor would I ask GG Admin to. But all this stuff about your book and all the private emails should be that Private ,don't ask people to email them to you if you want your reviews to be private then keep the whole thread private....
Untill today I never posted on this topic, now I am getting attacked for it, it comes back to freedom of speach. You are free to do as you please and so I am, tell me something Every one else pays for sponsorship ( to advertise on GG) do you pay to advertise your book on here ?
Maybe I am the "token member" who is asking what others won't.

Sorry if members don't like my posts this is how I feel, people who live in Glass houses should not throw rocks .

--------------------

You don't have to live next door, to be a friend !

+Quote Post
Avril
post 13th May 2007, 09:19am
Post #108

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,509
Java you forgot to mention post 87 where I put the record straight by openly explaining that the mention of elle emailing me was read the wrong way and this was not meant for private feedback. In post 87 I also made it quite clear that I welcomed reviews. I told you this in my reply pm to you too. I have reiterated many times over on this topic that the insinuation I expected private reviews by email just wasn't true and I wanted people who have read my book to review it on the boards. It seems post 87 and others similar have been totally ignored!

This is my very first novel, thank you so much for your honest review, I have taken your comments onboard. I appreciate that it is your perogative not to want to buy books from self-publishers, I am sorry if you weren't aware of this at the time. I will send a refund to you in the post

--------------------
BOOKS..What's For Ye, Won't Go By Ye/Chasin' that Carrot/Mammograms Save Lives/Time Makes Changes/Treachery and Triumph...TV DRAMA..Broken Promises ...website www.avrilsaunders.co.uk

+Quote Post
dunkey
post 13th May 2007, 09:27am
Post #109

Lord Provost
Java if you don't mind can I ask why you do not like to buy from self publishers?

+Quote Post
Avril
post 13th May 2007, 09:43am
Post #110

Mega City Key Holder
[

--------------------
BOOKS..What's For Ye, Won't Go By Ye/Chasin' that Carrot/Mammograms Save Lives/Time Makes Changes/Treachery and Triumph...TV DRAMA..Broken Promises ...website www.avrilsaunders.co.uk

+Quote Post
Avril
post 13th May 2007, 09:49am
Post #111

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Lennox @ 13th May 2007, 10:35 AM) *
This rubbish as you put it comes from seeing certain people bring this up again and again on this thread, You came on this board Georgia with one thing in mind to sell a Book! now that may have changed since you have been here a while but your first post was I Just had a book published.! so thats where some of my "rubbish" came from .
We are all from Galsgow here some of us forget that, I grew up poor and in a Tennement , but I bettered my self, but I don't rub it in every chance I get . As for removing your thread that is up to you I have never asked you to do that nor would I, nor would I ask GG Admin to. But all this stuff about your book and all the private emails should be that Private ,don't ask people to email them to you if you want your reviews to be private then keep the whole thread private....
Untill today I never posted on this topic, now I am getting attacked for it, it comes back to freedom of speach. You are free to do as you please and so I am, tell me something Every one else pays for sponsorship ( to advertise on GG) do you pay to advertise your book on here ?
Maybe I am the "token member" who is asking what others won't.

Sorry if members don't like my posts this is how I feel, people who live in Glass houses should not throw rocks .

Lennox I put my book onto GGBB because I thought fellow Glaswegians would be interested.

To reiterate yet once more...I WELCOME REVIEWS ON THE BOARDS FROM PEOPLE WHO HAVE READ THE BOOK and have set the record straight more than once on this topic about the complete misunderstanding regarding this! (how many times do I have to repeat this!)

I only answered your post Lennox...no-one is attacking you...on the contrary I feel I am the one who is being attacked here!!

I have been warmly welcomed, encouraged and supported on other sites and I (wrongly) assumed that GGBB would be the same.

I can accept criticism from people who have read the book, whether it be good or bad, it all helps! What I didn't expect was to be accused of trying to sell my book on GGBB and not wanting feedback made public! I have open reviews on websites all around the world so why wouldn't I want it on GGBB????

If GG members feel that I was only trying to sell my book rather than the truth which is that I was chuffed with myself for writing a book and wanted to share my joy and accomplishment with fellow Glasgwegians, then I will have this topic removed. Sorry if I offended anyone, it wasn't intentional

--------------------

+Quote Post
Java
post 13th May 2007, 09:52am
Post #112

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,211
Georgia, in post #102 you asked 'where did all this rubbish come from?'. I was simply highlighting which posts had given me that impression.

