Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

23 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Independence Day?, How will (or would) you vote?
GG
post 13th Sep 2014, 10:29am
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
It's now only a few days until we go to the polls to vote for or against independence for Scotland. The electioneering activities of both Yes Scotland and Better Together reach a climax this weekend, with Deputy First Minister Nicola Sturgeon calling today the "biggest campaign day in Scottish political history". As we head towards what will be a momentous day for the country, I thought we might take another poll of voting intentions*, asking the same question which will be put to the people of Scotland on 18 September 2014.

Also, please share your thoughts on why you will (or would) vote Yes or No. In posting a reply please consider your thoughts on some of the following points:
  1. What is the single most important issue?
  2. Have you been swayed by one side?
  3. Have you been impressed by any politicians?
  4. Has the media reporting of the referendum been fair?
  5. Will the result have a long term effect on how we live?
  6. Do you just want it all to be over?
I've produced a short video just to remind us all that we have a beautiful country, and that we should not let fear get in the way of what we think is best for Scotland.

This topic is not meant to replace the extensive Scottish Independence discussion topic, but is, rather, intended to capture in a non-judgemental and non-argumentative way a snapshot of members' observations, reflections and thoughts as we approach the referendum.

* Our poll is for everyone, so you can vote in the poll even though you are a Glaswegian who is currently living overseas. (The poll can't be accessed on iPads, sorry.)

Update: embedded poll stopped working on Monday! Stats then were:

Yes: 259 Votes (55%) // No: 215 Votes (45%)

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 13th Sep 2014, 10:39am
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
Just to say that if I lived in Scotland I would vote YES, but as I don't I dont think its fair that I take part in this poll.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 13th Sep 2014, 11:24am
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
I too am an ex-pat but I was also an ex-pat while serving overseas in the RAF so the term is a relative mute point for me: I can only ever be a Scotsman away from home who's nationalty has never changed.
I would love to see Scotland take the stage as a Nation on her own feet once again and have voted to that effect.
For me the single most important issue has nothing to do with politics or even England; all of my 15 decendents were born in England and likely consider themselves English born and bred more than British, but rather that we, Scotland, were always a separate nation with our own culture, ideas, and outlook. Our beautiful land is unique: it's history and geography impregnated in our hearts. We may share it with all but we cannot give it away because that would be a betrayal.
It was once handed over; lock, stock, barrel and croft to a more powerful nation than we but now with a simple "tick" in the right box our dear land can be returned to us ... even those of us who for whatever reason are not home at this great historical moment.
For me, at least, the other five questions are merely superficial.
I never left Scotland, I just wandered doon the road. Should I come back up the road I hope to come back to a Scotland which the Roman's decided to leave well enough alone. tongue.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
Heather
post 13th Sep 2014, 11:32am
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
I ignore all the people that have been brought up to Scotland to tell us how to vote. tongue.gif
Not only do they not live in Scotland, very few of them are Scottish. angry.gif

The NO camp are in a right panic.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
carmella
post 13th Sep 2014, 11:38am
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
I ignore politicians, actors and actresses. I particularly ignore the ones who have decided not to live in Scotland, even though I realize a lot of Scottish actors live elsewhere because they have families and have to be near the action for the careers they have, but feel they are well enough paid to make Scotland their domicile and travel to their shoots etc., or live there for a few months.

Oddly enough I include one of my favourite actors in this, he is terrific and can play almost any part, he is such a brilliant actor. I refer to Brian Cox.

Oh on the subject, has anyone noticed we have heard nothing, zilch from that famed Scottish Actor (I don't like) Sean Connery who over the years was highly vocal.

--------------------
Silence is a true friend who never betrays.

Confucius - Chinese Philosopher - [551bc-479bc]

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 13th Sep 2014, 11:57am
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,545
QUOTE (carmella @ 13th Sep 2014, 11:55am) *
Oh on the subject, has anyone noticed we have heard nothing, zilch from that famed Scottish Actor (I don't like) Sean Connery who over the years was highly vocal.

