Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

7 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Second Betrayal Of William Wallace, Wallace's Well on brink of destruction
Rabbie
post 5th Jun 2011, 02:38am
Post #46

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,794
QUOTE (RonD @ 3rd Jun 2011, 01:04pm) *
How recent is this photograph?

What a difference!:)

An no a'fore time too. Kudos to whoeffer kicked the lackadaisical swines into action.

Now as a further improvement lets render the encroaching; over priced legoland, yuppie hovelettles back into arable farming land with coo's, sheep grazing those bonnie rolling braes.

How dare these inept Town Hole lackeys allow such desecration to occur in this beautiful area, necessary development my backside.

..M behind it and plenty of greasy buff envelopes passing under the tables in sleazy coffee shops and shin kicking around the council rid circle.

Wullies Well is special, it's in the blood as it were. Ye cannea go there and no feel something, well I cannea, it's ethereal.

Dinnea stand fur it you fowks up there.

Kick erse, use legislation to oppose and slow greedy money grubbing developers down. It works and is most enjoyable sending them smug, weasel tongued suits packing.

Someone else's problem? Not really, send them packing again:)

Most importantly, give the local Council hell fur leather, after all we pay to keep the pen pushing public servants in a job. Remind them of that, they will love you.

Demand service(s) for yer money, it's yer right.

Freedom!

--------------------
Black holes are where God divided by zero.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tamhickey
post 5th Jun 2011, 03:40am
Post #47

City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,833
Much as I don't like the present council administration, it's good to see some action being taken to preserve this historic site. I think much of the previous inaction was very much a political decision, particularly in the run up to the recent elections where the Labour led council may have felt they may stimulate interest amongst the electorate in Independence. They would say that just prior to the elections, that no public bodies should do anything that may be construed as political.
I know about this as my wife was helping to film something for NHS (Scotland) and although the film was completed, it was not allowed to be screened until after the election in case it was seized upon as a political issue by any of the main parties.
The worst part of this decision? It was a film made with the assistance of young people who had had suicidal thoughts, and gave advice about who to turn to in times of crisis.
It made my blood boil that this advice was not able to be put out earlier in case of political posturing.
This was advised by the NHS although who advised them about the decision I don't know.
The film can be viewed on Facebook on the "Nae Drama" page, but to my mind it should have gone beyond politics and should have been screened earlier. You never know who could have been helped.

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 6th Jun 2011, 04:12am
Post #48

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,235
Thanks Duncan for posting that picture of the repairs.

+Quote Post
GG
post 6th Jun 2011, 07:55am
Post #49

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 2nd Jun 2011, 12:31pm) *
I wonder, seriously, what the issue is with the Glasgow councillors. Do they see the whole Wallace thing as a symbol for Scottish independence; better forgotten? ... Wallace dedicated his life to the fight against slavery on political grounds and maybe that is the thorn in the side of the Labour councillors who would rather not see a division with England and therefor not see symbols of Scotland's division given place of prominence.
Of course I could be wrong ... nothin' new there ... but I keep comin' back to Why?
If it's not the cost, then Why?
What's holding them back? Political reasons?

QUOTE (tamhickey @ 5th Jun 2011, 03:48am) *
Much as I don't like the present council administration, it's good to see some action being taken to preserve this historic site. I think much of the previous inaction was very much a political decision, particularly in the run up to the recent elections where the Labour led council may have felt they may stimulate interest amongst the electorate in Independence. They would say that just prior to the elections, that no public bodies should do anything that may be construed as political. ...

Thanks THH & Tam. Quite a few people have postulated that the wanton municipal neglect of the site of Wallace's Well and Monument at Robroyston has been motivated by political 'sensitivites' on the part of the Labour-controlled council, i.e. that any promotion of the sites might ferment a sense of Scottish nationalism in Glasgow. If this was the case, then the comments of the former Labour First Minister Henry McLeish following his party's capitulation in the recent Scottish elections might make interesting reading. McLeish said that the Labour party could counter the SNP's popularity by developing an identity and outlook "embracing pride and patriotism and wrapping them in the Saltire". Could we see this beginning at Robroyston? Personally, I hae ma doots!

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
GG
post 6th Jun 2011, 08:14am
Post #50

Administrator
Group Icon
QUOTE (RonD @ 3rd Jun 2011, 01:04pm) *
How recent is this photograph?

QUOTE (Rabbie @ 5th Jun 2011, 02:46am) *
What a difference!:) ...

I'll check the progress of repairs later this week, if I get the chance, and also maybe take more photographs (the original photos in this topic were taken in May 2011). The main issue is, of course (according to the poll), whether the council is going to take steps to protect the site of Wallace's Well – physically and legislatively. There's no point constantly spending money repairing the wall, as, eventually, it's going to get to the stage where it is unrepairable. Let's hope there's significant and effective road signage and traffic management solutions on the agenda also.

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
RonD
post 6th Jun 2011, 12:16pm
Post #51

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,783
Thanks Duncan both for the photo and the response as to its date. It is a breath of fresh air. With the encroachment of development in the area. I have to wonder why people living in the area wouldn't form an association that can act as a watch dog for future abuses to the sites. Not all residents would care but I'm sure there are enough with some sort of historical respect that could be catalysts for remedy of any future deteriation of the sites.

--------------------
Bad luck, emotional blackmail, soppy sentiments, no matter what ! The chain letter stops here!

