Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

274 Pages V  « < 265 266 267 268 269 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Uk Independence Referendum - Brexit, Yes or No on EU membership
Rating 3 V
JAGZ1876
post 26th Apr 2019, 05:04pm
Post #3991

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
"Both on the losing side in Governments that lost the argument and subsequently their majority with these two as leader"

Going by that logic every world leader will be a loser at some point Kem.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 26th Apr 2019, 05:08pm
Post #3992

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Dykejumper @ 21st Apr 2019, 10:41pm) *
Jagz has forgotten that 'Gnats' was a term devised by a fellow Nat.I wonder how he would describe
those SNP supporters who have been disgracefully attacking Flora Robertson.

What?

Is there any chance of you actually posting about the thread topic DJ?

+Quote Post
Kemedian
post 4th May 2019, 08:46pm
Post #3993

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 25,884
My UK is European, so I'll be disappointed with us "IF" we leave.

Would I be disappointed enough to leave the UK?

I hope I don't get asked. I hope the economic argument for staying in the EU doesn't trump staying in the UK.

"IF" it did, I could be persuaded to rethink my 2014 vote.

The First Minister has taken the bait but why should Yessers get a second vote "IF" Remainers are refused their same demand?

"IF" the Prime Minister doesn't want to risk Scottish independence then give us another Brexit referendum.

QUOTE (Sturgeon @ 24th April, 2019)
IF we are to safeguard Scotland's interests, we cannot wait indefinitely.

That is why I consider that a choice between Brexit and a future for Scotland as an independent European nation should be offered in the lifetime of this parliament.

There's that word again... ... "lifetime".

unsure.gif

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 5th May 2019, 07:37am
Post #3994

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
Sorry Ken, it may well be just me but, I have no idea what point you are trying to make.

Meanwhile in the English local elections, huge gains for parties supporting remain/second referendum. What do we get from the Tories and Labour, the public were telling us to get on with Brexit censored.png

If you ever needed evidence that the two main parties are at best deluded or (more likely) liars who are pursuing their own interests and agendas over that of the electorate, you now have it.

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
carmella
post 5th May 2019, 10:51am
Post #3995

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
I have often wondered how the Brexit vote was broken down by country. I think between Scotland, England, Northern Ireland and Wales, we can be pretty sure the bulk weight of that result was by England. If I could be bothered I would investigate further.

It must be a very worrying time for Brits who live part of their time for at least six months in any year, if Brexit goes through because they will only be able to spend three months at a time and three months back in the UK, Making it very difficult, also people with pet passports. Unless your family background qualifies you to apply for another passport within any European country!

Just a thought !

I am using my IPAD and I hate it, can’t beat a desktop.

--------------------
It is possible to fail in many ways...while to succeed is possible only in one way.
- Aristotle

+Quote Post
Kemedian
post 5th May 2019, 04:09pm
Post #3996

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (ashfield @ 5th May 2019, 08:37am) *
Sorry Kem, it may well be just me but, I have no idea what point you are trying to make.

I find the word "If" very interesting in the First Minister's latest pronouncement.

I'm hoping that "If" never happens and I'm never forced into the dilemma of choosing between the EU and the UK.

I also think Sturgeon is a pragmatist by nature but she's playing a high-stakes game of chance in order to keep her Party together. A second EU referendum is edging nearer in my opinion, which she outwardly campaigns for but inwardly surely dreads, and that is the chance she's taken.

Over Easter, under severe pressure to act, the SNP leader chose to put all their eggs in the Brexit basket and, ironically, Westminster incompetence could be their undoing in the occurrence of another public ballot and vote to remain.

In case you can't tell, Ash, our First Minister has my respect in the light of her Brexit stance and, who knows, if Brexit doesn't happen and in following she drops her Party's pursuit of Scottish independence for a wee while, then if she survived politically she might even get my vote!

biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 6th May 2019, 07:55am
Post #3997

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
Kem, thank you for the clarification. “If” you don’t mind I’ll stick to the topic, although I accept that the “if” you refer to is about consequences.

I despair that so many people are sanguine despite the blatant lies emanating from the Tories and Labour, and right from the top of both. I did have to laugh though, at IDS blaming May and telling her to go. Who was it that came up with the debacle of Universal credit again rolleyes.gif

Given all the lies that have been told, the very least we should expect is a second referendum on Brexit, and I don’t mean some mealy mouth repackaging of the “back of a fag packet” deal negotiated by Westminster.

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 6th May 2019, 09:42am
Post #3998

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (ashfield @ 5th May 2019, 08:37am) *
Sorry Ken, it may well be just me but, I have no idea what point you are trying to make.

No, it's definitely not just you Ash.