Connery became a hate figure and was often ridiculed by some of his fellow Scots because he did not stay here, those same scots are quite willing to jump on any NO requests from other famous expats and dare i say it, but others who have no link to Scotland at all. Funny that aint it.

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
RedSkywalker
post 13th Sep 2014, 12:15pm
Post #7

Unpacking
Member No.: 3,913
The problem I have with the whole thing is that the question being asked "should Scotland be an independent country" is irrelevant to reality.

Is the UK an independent country? NO it's not because an independent country controls its own borders which the UK is not allowed to by the EU. Does the UK control its own currency? NO because its tied to the EU and has to comply with EU budgetary requirements. Does it control the fishing rights within its waters - NO; the EU does! Does it have free access to world trade - NO it has to comply with EU tariff arrangements - the UK is deep in thrall to the EU and does not meet any definition of "independent" you want to apply.

If there is a YES vote all that will happen is we will continue to be governed by the EU as now!

Had big Eck offered us the choice of an in\out EU vote if we voted YES I'd be all for true independence but he has his eyes firmly on the EU trough and is determined to get his snout in there. So you lot vote however you want - in the end it makes no difference at all!

+Quote Post
Dominic271
post 13th Sep 2014, 12:18pm
Post #8

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,079
As a London-born Glasgow resident of 30 years plus (working in Kabul but heading back in time to vote), whether Scotland can earn enough to pay its way, including for the health service, schools, pensions, etc., has been for me of prime importance. On balance, the answer appears to be pretty even whether it's Yes or No, and I'm not so wedded to Sterling as to worry whether I end up paying bills in Euro, Merks or whatever (though I recognise the challenge for cross-border trade). And the EU, NATO, and Olympics stuff will sort itself out (as it will have to) if there's a Yes decision.

That said, the recent spate of negative statements from business leaders (pretty obviously co-ordinated by the No campaign) hasn't affected me: do I particularly care if a few corrupt bankers up sticks and head south? Neither the celebrity endorsements on either side nor the political messaging has thrilled me (at least, from what I have been able to read from news and other websites). On the whole, I think the BBC's analysis of the economic, social and political issues has been pretty balanced (although over-concerned with the design of a post-Yes vote flag for what's left of the UK).

Overall, the biggest thing that has concerned me has not been the economic or political effect on Scotland, but the effect on the rest of the UK, and particularly whether a Yes vote for Scotland condemns England and Wales to a generation of Cameronian (or Johnsonian) Toryism increasingly affected by UKIP's pub politics (or rather, staggering out of the pub and into the gutter). Or will a Yes vote force the non-Tory rest of the UK to establish a viable political alternative?

The more people tell me how bad everything will be if I vote Yes, the more I am persuaded to do precisely that. Braveheart or Feartie? I think I know where my vote is going on Thursday (and it will be a vote - not an avoidance of the issue by binning the ballot paper).

By the way, not enough rain in the video, and far too many blue skies!

+Quote Post
gardenqueen
post 13th Sep 2014, 12:19pm
Post #9

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,280
I don't live in Scotland because, at the time, there was very little work around and plenty in London. I didn't intend to stay in England but, as so often happens, I married here and had my family so ended up living here ever since. I have a lot to thank England for, to be honest, it gave me a good living and my children are, after all, English albeit with Scottish/Irish/Swiss/English heritage. My grandchidren are even more mixed by adding Welsh and Hungarian to their genes. They are proud of all of these links and probably take the best from all. How many of us are ever truly from one heritage?

That doesn't make me any less Scottish in my opinion. I still love going back to Glasgow and always will (if they'll have me, lol) but I don't feel the need to live there to have those experiences.

My father was Irish and was Irish to the end even though he had been living in Glasgow since he was a young man. I think it is the same with anyone who leaves their home country for, e.g. work.

I am not suggesting that people who no longer live in Scotland should have the vote there but I am entitled to my opinions and although these may largely be based on emotional ties, I would be voting "No" if I could. Interestingly, whenever I have spoken to family and friends still living in Glasgow, there is only one person who is voting "Yes".

My life won't change whatever the result but I can see a lot of unrest and turmoil whatever the result.

