Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Glasgow Gang Observed
Elkay
post 2nd Oct 2007, 11:30am
Post #1

Visitor
Member No.: 3,889
Glasgow gang Observed by James Patrick

I read this book over 20 years ago and it was great. I think it might be out of print now as I could never find it again to re read (I borrowed it the first time)

From memory he was a sociologist or teacher and managed to join one of the Maryhill gangs and observe and research them and other gangs in Glasgow.

It was a good read and very true of the gang culture in the late 50's 60's

Anyone have a copy I could borrow smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DOLKIN
post 26th Apr 2008, 10:01pm
Post #2

Lord Provost
Member No.: 5,372
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Glasgow-Gang-Obser...7012&sr=1-2

try this link to amazon might be what ur looking for

+Quote Post
lianmy
post 27th Apr 2008, 03:23am
Post #3

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 103
I do have this book and would be happy to lend it to you Elkay.

+Quote Post
*Guest elkay **
post 27th Apr 2008, 07:03am
Post #4

Hi Lianmy

Thats very generous and kind of you , but Im in Brisbane sad.gif

+Quote Post
stuarty
post 27th Apr 2008, 12:48pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,972
wow did you see what that book is worth 98pounds it must be a collectable 98 thats 2short of 100 wub.gif

--------------------
gie me a wee minite

+Quote Post
lianmy
post 28th Apr 2008, 12:18am
Post #6

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 103
Stuarty you nearly gave me a heart attack then, I never thought this book was worth anything. Elkay maybe we could arrange something, I will be up in Brisbane in July then again September or October. Depending on were you are as these will only be flying visits to family, maybe I could drop the book off in July then pick it when we come up later.

+Quote Post
stuarty
post 28th Apr 2008, 02:34pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,972
look on the site that dolkin put up wub.gif

--------------------
gie me a wee minite

+Quote Post
andra24
post 24th May 2008, 05:12pm
Post #8

Visitor
Member No.: 5,249
A paperback version of it sold on eBay last week for a penny off 45! I recently purchased the hardback version for 6 - looks like I got a bargain...

+Quote Post
yeahreally
post 26th May 2008, 10:49pm
Post #9

Unpacking
Member No.: 5,718
The author of glasgow gang observed was my old Latin teacher who taught in St Augustine's Secondary Liddesdale Rd Milton about 1965/66. We found it really amusing when he came into class the next day after being disguised on TV news etc. , trying to deny it wasn't him!

+Quote Post
*Guest elkay **
post 27th May 2008, 12:38am
Post #10

Lianmy thats so kind but would you believe We are away on holiday in July and Im going home to Scotland Sept/Oct!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but thanks anyway, your very generous.
Andra24.......you jammie wee bism, 6 QUID I cant believe that one, where did you find that!

+Quote Post
Dexter St. Clair
post 27th May 2008, 07:36am
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,715
QUOTE (yeahreally @ 26th May 2008, 11:56 PM) *
The author of glasgow gang observed was my old Latin teacher who taught in St Augustine's Secondary Liddesdale Rd Milton about 1965/66. We found it really amusing when he came into class the next day after being disguised on TV news etc. , trying to deny it wasn't him!

If you would like to send me his name in a PM I'd greatly appreciate it.

I have my suspicions as to who it is but he has consistently denied it.

+Quote Post
tarzan
post 29th Jul 2011, 01:34pm
Post #12

Visitor
Member No.: 3,432
QUOTE (Elkay @ 2nd Oct 2007, 01:16pm) *
Glasgow gang Observed by James Patrick

I read this book over 20 years ago and it was great. I think it might be out of print now as I could never find it again to re read (I borrowed it the first time)

From memory he was a sociologist or teacher and managed to join one of the Maryhill gangs and observe and research them and other gangs in Glasgow.

It was a good read and very true of the gang culture in the late 50's 60's

Anyone have a copy I could borrow smile.gif

I read this book and didn't believe that anyone could be taken in by it or its author.
Coming from Blackhill I was no stranger to the gang culture of the 60's and
I laughed out loud at the report of the (alleged) gang members talking about "the mummies" as if they believed they actually existed.
Every (working class) Glesga wean of the 50's & 60's heard, at one time or another, "the mummies" were coming to their school.
Oh aye, they wore auld ragged bloody bandages, carried axes and went round chibbing weans.
Get the Wee Malkies on to them.

+Quote Post
Dave61
post 29th Apr 2013, 09:38pm
Post #13

Unpacking
Member No.: 20,875
After 40 odd years the book has been re-published with a new Preface from the author whose name is now widely known. Interesting to read what he says, contrary to earlier assertions of protecting the boys annonymity, it transpires they wanted names published and with colour photos.

I'm reminded how fickle loyalties can be. The main character is chased for his life by an older boy fearing serious assualt. Later his older brother threatens to kill the assailant. Six months later the main character is involved in a street fight on the same side as his assailant who is stabbed to death. The book refers to the deceased as the Mad Mexican. Those more familiar with the events/area will remember the Mad Spaniard.

+Quote Post
*Bluey*
post 2nd May 2013, 01:14am
Post #14

QUOTE (lianmy @ 28th Apr 2008, 12:35am) *
Stuarty you nearly gave me a heart attack then, I never thought this book was worth anything. Elkay maybe we could arrange something, I will be up in Brisbane in July then again September or October. Depending on were you are as these will only be flying visits to family, maybe I could drop the book off in July then pick it when we come up later.

Wid it no be cheaper tae post it than takin' it up by a eroplane? Ye could send it wi the Brisbane Courier Mail.
biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
*william mcgregor*
post 2nd May 2014, 01:39am
Post #15

The mad Spaniard was my dads cousin my dads name was Hugh (Shug) Mcgregor froom Cowcaddens otherwise known as the Shotgun King there's a photo on Google images when he was 20ish under Glasgow gansters Shotgun King it looks like a police efit lol. Just found it last week he died on my 25th birthday 2007 he was meant to meet Peter later on that night never forgave himself. GBNF the mad spaniard aka Peter Mcgregor and the Shotgun King aka Hugh Mcgregor.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.