Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

207 Pages V  « < 205 206 207  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Uk Independence Referendum - Brexit, Yes or No on EU membership
Rating 1 V
bilbo.s
post Y'day, 04:22pm
Post #3091

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
To those yearning and hoping for a return to halcyon days gone-by.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/commerzbanks...r-brexit-2017-8

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DannyH
post Y'day, 04:57pm
Post #3092

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,412
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 20th Aug 2017, 05:22pm) *
To those yearning and hoping for a return to halcyon days gone-by.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/commerzbanks...r-brexit-2017-8

Bilbo,

This is exactly why some of us who live in this country are aware that we have no one to vote for.
You are not telling us anything we don't know already.

We didn't become a Service country by chance. While you were sitting in your office, all around you manufacturing was being taken out of this country. Politicians allowed it to happen, one reason being that they are funded by capitalists who believe in Globalisation. In other words, take the production to the country with the lowest labour costs.

Look at the history of the American, Singer sewing machine company, as example. We all should know that they had a large manufacturing company in Clyebank. During the late 1970's the production was moved to Brazil. At that time, Brazil was supposed to be one of the up and coming industrial countries
of the world.

Some of the Scottish production engineers, were sent over to Brazil to help set up the production lines.

The other day, I was in our local Lidl's. It was selling Singer sewing machines. They were manufactured in Vietnam! The country where thousands of young American servicemen were sent to put an end to Communism in that area.

Today, the Singer company exists in name only. Its brand was bought over relatively recently.

So the point I am making is, Brexit or no Brexit, it is not the politicians that decide our fate when it comes to manufacturing. It is people who are in control of companies like 'Singers' who have the ball at their feet.

One of the things that saddens me is that your opening statement above, is cynical. It comes over that you are really enjoying the fact that skilled jobs have been lost from this country forever. What you forget it was the halcyon days that gave you the opportunity to have a good quality of life. If we all had worked in the service industry like you had, we would have had food banks then, like we have today. Like you, the author of this link is saying, "Stuff the manual workers of the UK"

Sad people.

Danny Harris

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post Y'day, 05:08pm
Post #3093

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
QUOTE (DannyH @ 20th Aug 2017, 06:57pm) *
Bilbo,

This is exactly why some of us who live in this country are aware that we have no one to vote for.
Yu are not telling us anything we don't know already.

We didn't become a Service country by chance. While you were sitting in your office, all around you manufacturing was being taken out of this country. Politicians allowed it to happen, one reason being that they are funded by capitalists who believe in Globalisation. In other words, take the production to the country with the lowest labour costs.

Look at the history of the American, Singer sewing machine company, as example. We all should know that they had a large manufacturing company in Clyebank. During the late 1970's the production was moved to Brazil. At that time, Brazil was supposed to be one of the up and coming industrial countries
of the world.

Some of the Scottish production engineers, were sent over to Brazil to help set up the production lines.

The other day, I was in our local Lidl's. It was selling Singer sewing machines. They were manufactured in Vietnam! The country where thousands of young American servicemen were sent to put an end to Communism in that area.

Today, the Singer company exists in name only. Its brand was bought over relatively recently.

So the point I am making is, Brexit or no Brexit, it is not the politicians that decide our fate when it comes to manufacturing. It is people who are in control of companies like 'Singers' who have the ball at their feet.

One of the things that saddens me is that your opening statement above, is cynical. It comes over that you are really enjoying the fact that skilled jobs have been lost from this country forever. What you forget it was the halcyon days that gave you the opportunity to have a good quality of life. If we all had worked in the service industry like you had, we would have had food banks then, like we have today. Like you, the author of this link is saying, "Stuff the manual workers of the UK"

Sad people.

Dannny Harris

As usual, you take your own twist on things. The author of the piece and I both deplore the situation. If you think I enjoy the facts, then you are more of a fool than I thought. He and I are being realistic in thinking that those days are regretfully over and we must look to the future in a different direction, wherever that may be.

