Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

16 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Glasgow: Worst Schools In Britain?, City bottom of UK qualifications league
Hank Green
post 15th Sep 2011, 09:51am
Post #16

Unpacking
Member No.: 11,309
My schooldays in Glasgow ended in 1939 and they were happy and rewarding. I left Shawlands Academy and planned to continue to post-secondary education but the start of WW2 helped to change my plans. I went to work at the Glasgow Herald and in 1942 I entered the Royal Navy. On my discharge I entered Glasgow University and on graduation I emigrated to Canada. In Canada after one year I returned to studies and made a career in academia. I have always upheld the Glasgow School System. I married a Canadian sweetheart and have raised a Canadian family but I have never forgot the happiness of my early schooling.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
**alybainfan**
post 15th Sep 2011, 10:07am
Post #17

I attended Knightswood Senior Secondary as it was then.. in the late 60's, and I have to say even back then Teachers concentrated almost wholly on the smarter cleverer pupils and pretty much left the rest of us get on with by ourselves.

I don't believe this is a new phenomenon unfortunately.

+Quote Post
amclpreston
post 15th Sep 2011, 10:37am
Post #18

Unpacking
Member No.: 7,716
QUOTE (murphy @ 15th Sep 2011, 02:34am) *
I went to Wellshot School in Tollcross, Glasgow East End, as I have caught up with classmates they have good jobs and are all over the world, maybe the system has changed over the years, but dont you think school is what children put into their learning experiences. I think the parents need to be more involved in their childrens' schooling. I certainly learned a lot and it has stood me in great stead, God bless the Miss Chisholms, Mary and Jean.

Wellshot Road School was my first school, in 1957/58. My father worked as a gardener in Tollcross Park, and we lived in a flat in the park Mansion House.

I don't remember too much. What I do recall is feeling really lonely in the playground, lots of latch-key kids, and also the day I dropped my pencil in class. It rolled away, I told the teacher, she said that if I couldn't find it, and she had to lend me one, she would belt me. I can'r recall whether she did belt me, or whether she didn't, or whether I've just blanked it out.

Place to get out of, imo .

My father later became a teacher, and as he improved his career, the family moved every few years. First Milngavie, then Stranraer both primary and High School.

Far too easy to get beltings and thrashings in Scottish schools, in my opinion. And the belting, or threats of belting on 5 year olds, was beyond the pale.

+Quote Post
Scotsman
post 15th Sep 2011, 12:20pm
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,353
I went to Strathbungo Senior Secondary School for a while and I found that the level of teaching was a decent standard for most of the time but I kind of lost interest.... maybe the tachers could have done more??

I think the standard of education in Glasgow schools today is appalling compared to what it was when there was a system of senior secondaries who taught the brightest and best pupils. I think the teachers in todays comprehensive schools in Glasgow are just serving their time until they can get a job outside of the city or until they retire. A very poor standard indeed but do we ever hear politicians complaining.... let alone acting to make things better for our children??

+Quote Post
Southside jim
post 15th Sep 2011, 12:51pm
Post #20

Special Visitor
Member No.: 6,504
I attended Victoria primary in govanhill as well as copeland primary in govan. Both were really well run schools,and the teachers really helped you.

Then it was onto queen's park secondary ! Some of the staff didn't really bother as long as you held in your homework on time, and didn't disrupt the class. They were ok with what you did.

Now my sons schools years are totally different !! They attended victoria primary for 3yrs before moving to cuthbertson primary. And the teaching in both schools are terrible !

Is it the teachers or the way the government try and focus on various PC related issue's !

My son's were tested for dyslexia ! Tests went on for yrs only to find out that the school board were'nt quailified ion testing for this 1 So 3-5yrs wasted doing tests all over again ! Our youngest sons was bullied by a teacher in P1 !!! As she didn't really like dealing with young kids !!! Why be a teacher then !!

Our youngest sons' confidence was broken until he got a new teacher in P2. She was brilliant with him, and did everything she could to push him along and encourage him with his work !

Teachers have to go over and over the same things daily now, because of the infux of immigrants attending schools, who don't understand the basic english lanuage !! So class work sufferes for other pupils ! Then you have those who don't bother doing any type of school work ! And they disrupt the class !

Then you have head-teachers who it seems want one of those old-badges that McDonalds staff used to wear ! For customer service !! They will do everything they can to make surethe governments policy on immirants students meets the targets at the expense of the local children !!

If parents are not teaching their kids basic english at home ! Then what chance do the teachers have, when they have to keep teaching the basics every day for those who are not intrested !!

Now our twin sons are at shawlands academy. And things seem ok so-far ! A few things we've had to keep asking about ! But will see how the implement their dyslexia program later in the year. And if we feel its not working we will soon let them know !!

