Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Night Song Of The Last Tram, Harry Forshaw
billie
post 6th Apr 2008, 04:30pm
Post #46

Settling In
Member No.: 5,380
I too, liked robert's 'somewhere to lay my head'...but not so much the last one in the trilogy..

He is my kind of writer..makes you laugh out loud....and makes you cry..or even just to get that lump in the throat...best of all he (unlike many writers of to-day) didnt need to put any money upfront to have his work published... it was his own style of writing that caught the publisher's eye.
H did say that in has last book that he would never do this...put money upfront.. either it was accepted ....or it was not...

lucky for him it was eh smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
billie
post 8th Apr 2008, 01:08pm
Post #47

Settling In
Member No.: 5,380
QUOTE (Scots Kiwi Lass @ 13th Feb 2008, 11:12 AM) *
Robert Douglas's first book was terrific, more so for my two sisters and myself as we grew up about 100 yards away from 14 Doncaster Street - at 43 Hinshaw Street. The teachers he named at Springbank and North Kelvinside Sec. School were all known to us, as were shopkeepers, streets, parks, neighbours, Blythswood Cinema, etc. etc. I wrote to Robert to congratulate him and he very kindly sent me several photos taken in the back courts.
Robert's book is a real treasure and I have just read it for the third time! Now on to "Somewhere to Lay my Head" for the second time. He also has a third book but I have not yet read it but am sure it will also be a cracker. Keep it up, Robert.

Scots kiwi lass...
well this goes to show what a down to earth guy robert must be..some dont even bother to answer you. you must have liked it a lot to read it twice..it is very rarely i myself would do this...about twice in my lifetime I would say..

Lets hope robert churns out more books eh? smile.gif

+Quote Post
*ian barr*
post 31st May 2008, 03:25pm
Post #48

QUOTE (aaron king @ 27th Mar 2006, 01:39 PM) *
i thought this may interest ,this is a painting by the author of the book,nightsong of the last tram,it was sent to me from jim mcdonald who was mentioned in the book,the painting is doncaster st,maryhill

I think the Barr vehicle is one of my grandad's coal lorries. Can you tell me more about the painting.

+Quote Post
Venus
post 15th Jul 2009, 08:49pm
Post #49

Resident
Member No.: 6,952
To Ian Barr,
I remember Barr the coal merchant and also Bobby Bell delivering to Hinshaw Street in the 50/60s.These guys were ofter accused(quite wrongly)by my granny of short weight or giving us bags of dross.On other occasions they were berated for failing to turn up on the right days.With regard to the lorry illustrated in that superb painting I think it is the Ginger lorry delivering to the wee shop at the bottom of Doncaster Street,Barrs Irn-Bru,Tizer et al.
Regards

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 11th Jan 2010, 03:22pm
Post #50

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,956
I have read all three of Rob's books, and without a doubt, this first one is by far the best. It captures mid 20th Century Maryhill, perfectly, and it will become a Classic. His 2nd one, is a continuation of the first, so needs to be read, but not written with the same passion I feel. The third simply 'rounds off' his life story, and although fairly interesting, wasnt a patch on his 1st in the trilogy. It was a very bravely written tombe, warts and all.

He has got talent, and is a real gentleman.

If he's only ever known for 'Night Song' it would be enough for him, I'm sure - but lets hope it isnt 'the last tram' smile.gif

--------------------
adversus solem ne loquitor

+Quote Post
*glasgow diaspora*
post 9th Dec 2010, 02:03pm
Post #51

I'm reading this book right now. I've just finished the Boy of the Garngad, by Allan Kelly which is an excellent read.

In case anyone is interested, the link is below.
http://www.boyofthegarngad.com/

+Quote Post
gg diaspora
post 9th Dec 2010, 02:30pm
Post #52

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,168
Just began reading this last week. Finished reading Boy of the Garngad a few weeks ago and it is a tremendous read.

I think if you like the last tram, you'll like this one too.

Link below for anyone interested.

http://www.boyofthegarngad.com/

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.