Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

10 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
> What's For Ye, Won 't Go By Ye, Glasgow Family at War and into the 60's
Rating 2 V
Java
post 12th Feb 2007, 01:49pm
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,211
She had to pay them?

--------------------
A friend knows the song in my heart and sings it to me when my memory fails...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Avril
post 12th Feb 2007, 02:35pm
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,509
Hi stuarty, I've just checked and 'Annie Moon' by Sam Smith is 'out of print' now. Have you got your first edition signed by the author? If it's not going to be re-printed then it might be worth something one day! smile.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
BOOKS..What's For Ye, Won't Go By Ye/Chasin' that Carrot/Mammograms Save Lives/Time Makes Changes/Treachery and Triumph...TV DRAMA..Broken Promises ...website www.avrilsaunders.co.uk

+Quote Post
stuarty
post 12th Feb 2007, 02:43pm
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,972
a have first edition but a wouldny want any money as it would be blood money the wummin was a money grabbin faker and always braggin aboot aww her money and she was just not a nice woman as she had a daughter and denies she exists as she messed her plans up to immagrate to aussieland but the daughter does not acknowlage her any way shape or form and her other daughter is a spoilt brat and her son was a con man nice family eh mad.gif

--------------------
gie me a wee minite

+Quote Post
Avril
post 12th Feb 2007, 03:00pm
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
That's a good storyline for a book in itself stuarty. Why don't you give it a go! biggrin.gif smile.gif

--------------------
BOOKS..What's For Ye, Won't Go By Ye/Chasin' that Carrot/Mammograms Save Lives/Time Makes Changes/Treachery and Triumph...TV DRAMA..Broken Promises ...website www.avrilsaunders.co.uk

+Quote Post
Java
post 12th Feb 2007, 03:02pm
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Georgia d'ye mind me askin how much it cost tae get yer book printed? Is it a fortune?

--------------------

+Quote Post
stuarty
post 12th Feb 2007, 03:52pm
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,972
me write a book a would rather tell it all on gg for free laugh.gif

--------------------
gie me a wee minite

+Quote Post
Avril
post 12th Feb 2007, 04:56pm
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
Hi Java,

I wrote to and emailed my manuscript to hundreds of publishers, who liked it but were reluctant to put my book into print because I wasn’t already a famous author. They all encouraged me not to give up and some recommended other publishers who might be interested in my work. Finally I got down to three publishers who loved my novel and wanted to publish it. In January 2006, I made the decision to go with Derwent Press and by March 2006 my book was on sale all over the world. You can see their website at www.derwentpress.com

Pam Marin-Kingsley, who is based in Boston and designed the cover of my book, has now taken over the company. She is a very talented lady who has worked on many films and book covers. We worked back and forth by email, she put my thoughts onto paper and after many different ideas, we came up with the final result which I was delighted with.

Self publishing is very popular now with the internet being a great sales base however a publishing company still has to accept your work because they have to put their name to it.

Most publishers who deal in self publishing for authors will get your book onto Amazon, but the author has to do their own sales and marketing and getting it into the shops is extremely difficult and costly. You have to send off loads of copies to different booksellers (which you have to buy from your publisher), some booksellers don't bother to get back, others have the courtesy to reply. I was very lucky that Waterstones liked my novel and put it onto their database to be sold in their Scottish shops. My publisher was delighted and amazed, he said that I must have wonderful powers of persuasion because Waterstones are known for NEVER accepting first time authors and very seldom take on authors who self publish, result was that Waterstones took an all the authors by Derwent Press, so my publisher was a very happy man. I managed to get Borders and Ottakars to sell my book in their Glasgow shops too.

I have a very good friend called Vince Powell, he wrote just about every sit-com for Thames TV...Never the Twain, Love Thy Neighbour, George & Mildred to name a few. He read my manuscript and loved it. He told me to go for it. He advised me to be prepared for the refusals but to keep going and never give up, and just like 'Robert the Bruce' this is what I did. It was a very hard and costly business in the beginning. I spent over a couple of years writing to publishers & booksellers, sending manuscripts then finally books off and telephoning them. Now my perseverance is paying off and my novel is practically selling itself by word of mouth all over the world! (even Tesco are selling it on-line) biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Java
post 12th Feb 2007, 05:08pm
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
Ye've confused me noo Georgia...(anno, it's no difficult)...if you had three publishers who wanted to publish it, why would you go with self publishing?...and if you've been asked to do a sequel, isn't that just so that they can take more money from you, or will they pay for the sequel?...sorry...anno....ah'm a bit dim....

--------------------

+Quote Post
Avril
post 12th Feb 2007, 05:27pm
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
Naw Java!!!!! Three self publishing companies wanted to publish my book but I decided that Derwent Press was the best offer. One of the companies insisted that my book should be hardback and wanted to sell it for £15.95 which I thought was far too expensive because I knew that folk buying a wee read for their holidays would never pay that sort of money. The other company wanted to sell it for £12-£13. Derwent said they could turn it out for £8.95 which I thought was very reasonable. I get a £2.10 in royalties for every book sold.

The publishers have asked me IF I'm interested in writing a sequel, I have had lots of requests from folk who have read my book to do a sequel, so that's why I'm doing it. As yet I'm not making any money out of it, I've actually spent more than I've made but maybe one day..................

--------------------

+Quote Post
Java
post 12th Feb 2007, 05:50pm
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
Right...noo ah get it...(takes me a while but ah get there in the end)...that puts a whole new light oan it....thank you.. biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Avril
post 12th Feb 2007, 06:05pm
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
Thank god fur that!!! laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
wee mags
post 13th Apr 2007, 01:31am
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12
georgia I have your book but have not read it yet ,Iam keeping it to read on the plane [if ma son ever gets his passport ] sad.gif

--------------------
fae Maryhill noo the USA

+Quote Post
Avril
post 17th Apr 2007, 06:28pm
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
Sorry Mags, I just noticed your message. I hope your son gets his passport sorted out and you'll soon be winging your way across the pond! Oh and I hope too that you enjoy the read, though I usually start out with good intentions of reading or watching the in-flight movie when I'm on a long-haul flight and end up falling asleep and doing niether laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
wee mags
post 17th Apr 2007, 11:16pm
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12
Georgia I have my instructions nae sleepin, as I do snore [so mike tells everyone] I have also have been told not to say good [God in Govan] as I have a tendinsy to say that when I am nervous biggrin.gif

--------------------
fae Maryhill noo the USA

+Quote Post
Avril
post 18th Apr 2007, 08:02am
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
Don't worry mags, plenty folk snore oan planes, ye cannae hear it fur the noise o' the engines laugh.gif An' a' us Glaswegians know that there is 'God God in Govan' biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.