+Quote Post
mlconnelly
post 15th Sep 2011, 01:52pm
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,809
I cant make up my mind which way to vote on this 1. I attended both St Augustine's Primary and secondary schools in Milton and I left in 1976 with no qualifications but that never held me back as I got a job almost right away and was in employment constantly up until 3 years ago. At that time we were told that the Scottish Education system was 2nd to none in the world, and I believe at the time it was, so what happened? The powers that be, in their infinite wisdom, decided to change how things were done and in turn ruined it. What happened to "If its not broke, don't fix it". As I dont have children of my own I dont feel able to judge whether its the education system thats letting our kids down or somethings else. What I do know is that at age 7 I could read fairly well but at age 9 my god-daughter struggles to read a complete sentence without making mistakes and my 7 year old nephew can barely read at all. Mary

+Quote Post
LizzieLou
post 15th Sep 2011, 02:40pm
Post #22

Unpacking
Member No.: 11,017
I was born and brought up in Glasgow and was always very proud of my schooling. I'm now a working pensioner and still proud. In my days a Scottish Education was deemed to be the best in the world and for many it still is, myself included. At least when we were young we learned the three "R's" nowadays so many of the youngsters can't read, write or do even simple arithmetic, technology is a wonderful thing but the basics must take priority. Our classes were often very overcrowded but all it did was give us determination to succeed, that determination has sadly gone for many of today's children. There is more funding than ever available for schooling but it doesn't always fall in the right places. An example of this is, teaching English as a first language to residents who should already be speaking the language of the country they live in. I rest my case Lizziellou.

+Quote Post
angel
post 15th Sep 2011, 03:18pm
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
I was one of the very fortunate children who attended school when
Scotland had a decent education system.
When I was in primary school , it was very important to me to learn how to read , even at that young age I realized that reading was knowledge
so when I would get home from school my father would spend time teaching me how to read the newspapers and next day our teacher would let me read whatever topic I had read , too the class .
Those teachers took an interest in their pupils , but I think in most cases
for today's teachers their profession is simply a job with a pay cheque .

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 15th Sep 2011, 03:59pm
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,956
I've just read this thread.

Have to say I'm not only shocked but dreadfully disappointed in the conclusions this Union report came to.

Tony said 'Education, Education, Education'. My, how those words should be resounding in his head.

Clearly, too much tinkering - too much theorising - about what is needed or not needed - has not done Glasgow, an OUNCE of good. Sadly, I have to say (and make an assuption) that those tasked with ensuring youngsters get a good start in life - have failed them miserably. sad.gif

--------------------
adversus solem ne loquitor

+Quote Post
okiegal
post 15th Sep 2011, 04:21pm
Post #25

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,142
I was born & raised in Glasgow & attended the best schools in the world. I attended Saint Aloysius in Renton St. then I went on to Garnethill Convent of Mercy & I believe my education was second to none. We had great respect for our teachers as they did expect this from us but they also respected us. I came to the USA in 1961 & my husband, kids & grandkids are Americans & wonderful people but I am still the same wee lassie fae "GLESGA" & I wouldn't trade my raising in "GLESGA" with anyone else in the world.

+Quote Post
*Bob McDougall*
post 15th Sep 2011, 04:38pm
Post #26

@wee davy

I have to agree with you, especially having just read the story on the BBC website, Glasgow, Liverpool, Nottingham top jobless households, that Glasgow is one of only three UK cities where more than 30% of homes have no-one working in them.

Saying that the Glasgow city fathers have failed miserably is an understatement!

Bob McDougall.

+Quote Post
**lizzielou**
post 15th Sep 2011, 04:39pm
Post #27

QUOTE (wee davy @ 15th Sep 2011, 04:45pm) *
I've just read this thread.

Have to say I'm not only shocked but dreadfully disappointed in the conclusions this Union report came to.

Tony said 'Education, Education, Education'. My, how those words should be resounding in his head.

Clearly, too much tinkering - too much theorising - about what is needed or not needed - has not done Glasgow, an OUNCE of good. Sadly, I have to say (and make an assuption) that those tasked with ensuring youngsters get a good start in life - have failed them miserably. sad.gif

Very much agree with you there.

+Quote Post
*huffydoll*
post 15th Sep 2011, 05:01pm
Post #28

Well, I must say that we get what we vote for in this city. Year after year, generation after generation, and the talent our youth is wasted in schools that are quite obviously not fit for purpose.

+Quote Post
frame
post 15th Sep 2011, 05:21pm
Post #29

Super Visitor
Member No.: 2,486
Easter 1960 marked the end of my school days. I was all of 15 years old when I walked out of St Bernard's schoolyard gates for the last time. I was travelling light academically but that was down to me not the people employed to teach me, they did their best.
I'm ashamed to say that I had no interest in education or what the benefits of it might bring.
Walking through those gates was a kind of freedom and I believed then the only way for me was up.
Thankfully I discovered and very soon the error that I had made. The most important years of my life just tossed away through laziness, idleness and a complete disregard for learning. I started reading everything that came my way, anything I could get my hands on no matter what, I read it.
I took further education on the basics and moved on from there. I could actually feel energy flowing through me and at times couldn't believe how good I felt about myself. The years passed and I met and married, would you believe, a maths teacher.
We raised a family of three, a girl and two boys.
I know for certain that when they walked through their schoolyard gates for the last time, the only way was unquestionably up.

--------------------
speed bonny boat

+Quote Post
*lew dick*
post 15th Sep 2011, 07:21pm
Post #30

One point that han't been brought up. The authority of the teachers has been taken away. Back when I went to school, when the teacher told you to do homework, it was done without question. Today, it seems as if the pupils have too much say , in what goes on in the classroom. Teachers can't discipline those who don't apply themseves and the rest of the class gets held back waiting for them to catch up. I don't think it is the teachers at fault. I think it is the modern thinking of teenagers today.

+Quote Post

16 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th Mar 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.