+Quote Post
Miggymag
post 13th Sep 2014, 12:21pm
Post #10

Settling In
Member No.: 6,531
I am separating after 37 years, and next year relocating back home to Glasgow. Unfortunately I dont have the vote, but it would be a definite YES. For a long time I was NO/Better Together, until I listened to what the Scots had to say about independence, via social media etc. As my fellow Scots draw closer to the polling stations, the campaign may be more about emotion and passion, rather than facts and figures. Whichever way it goes, I’m looking forward to coming home.

1. What is the single most important issue?
::: The opportunity for Scotland to govern her own land.

2. Have you been swayed by one side?
::: The No/Better Together swayed me towards Yes.

3. Have you been impressed by any politicians?
::: Impressed by Sturgeon and Salmond.

4. Has the media reporting of the referendum been fair?
::: With the exception of the BBC, yes.

5. Will the result have a long term effect on how we live?
::: I don’t know.

6. Do you just want it all to be over?
::: Yes. Yes. Yes.

+Quote Post
**greta**
post 13th Sep 2014, 12:21pm
Post #11

Of course I am going to vote yes for the country I love,was born in and have always lived in. No more chattels from London dictating to us, our votes will count in the future, wonder what Bruce and Wallace would think about us even considering anything else.

As for the no campaign ,they should be ashamed of theirselves. They have brought in every kind of threat possible from calling in debts from banks to having threatened us with supermarket chains,all of which is just bloating and badgering. As the large economists agree it will never happen,they could not afford to put prices up, Tesco are already in trouble and Asda have backed down. As for the BBC they are a joke, any institution that threatens in the run up to an independent referendum should be ashamed, looked into and boycotted. We will never have another opportunity to put our families future securely in their hands.

Come on Scotland the Brave.

+Quote Post
*lawrence duff*
post 13th Sep 2014, 12:36pm
Post #12

I vote yes!

+Quote Post
carmella
post 13th Sep 2014, 12:54pm
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
QUOTE (john.mcn @ 13th Sep 2014, 01:14pm) *
Connery became a hate figure and was often ridiculed by some of his fellow Scots because he did not stay here, those same scots are quite willing to jump on any NO requests from other famous expats and dare i say it, but others who have no link to Scotland at all. Funny that aint it.

Oh it truly is John. I know he became a hate figure. Don't know currently where he lives, but I know he did not get on with his neighbours in his New York apartment building.

I don't mind anyone having an opinion on this subject, what I do object to is that they and others, think their opinions will sway the Scottish vote. I am my own master (mistress) I decide on my own with no-one's help.

I've enjoyed both the yes and no sides of the arguments on here, and the characters - because the GG certainly has a few of them.

--------------------
Silence is a true friend who never betrays.

Confucius - Chinese Philosopher - [551bc-479bc]

+Quote Post
Heather
post 13th Sep 2014, 01:08pm
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
I have been waiting half my lifetime to vote YES.

I did Scottish History at School, and we were quite literally bought and sold for English gold.

I was speaking to a young woman a few days ago and she did not know that the Scottish people had no say in the Union with England, she thought our ancestors voted for it.
I told her to find a Scottish History book and she will find out that when we the common people found out how we had been sold out, there were riots all over Scotland.

She was un-decided which way to vote, but I think she will now be voting YES.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
**Sumac**
post 13th Sep 2014, 01:12pm
Post #15

Long time no speak! Sorry!

I have, for many years, been pro-Independence. However, when the Referendum Debate gained momentum, I became really uncertain about which way to vote. The main contributor to my uncertainty was the first live TV debate between Alex and Alistair. It was so bad that I watched for only 15 minutes and changed channels. I couldn't believe how unprepared and lacklustre Alex Salmond was. I have never seen Alex so badly prepared. It was awful. However, he has redeemed himself in my view, with the help of wee Nicola. The one thing I keep telling people is that we are not voting for a party or politician, we are voting for Independence, and will be able to vote in to power our own party choice if we gain it, not the choice of England.

Next week I have to vote YES. Scotland is my much-loved home and we CAN make it.

+Quote Post

23 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.