Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

10 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Time To Restore Dignity To George Square?, A decision for the people of Glasgow
GG
post 31st Jan 2013, 09:06pm
Post #31

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
With reference to the rushed (and unannounced) removal of the flower beds, grass and trees in 1998, it's informative to see the then council leader's reaction to the public disgust at the process.

So Sorry as George Square is Ripped Up
Date: 8th September 1998 / Source: Daily Record

Council chiefs last night apologised to the people of Glasgow after bulldozers ripped the heart out of George Square. City council leader Frank McAveety admitted the Policy and Resources Committee had decided on the pounds 200,000 facelift without the public being told.

Work started last Thursday when the square's famous Swedish white beam trees where chopped down by workmen with chainsaws. Council bosses said the 75-year-old trees were felled because they had Dutch elm disease.

And yesterday, bulldozers moved into the square to tear up the colourful flower beds and the grass.

The move sparked angry protests from green pressure groups Friends of the Earth and the Scottish Tree Trust.

But Mr McAveety said: "The work will leave the square as green as ever. The work can only enhance what is a most important public space. We have apologised. We can't deny that the public were not told about the work. We regret the inconvenience the work has caused but the surface of the square needed upgrading."

Eight 15ft trees will replace the ones which were cut down, and the grass will remain around the war memorial.

But the flower beds have been taken away to make more space for bigger entertainment events.

The work is due to finish in time for Armistice Sunday on November 8.

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Heather
post 31st Jan 2013, 09:25pm
Post #32

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
The tree's were in tubs around the Square for a short time, then they vanished.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
johnt0215
post 31st Jan 2013, 10:52pm
Post #33

Unpacking
Member No.: 1,895
Before bestowing any more hair brained ego trips on us wee Mr Matheson wants to take a good look in the mirror and have a good attempt at restoring his own dignity!
Resigning would be a start!
We've already had the coke up the nose Purcell years, the man that sat in office making decisions whilst snorting coke during the Nursery Nurses strike the man who shafted everybody with his cronyism.
Just another wee sad numpty and now his alter ego's taken over, what is it with Glasgow City Council and poor choices of leadership?
This needs to be addressed who runs Glasgow City Council???????????????

+Quote Post
denis
post 31st Jan 2013, 11:32pm
Post #34

Unpacking
Member No.: 16,938
I was a telegram boy operating from around the back of a building that was opposite George Square. My recollections are not good, it was 60 years ago. I delivered telegrams et al to businesses around George Square and beyond. (A good job, I think it was, meant going just as far as the Square, as short a distance as possible. You could doddle a bit.) Innocently I almost missed the point. Of course George Square was magnificent. I just didn't quite take it in. Now to 2006 or so when I returned there last time. We were on a bus trip around the UK and we were a bit rushed into a restaurant, having crossed the Square (no pun intended). There was some form of Protest, with many people and police present. Unfortunate but I guess that sort of thing went on in my time as a resident of Glasgow (Possilpark), did it?

It is clear from your poll results that Glasgow people want to have the Square with its lawns and gardens in place, and as it was some years ago. Maybe there needs to be a special voting slip at the next election. Those who would change things may then require to wait to see what the majority wants. Based on the short poll done so far, we know that the times I knew, would be the future for George Square.

A mention was made above, about the peace that the religious flavour gave to the area at Christmas. I remember it too.

Thanks for the opportunity to say something about George Square.

Denis Hawthorne
Mt Martha,
Victoria
Australia

+Quote Post
Scotsman
post 1st Feb 2013, 07:56am
Post #35

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,353
Theres another side to this that we read about last week but has not been mentioned here and that is how it was in the news that Matheson went in a huff and threw the toys oot the pram because he couldnae get his way on the panel that chose the winner. The story said that he only kidded on that he was listening to the public so that he could use it as an excuse to dump the whole competition because the judges went against his wishes.

+Quote Post
**jean**
post 1st Feb 2013, 10:38am
Post #36

Why don't the who ever gets the contract for George square relocate Glasgow council offices to under it & let the public walk over them, the same way the council has been walking over the people of Glasgow.

+Quote Post
Rab
post 1st Feb 2013, 12:21pm
Post #37

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 13,266
QUOTE (Scotsman @ 1st Feb 2013, 08:13am) *
Theres another side to this that we read about last week but has not been mentioned here and that is how it was in the news that Matheson went in a huff and threw the toys oot the pram because he couldnae get his way on the panel that chose the winner. The story said that he only kidded on that he was listening to the public so that he could use it as an excuse to dump the whole competition because the judges went against his wishes.

Scotsman: As I stated in an earlier post - how do we know what the real truth of this matter is? We must beware of falling into the trap of believing everything we read in the press. I have assumed from Mathesons own public confessions that he has much to answer for, in fact, enough to resign, but that does not mean that he has acted as described, lets be fair to him here; if the truth outs and this was the case, then he has only 'convicted' himself further! Is there not some case here for some form of Public Inquiry into this whole affair, with the culprits being shown the door of City Chambers?

--------------------
Back to using my original name... Rab

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 1st Feb 2013, 12:30pm
Post #38

Yes Public Inquiry is need to sort this out and find out what happened.

What about Audit Scotland?