BTW, to return the compliment, you have taught me nothing new. Once more you make the assumption that I always worked in the service industries. Wrong! I will enlighten you no further, however, as you take such perverse pleasure in using such information to your own ends.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
DannyH
post Y'day, 05:26pm
Post #3094

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Guest @ 19th Aug 2017, 09:22pm) *
Is this thread really about Brexit?

If so, may I be permitted to make a comment. Brexit is already a disaster for low income families. Since the vote to leave, outgoings on supermarket shopping, clothing, utility bills, public transport, etc have risen way faster than inflation (food by around 10 to 50%) whilst income has remained stagnant. The low value of the pound may be great news for exporters but that is of little comfort to those having to juggle with a restricted household budget. My prediction is that this winter will bring it all into sharp focus, when the full impact of the rise in utility bills hit home.

If things are to get better, it will take at least a generation to achieve.

HelloGuest

I will start by saying that you have the advantage over me. I don't know if you live in the UK.

That aside, my response to you is that if you live in Glasgow or its surrounding area, and if you travel by car to work on a daily basis, you must be fed up experiencing grid-lock every day.

If you go to the outlying Retail Parks at the weekend, you must have experienced the frusration of not being able to find a parking space without having to drive around in circles for what seems like an eternity. It also can't have missed your notice that Coffee shops like Costa are well patronised.
A coffee and a muffin will set you back about £5.

I have also noticed that it is now common practice to walk with a digital mobile device in your hand. All of these technology gadget owners can't just be from people who are earning high salaries. Every school child in sight seems to be carrying one. Every mother pushing a pram seems to be using one. From my perspective, having been a child during the 1930's, poverty is relative. When I was eating an apple, some of my pals were waiting for me to give them the apple stump. They considered me to be well off!

In your statement above you state that some food has gone up by as much as 50%. I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but I am respectfully asking you to give an example of food that has risen to this degree

I hope you will take this response in the manner it was intended. It is just my opinion. I see things differently from you, no need for us to fall out with each other.

Danny Harris

+Quote Post
taurus
post Today, 02:13am
Post #3095

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 12,391
I am not posting re Brexit for I don`t understand a lot of it,but in regards to Danny H`s post 3092. Very true words about the work all disappearing to 3rd world countries.leaving generations of folk wandering aimlessly through life.and the governments endorse all this. a case this week makes my blood boil,a young cashed up Chinese guy wants to buy (or has already bought) a mansion on Sydney Harbour for 24 million,has applied to the council to KNOCK IT DOWN!! and build something more lavish. how did he get so rich ?? we all know how,drug money aside,it`s more like the instant billionaires the world has allowed China to create.
back in 1982 I worked with a blowhard of a woman .always bumming about her family,her son was so IN LOVE with Australia he even had a toilet seat cover of the Australian flag,whoopdy doo ,what a bore she was,then in the next breath,Terry has just transferred his factory to Singapore,celebrations all round for them,stunned disbelief for us listening to this tripe.

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post Today, 11:32am
Post #3096

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (DannyH @ 20th Aug 2017, 06:26pm) *
HelloGuest

I will start by saying that you have the advantage over me. I don't know if you live in the UK.

That aside, my response to you is that if you live in Glasgow or its surrounding area, and if you travel by car to work on a daily basis, you must be fed up experiencing grid-lock every day.

If you go to the outlying Retail Parks at the weekend, you must have experienced the frusration of not being able to find a parking space without having to drive around in circles for what seems like an eternity. It also can't have missed your notice that Coffee shops like Costa are well patronised.
A coffee and a muffin will set you back about £5.

I have also noticed that it is now common practice to walk with a digital mobile device in your hand. All of these technology gadget owners can't just be from people who are earning high salaries. Every school child in sight seems to be carrying one. Every mother pushing a pram seems to be using one. From my perspective, having been a child during the 1930's, poverty is relative. When I was eating an apple, some of my pals were waiting for me to give them the apple stump. They considered me to be well off!