It goes without saying that I absolutely do not want a refund and if you post a cheque, it will not be cashed.

Dunkey, I already gave my reason for not buying a self published book. I may of course be missing out on a lot of very good writing, but I go with the feeling that if the book is good enough, a publisher will take it on.

--------------------
A friend knows the song in my heart and sings it to me when my memory fails...

+Quote Post
dunkey
post 13th May 2007, 10:01am
Post #113

Lord Provost
Well I disagree with that point Java. Most major publishers and even smaller ones get around three thousand unsolicited manuscripts a year and at most they take on 6 new writers in that year.

The odds of getting it published are extremely rare. It was proven over here when they sent a manuscript to each and every publisher and it was knocked back, they sent it out again with Ben Elton's name on it and bingo, they were falling over themselves to publish it.

Anyway I was just wondering and of course it's your preogative to buy or not to buy what you want.

+Quote Post
Avril
post 13th May 2007, 10:28am
Post #114

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (dunkey @ 13th May 2007, 10:31 AM) *
Lennox I was not trying to be insulting and glad you never seen it as such.

As for free copy, Georgia must have it on disk or on the pc, she could send that to friends or family for free. That could also be sent to local media to ask if publicity could be gained by offering a couple of her books as prizes. Good feedback from say a radio station or newspaper could lead to quite a few sales.

As for criticism, it's no good just accepting plaudfits, you must be willing to take the criticisms too or you will never improve.

Dunkey, I agree with you entirely and this is exactly what I have done! Thanks for your understanding, it is very much appreciated.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lennox
post 13th May 2007, 10:30am
Post #115

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (georgia @ 13th May 2007, 05:06 AM) *
Lennox I put my book onto GGBB because I thought fellow Glaswegians would be interested.

I only answered your post Lennox...no-one is attacking you...on the contrary I feel I am the one who is being attacked here!!

I have been warmly welcomed, encouraged and supported on other sites and I (wrongly) assumed that GGBB would be the same.

If GG members feel that I was only trying to sell my book rather than the truth which is that I was chuffed with myself for writing a book and wanted to share my joy and accomplishment with fellow Glasgwegians, then I will have this topic removed. Sorry if I offended anyone, it wasn't intentional

I do feel as though I was being attacked , I never meant to attack you, I was asking questions, you stated your self that you had a book published, maybe you should have said " You published a book" ...
I love to read and I don't buy a book and then leave it for weeks before reading it, but thats just me . I find that strange, to each his own. Don't have your post removed on my account ! I was just stating my thouhts, that I don't think this is the place to sell things( no matter what it is ) we all have one thing in common here and that is the love of our Dear City....

Dunkey you seem to know a lot about the book world, Who is Ben Elton?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Avril
post 13th May 2007, 10:41am
Post #116

Mega City Key Holder
Lennox to reiterate, I wasn't trying to use GG to sell my book, sorry everyone if this was how it came across, this was not my intention at all. Please believe me that I am not the sort of person who would do this sort of thing. I simply wanted to share my joy and accomplishment with fellow Glasgwegians. I have asked GG to remove the whole topic.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lennox
post 13th May 2007, 10:58am
Post #117

Mega City Key Holder
That is your choice to make Georgia, but to be honest yes that is how I saw your first post as a sales pitch and if I am wrong or the only one I am sorry for that , but thats how it looked .

--------------------

+Quote Post
Java
post 13th May 2007, 11:15am
Post #118

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,211
Don't particulary want to fan the flames, but I agree Lennox...the fact that an ISBN number was given in the first post suggests selling to me...

--------------------
A friend knows the song in my heart and sings it to me when my memory fails...

+Quote Post
Avril
post 13th May 2007, 11:34am
Post #119

Mega City Key Holder
Java & Lennox,

Believe what you like, I'm not really bothered, it's obvious that you're not going to accept the truth.

I am still chuffed about my book, I can take any sort of criticism, good or bad, because I learn from it...infact bad publicity is sometimes a very good thing!

--------------------

+Quote Post
dunkey
post 13th May 2007, 11:57am
Post #120

Lord Provost
For god sake, there's no need to remove the whole subject, some people disagree on the topic and content but surely that's what debating it is all about.

Georgia as the saying goes, there is no such thing as bad publicity. People are entitled to their point of view on the matter and you should be big enough to take it.

It's hard work to put a book the gither and you should be rightly chuffed but if we delete every post where people disagree there wouldn't be much left.

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 >
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Jan 2020

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.