+Quote Post
Scotsman
post 1st Feb 2013, 07:03pm
Post #39

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,353
I agree with you Rab that what we need is a major enquiry of some kind into this but we have seen these people ride out this kind of thing so many times in the past and eventually nothing comes to it.

I have no faith in the system. What I find weird is that nobody on the judging panel came out to support Matheson and say the George Square selection huff story is mince. Even though they were hand picked by Matheson and surely they must look on him as a meal ticket.

+Quote Post
tamhickey
post 2nd Feb 2013, 11:57am
Post #40

City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,833
The sooner this cabal of incompetents leave or more likely are forced from office the better. Hard earned cash is squandered on these "tribunes of the people" who seem merely to exist for the betterment of their own personal enrichment rather than the good governance of the City of Glasgow. Purcell and now Mathison have been embroiled in lurid stories which have not shown the city in a good light. The rest of the world must think we have an army of gay Berlusconi's when it comes to appointing leaders.
They say power corrupts, and the Labour Party has rotted to the bone in Glasgow, becoming an equal opportunity leader for chancers and liars.
The disgraceful £100,00 of your money wasted on the George Square upgrade possibilities, only to then be rubbished and rehashed yet again shows complete and utter contempt to the citizens of Glasgow and their opinions are rarely sought as though we just don't matter. It's more likely to be another of Mathison's ego trips where he wants to leave his legacy to the public.
I don't give a damn about his sexual preferences, I just wish he could give as much thought to the people who live here as to his much publicised peccadillos with other men.

+Quote Post
cowcaddens kid
post 2nd Feb 2013, 12:22pm
Post #41

Visitor
Member No.: 7,915
I used to work in the head post office building in the late 1970,and 80s, like many people in the surrounding offices we would go and sit in the suare or on the grass on a warm summers day(we did get some!) lunch time or tea break and it was really a serious loss of amenity when they tore it all up in the late 90s.
Their current bright ideas -what a waste of money and right in the middle of this recession too-- next thing will be not enough money to run the commonwealth games properly or afford to use these new facilities for the benifit of the citizens yet again.
Me I would add a set of stocks to stick the high handed councillors in with free fruit to throw-- although some off us might just pay a little for the rotten eggs.
In all the years of my life I dont think the city council have improved the "dear green place" and in some places they have blighted the amenities forever---SAD IS IT NO!

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 2nd Feb 2013, 12:52pm
Post #42

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
Sad to relate, Glasgow is not the only place blighted by loony councillors. Nearby here in Roquetas de Mar, they are trying to regulate the pavement cafés and restaurants so that they all have white furniture with no advertising on them. In Nerja, one of the most popular Costa del Sol resorts, the eejit mayor has expressed the belief that the town has no need of tourists.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
Heather
post 2nd Feb 2013, 04:01pm
Post #43

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Nerja is a favourite Holiday place for my son and his family. They usually book a Villa for two weeks.

I must let him know he is no longer welcome there. rolleyes.gif

Having attended a Spanish University for a couple of years when a Student, my son speaks Spanish. So maybe he should email the Mayor and ask him why he no longer wants tourists.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
frame
post 2nd Feb 2013, 04:12pm
Post #44

Super Visitor
Member No.: 2,486
I have the feeling that this has more to do with a man's ego (Matheson) than any decisional need to upgrade George Square.
He is behaving like someone who suffers from the hubristic belief that he is right and as such is answerable to no one except God, (there have been many others in that mould, one very recently.)
He certainly knows how important George Square is to the people of Glasgow. He's very aware of how strong feeling is running against this plan and what's more, he doesn't appear to care.
He holds a high position in the city and in all probability considers himself omnipotent and above criticism.
The people of Glasgow have a major task on their hands if they want George square to be turned back into that little square acreage of trees, grass and summer days that sat in the middle of traffic but was an oasis of comfort and relaxation.
Protests en masse, coupled with a very sympathetic media for as long as it takes is one way.
Writing to this guy from every quarter is another, maybe help to ease his thinking. Nothing like sacks of mail landing on your office floor, all with the same message, to make you walk to your window, open it and (jump, dream on) look out at the square and go through a change of heart.

The board members are absolutely right. George Square should be for the people not for the meddlers in City Hall.

--------------------
speed bonny boat

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 2nd Feb 2013, 04:55pm
Post #45

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
QUOTE (Heather @ 2nd Feb 2013, 05:18pm) *
Nerja is a favourite Holiday place for my son and his family. They usually book a Villa for two weeks.

I must let him know he is no longer welcome there. rolleyes.gif

Having attended a Spanish University for a couple of years when a Student, my son speaks Spanish. So maybe he should email the Mayor and ask him why he no longer wants tourists.

Heather, Nerja has been a favourite place of ours since we discovered it 20 years ago and must be the most beautiful resort in Spain. We used to have an autumn break there and took Lynne´s dad there many times, after her mum died. He loved the place but sadly he passed away 6 years ago, not long before we moved.

Now it is barely 90 minutes away and we have visited it for many short breaks, but the alcalde has in recent years imposed punitive fees for what was a huge free car park- it amounts to about 18€ for an overnight stay. This must deter a lot of daytrippers too, as he has also forced owners of vacant ground to build dykes around them, forcing them to use the municipal park. I cannot vouch for the veracity of his reported quote, as it may just be that people, including residents, are not too happy.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th Jul 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.