Danny Harris

What has this got to do with Brexit Danny? unsure.gif

+Quote Post
DannyH
post Today, 12:47pm
Post #3097

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 21st Aug 2017, 12:32pm) *
What has this got to do with Brexit Danny? :unsure:

Hi Jagz

You are asking the wrong person Jagz.

I was responding to Guest who stated that Brexit is already a disaster for low income families.
He then gave his reasons. He is entitled to his opinions. I just responded to them. I suggest you go back and read his post.

Danny

+Quote Post
DannyH
post Today, 01:50pm
Post #3098

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 20th Aug 2017, 06:08pm) *
As usual, you take your own twist on things. The author of the piece and I both deplore the situation. If you think I enjoy the facts, then you are more of a fool than I thought. He and I are being realistic in thinking that those days are regretfully over and we must look to the future in a different direction, wherever that may be.

BTW, to return the compliment, you have taught me nothing new. Once more you make the assumption that I always worked in the service industries. Wrong! I will enlighten you no further, however, as you take such perverse pleasure in using such information to your own ends.

Bilbo

You state the author and you both deplore the situation. Unfortunately for you, I can read.
I will quote the only contribution you made in that post.

"To those yearning for a return to the halcyon days gone-by".

And that was it. Bibo, you just can't accept that people on this web-site who hold different opinions just will not lie down and let you walk over them.

You go on to say that if I think you enjoy the facts, then I am more of a fool than you thought.
Bilbo the whole point of me responding to your posts is to try and get YOU to give us some facts. By your own admission you rely on other people who are more eloquent than you, to present the facts. So what is foolish about me is that I realise you will never give us any facts, just links to other people.

The problem is they never present any facts. It is all one sided that Brexit is a disaster

Regarding your latest post and the halcyon days, this guy is not telling us anything we didn't know.
Do you think all the thousands of skilled men and women in this country, who lost their skilled jobs years ago, need to be told by you or anybody else that the halcyon days are gone????

So lets get some real facts. I have given much thought as to why other EU countries are jumping up and down about the UK leaving the EU.

So lates start with trade deficits.
I Googled, and came up with this website, www.worldstopexports.com

I found some facts contributed by a Daniel Workmann, dated 7 Auguat 2017, and here is some of the information I obtained:

The Uk incurred the highest trade deficits with the following countries, in terms of BILLIONS of U.S dollars.

1 - Germany 42.7
2- China 40.9
3 - Netherlands 20.8
4 - Belgium 15.8
5 - Norway 13.2
6 - Italy 10.2
7 - Switzerland 9.7
8 - Spain 9
9 - Canada 7.4
10- France 7.3

So we are in debt to a significant number of EU members, who are in the list above. No wonder they don't want us to leave the EU. Leaving the EU won't decrease the deficit with China, but it sure will affect some EU member countries.

As far as the 'ordinary' consumer in the UK is concerned, the majority of non-food products we import, come from China. Leaving the EU won't change that.

So, if we leave the EU and do trade deals with countries outside the EU, it will affect the EU more than it does us. It just means we have taken our business elsewhere.

By the way I also came across a term, used in evaluating trade between EU countries. Apparently what happens is that, say, China imports goods to some European country. That country then re-exports it to another European country and counts it as an export from themselves, not China. Confusing isn't it.

You will also note there are no Eastern EU member states listed above. We have a deficit with them. They are called people. We import more of their people, than we export to their countries.

Danny Harris

+Quote Post
DannyH
post Today, 02:07pm
Post #3099

Mega City Key Holder
In my post above, I forgot to include, the term used for importing from say China, then re-exporting and claiming the exports are from your country is, known as the Rotterdam Effect.

Danny Harris

+Quote Post

207 Pages V  « < 205 206 207
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st Aug 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.