+Quote Post
**Charlie**
post 6th Jun 2011, 03:15pm
Post #52

The council's have no cash to spare, its the same hear in falkirk, what to do is aproach the council and ask if you get help to restore the wall if yes, what to do is put an advert in the Evening Times asking there is any brickies retired or working willing to give a couple off hours a week and volunteers to assist the bricklayers fetching the stones. I know it should be drystone dykers but they are in such demand it would pointless to even try. I presume it is stone and not brick I had a go at my friends wall certainly it was only 2 mtrs high but I managed to make it look like like a dry stone by hiding the cement (quick drying. This was about 7 year ago and its still good despite his grandchildren giving it a rough time. Its food for thought.

Thanks Charlie.

+Quote Post
GG
post 8th Jun 2011, 12:26am
Post #53

Administrator
Group Icon
Thanks, Charlie, good advice!

The following three photos were taken over the course of the last year at Wallace's Well: June 2010, December 2010 and May 2011. Combined, they show the sustained, long-term level of wanton neglect of this site of national historical importance.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Much more worring, for anyone interested in preserving the well, is the plan for a massive new housing development at Robroyston, bringing levels of traffic around Wallace's Well (gold dot) and the Wallace Monument to truly frightening levels. The new development will dwarf the existing developments by a factor of at least five times.

Attached Image

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 8th Jun 2011, 02:14pm
Post #54

Mega City Key Holder
Jings!

How can developments of that scale be justified, is there a "real need" for these massive private developments, other than developers and corporate greed. More than likely an exchange of a few bulging buff envelopes between greasy palms in Ye Auld Town Hole behind this too.

Is Glasgow undergoing a massive population explosion or suffering from a mass yuppie influx or an infestation of a shower o' gormless numpties in the misplanning depot?

Them cookie cutter, legoland breeze block piles are totally unsympathetic to the local environment It's such a bonny area up there with historic connections and ah have many fond memories of Sunday walks over the 1/4 mile bridge watching the puffer trains going under it and getting covered in soot! The Saughs, Lumloch Pit used to be a lovely walk and you wid be unlucky if you ever encountered a car. as fur the smell at the farm, bracing stuff!

Seems like the roads aroond there are rat runs fur posing yuppies to cruise around in their 4 wheel drive camel killers, knocking down walls and walkers.

Take yer posh hooses, yuppies and stick em somewhere else, like umm, London! Aye, I did think aboot the obvious but London is a bigger keechhole than that.

There are plenty of derelict sites in the City instead of sticking Tesco aircraft hangers, DIY and Sofa Shops an then like on them, maybe social and affordable house could be built. Thereby obviating the need to pollute green sites with overpriced yuppy hoosing.

Those houses up Robroyston at the monument are not what I would call "affordable", where the in the name of the wee man does that kind of money come from, I would love to know. I would wager that is is not likely to be gained from a decent living. tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
**Arlene**
post 8th Jun 2011, 04:20pm
Post #55

I don't get this all......... surely, if there is loads of developments then there is loads of cash coming into the koffers of the cooncil? So why not spend a couple of bob on a few signs and speedy bumps? The added bonus would be that they wouldnae have to keep employing the time of - as Charlie said - busy drystone dykers. And not to mention the fact that surely also the good citizens traveling to their plush new homes don't want to navigate piles of boulders from drystone walls lying about the road???

Simples!

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 8th Jun 2011, 08:37pm
Post #56

Couldn't have said it better maself Rabbie!

I'm fed up with these yuppies thinking its ok to take every bit of green space in the city just because they have a bit of financial reserves.

Let's get back to old fashioned community values, that's what I say.

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 9th Jun 2011, 12:41am
Post #57

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (*Arlene* @ 8th Jun 2011, 05:28pm) *
I don't get this all......... surely, if there is loads of developments then there is loads of cash coming into the koffers of the cooncil? So why not spend a couple of bob on a few signs and speedy bumps? The added bonus would be that they wouldnae have to keep employing the time of - as Charlie said - busy drystone dykers. And not to mention the fact that surely also the good citizens traveling to their plush new homes don't want to navigate piles of boulders from drystone walls lying about the road???

Simples!

Simple is too complex for Town Hole flunkies and shiny ersed pen pushing flaff to understand. Yet, may I commend your motion to the hoose, Arlene.

Signage would be a good start. As fur dry stain dykes, my lips are sealed.

Anywan aroond here with artistic tendencies?

--------------------

+Quote Post
*Sidney*
post 9th Jun 2011, 12:54am
Post #58

Those houses up Robroyston at the monument are not what I would call "affordable", where the in the name of the wee man does that kind of money come from, I would love to know. I would wager that is is not likely to be gained from a decent living. tongue.gif

This is a slur on the hardworking people of Robroyston who dare to aspire to owning a decent home in a decent area. These homes are owned by professional people, such as lawyers, teachers or medical professionals.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 9th Jun 2011, 01:10am
Post #59

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
I would wager that is is not likely to be gained from a decent living. tongue.gif

Well, Rabbie ...

These homes are owned by professional people, such as lawyers ...

... you've won your bet. tongue.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 9th Jun 2011, 02:55am
Post #60

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Sidney @ 9th Jun 2011, 02:02am) *
This is a slur on the hardworking people of Robroyston who dare to aspire to owning a decent home in a decent area. These homes are owned by professional people, such as lawyers, teachers or medical professionals.

No too bad Sid, it is not a slur, it is a fact and I mean it. Owned I doubt, as the state owns us awe, absolutely.

Since when did a teacher or nurse command a salary that could mortgage a 0.5M yuppie hovel? I have many relations in two decent professions up there!

Lawyers... pftt.

Are you deriving that other professions are not deserving of such plush accommodations?

Bridge to Engine Room... Warp Factor 9!

--------------------

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.