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 6th May 2019, 09:45am
Post #3999

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (carmella @ 5th May 2019, 11:51am) *
I have often wondered how the Brexit vote was broken down by country. I think between Scotland, England, Northern Ireland and Wales, we can be pretty sure the bulk weight of that result was by England. If I could be bothered I would investigate further.

It must be a very worrying time for Brits who live part of their time for at least six months in any year, if Brexit goes through because they will only be able to spend three months at a time and three months back in the UK, Making it very difficult, also people with pet passports. Unless your family background qualifies you to apply for another passport within any European country!

Just a thought !

I am using my IPAD and I hate it, can’t beat a desktop.

If i didn't know better i'd swear that was a post from a Remainer Carmella. unsure.gif

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 6th May 2019, 09:55am
Post #4000

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Kemedian @ 5th May 2019, 05:09pm) *
she's playing a high-stakes game of chance in order to keep her Party together.

who knows, if Brexit doesn't happen and in following she drops her Party's pursuit of Scottish independence for a wee while, then if she survived politically she might even get my vote!

biggrin.gif

No chance of May and Corbyn keeping their parties together though, and i doubt the FM will require your vote Kem. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Kemedian
post 6th May 2019, 10:15am
Post #4001

Mega City Key Holder
Labour's Watson and Starmer won't accept a Tory Brexit lightly unless there's another public vote attached, or so they say. They, unlike their ex-colleagues in the new Change UK Party, still hope to influence Euro-sceptic Corbyn to side with the majority of Labour Party members who are demanding a referendum.

This all spells trouble for the SNP, as I see it.

For as long as I can remember the SNP has been telling us that the Westminster system of Politics isn't fit for purpose. The Holyrood Parliament showed itself very competent after Scotland's referendum in 2014. Little did the SNP guess, however, that would set in motion a bid by the UK Government to settle the debate over EU membership...

The SNP are putting on a brave face, but their worst nightmare is potentially unfolding in front of them and so far the votes of SNP MPs are making matters worse. Westminster Politics could actually be on the verge of substantial change; something the SNP has always argued couldn't happen, and something that the SNP could arguably be responsible for.

Splits are appearing in the two main UK Parties around the issue of a confirmatory referendum, as if the first one didn't do enough damage.

Could it be, that all the SNP's hard work will bring down Westminster Politics as we know it? What a dramatic irony that would be.

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 8th May 2019, 11:19am
Post #4002

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Kemedian @ 6th May 2019, 11:15am) *
This all spells trouble for the SNP, as I see it.

Wishful thinking, nothing else. yes.gif

+Quote Post
Kemedian
post 8th May 2019, 08:16pm
Post #4003

Mega City Key Holder
Perhaps, Jagz.

But who envisaged this turmoil? Which Party had planning in place for current events?

Don't tell me the SNP.

MPs do not want to hand Brexit to its right-wing nationalist instigators, they'll sacrifice the system (and their reputations) before that happens, by refusing to back the deal and passing permission back to the people because it's the right thing to do.

And the SNP won't have a bad thing to say about it. Your Party may decry the apparent chaos, but it fears the eventual outcome that it can't avoid supporting, and that's a second Euro referendum.

Next time, MPs will be ready, but the Party lines will be alltogether rewritten.

Yes there will be unrest, and not just within Westminster! And who was it that first sought to tear up the status quo... ah yes, your Party, the SNP in 2014. In 2014 we were just 5% from disaster, then the madness spread South and the towers of London now teeter on the brink of Brexit.

This is the havoc of Nationalist Politics. We are in the grip of Brexit, yet your Party is at present screaming 'freedom' and demanding a whole new INDYREF! The only point in a second public vote is to overturn the unwanted result of the first, let's be honest about it. (There would be no public appetite for Indyref2 if the British public changes its mind about leaving the EU, far from it.)

I'm a Unionist, but get me out of here. Maybe Wombat will recommend a nice spot in the jungle for me. cool.gif

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 8th May 2019, 10:50pm
Post #4004

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Kemedian @ 8th May 2019, 09:16pm) *
This is the havoc of Nationalist Politics. We are in the grip of Brexit, yet your Party is at present screaming 'freedom' and demanding a whole new INDYREF!

Well your "Nationalist Politics" has caused this impasse Kem, so what is your solution and why should the SNP disregard their raison d'Ítre when you British nationalists can't even agree on what you want?

+Quote Post
wombat
post 9th May 2019, 12:22am
Post #4005

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,196
QUOTE (Kemedian @ 8th May 2019, 08:16pm) *
I'm a Unionist, but get me out of here. Maybe Wombat will recommend a nice spot in the jungle for me. cool.gif

rolleyes.gif erm tongue.gif england laugh.gif

--------------------
the mighty only appear mighty
because YOU are on your knees.RISE UP.

wombat thit grates oan yie.

+Quote Post

274 Pages V  « < 265 266 267 268 269 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th Jun 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.