Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

13 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Glasgow Accent Sounds Most Stupid, Researchers claim untainted snobbery
brookbond
post 2nd Aug 2011, 07:26am
Post #31

Unpacking
Member No.: 11,261
Is she takin ra piss?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GG
post 2nd Aug 2011, 07:30am
Post #32

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Not withstanding Billy's humorous intervention, personally, I would have to agree with the research findings that a broad Glasgow accent (as Benny says, there is more than one Glasgow accent) sometimes does lead to prejudice and snobbery.

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
drew1952
post 2nd Aug 2011, 07:49am
Post #33

Visitor
Member No.: 6,582
These guys only put this drivvle out to see the 'kinda reaction they get, and, as usual they've provoked comment, I live in Brum been here 40 odd years and, it cannot be helped I now talk in both 'kin accents, how do you think I get on LOL. Billy Connolly by the way talks in a scottish accent because in his own words "he has great difficulty doing any other accent"

+Quote Post
irrie
post 2nd Aug 2011, 07:58am
Post #34

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,735
Morning all. When my wife Marlyn and i were in London i thought it was strange that most people understood my Glasgow accent and recognised it but they thought Marlyns Ayrshire accent was French : dry.gif Cheers

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 2nd Aug 2011, 08:38am
Post #35

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
I guess I have two versions of speaking, one is "Glesga" and the other "Glasgow", but my accent remains the same. On one occasion during my working life, I was speaking to a teenager in my normal "Glesga". He accused me of putting it on to try and fit in with the company ohmy.gif I felt really insulted laugh.gif

On another occasion I was waiting to be served in a small bar in Jersey and overheard the conversation between the lone barman and customer. The customer asked how he coped with all the different accents he came across, the barman said it was easy as he was so used to them all now. My turn, I asked for a couple of pints of lager and the barman said............sorry??? laugh.gif

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
Margaret Mary
post 2nd Aug 2011, 08:39am
Post #36

Unpacking
Member No.: 2,756
I have never had any problems with my Glasgow Accent, most people love it!

+Quote Post
flashton
post 2nd Aug 2011, 08:46am
Post #37

Unpacking
Member No.: 4,686
I have lived south of the border for more than 30 years now, so have had to modify both my accent and speed to be understood, but people still ask if I am Irish!

However, the most difficult time was when I was working in Aberdeen and used to visit an elderly lady from the countryside. Once we got past "fit like" & "nae bad" we might as well have been talking Greek- neither of us could understand a word the other said.

When I was living in Portugal and speaking Portugese people thought I was French.

That Tower of Babel sure has a lot to answer for.

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 2nd Aug 2011, 08:53am
Post #38

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,956
First of all - welcome to so many new 'china's on this thread biggrin.gif I counted about 4/5.

In my 24 yr tenure as one of HM Queen Elizabeth's loyal servicemen, my accent in the early days, sometimes worked against me - as our reputations go before us, I'm afraid.

If anything, as I got older (and maybe wiser?), I found it bizzarely seemed to help me, in my day to day liasons/communications.
The less gutteral, and more smooth 'Glesga' becomes - the more seductive and fascinating it tends to makes us! LOL speaking for myself of course laugh.gif

--------------------
adversus solem ne loquitor

+Quote Post
Melody
post 2nd Aug 2011, 08:57am
Post #39

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
Aw don't get me started. See the English they want to learn to listen. mad.gif We listen intently to the many, many English accents and try to tune in order not to insult anyone. On the telephone I've often been aware of the snobbery of the English, it's almost possible to visualise the looking down of the nose at you. Anyone can put on a posh accent, it's easy. Linguistics is the skill in being able to adjust your accent in order to connect with someone. There's nothing funnier than hearing a Glaswegian putting on a posh accent. There is in reality no such thing. Telt ye ye'd get me started. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 2nd Aug 2011, 09:17am
Post #40

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
QUOTE (d.barber @ 2nd Aug 2011, 06:07am) *
... By the way the "loveliest" accent I ever heard was a felow cook from Buckie, Fife. He was also a great Accordion player.
Dee Bee

Buckie, Fife ? unsure.gif

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 2nd Aug 2011, 09:18am
Post #41

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
I think people on here are confusing accent with dialect. huh.gif

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
Negotiate Now
post 2nd Aug 2011, 09:33am
Post #42

Unpacking
Member No.: 10,951
Not being Glaswegian I like the accent but find it difficult to understand when people speak really fast. Billy Connolly and Lorraine Kelly have come a long way and there's Lulu who changes her accent all the time from Glaswegian to American.
Irene

--------------------
www.negotiatenow.co.uk

+Quote Post
norrie123
post 2nd Aug 2011, 09:41am
Post #43

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,552
My wife and I were on a cruise, passengers were mostly American and Canadians, we had a conversation with one man and he said can we hang on till his wife arrived, they loved our accent
I have heard English accents that you could cut with a knife, we dont make a song and dance about it, we just get on with it
Funny how some Scottish programmes on TV have had subtitles placed on them, when being broadcast nationwide but we dont need sub titles for anything from England

Bye for now, norrie

+Quote Post
gamlenils
post 2nd Aug 2011, 09:42am
Post #44

Unpacking
Member No.: 8,508
I lived in London for 15 years and found that in my working life clients tended to trust me more than my english colleagues.

+Quote Post
Hank Green
post 2nd Aug 2011, 09:44am
Post #45

Unpacking
Member No.: 11,309
In the late 1960's, Gordon Donaldson a Broadcast Journalist with the CBC (Canada) was removed from a TV spot reporting on the Moon Launch (and eventual landing) because of complaints from listeners that it was difficult to understand his gutteral Glasgow accent. Most Glaswegians make Moon sound like MOOOON. True story! I understand that Donaldson was from Shawlands!

+Quote Post

13 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.