Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dalmarnock
GG
post 17th Mar 2007, 04:04pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Please post your memories of this Glasgow district here...Dalmarnock

Were you born here? Did you grow up here?
Did you visit your aunt here? ...or your children?
Was your first home here? Were your children born here?
Did you shop here? Was your favourite cinema here?
Did you go to church here? Was your favourite pub here?
Did you 'romance' here? Did you go to school here?
Do you have a photograph from here?

Come on let us know and immortalise your memories here...Dalmarnock

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*Dalmarnock Bhoy*
post 19th Mar 2007, 11:30pm
Post #2

Grew up in Dalmarnock Road until our house was demolished in the 70's. Fond memories of the Kitkat cafe on Springfield Road, the pawn shop, Corollas cafe on Dalmarnock Road run by an old mad woman who hardly ever opened it. Mr Fyfe the newsagent, Matty's fish shop and brogans the fruit shop. Played around the Millerfield flats, football on the black ash pitch, badminton in Springfield church hall and getting into trouble from the priest for going there.

Football of about 20 a side over the mill with all the Holmes family, there seemed to be millions of them.

Went to school at our lady of fatima primary which we got when a new school was built for the prods!

All the guys playing in the McGill band would stop at our close and belt out the tunes during June and July and we would all wave to them like mad cause some of the neighbours played drums in it.

Going to Rothesay every summer and spending six weeks during the holidays at my grans in Easterhouse in the country.

Caught kissing a girl in a close near our school and getting pulled out in front of the whole class by Bro. Robertson. Oh happy days.

+Quote Post
Rularedhead
post 6th Jul 2007, 10:37pm
Post #3

Visitor
Member No.: 3,484
I have lived in Dalmarnock all my life , went to Springy and Rivvi worked in Davidson St dyework, brought my family up in Sunnybank St, we have been loads of places in the world ( well Spain, Italy, Portugal, Australia and Saltcoats) we enjoyed every single minute of our travels but its great to get back home to Brideton/ Dalmarnock. Mc Connell's Dyework is no longer there Cheers fae an auld Nunnymoll .

+Quote Post
maycee
post 22nd Dec 2007, 04:58am
Post #4

Unpacking
Member No.: 1,636
I was "born and bred' in Strathclyde Street near the Dalmarnock Power Station. I had a wonderful life there. I went to Springfield School in Lily Street then Strathclyde and after that Riverside.

I now live in Canada, but on one of my visits back home approx. 1985 I went back to check on my old street. Bad news demolished. The nice thing was all the back courts were fields of green.
But sad to say I can't even trace my old street in the Mitchell Library. And even sadder still when I see some pictures of Glasgow I don't even recognize the place now.

Maycee

+Quote Post
petalpeeps
post 23rd Dec 2007, 12:57am
Post #5

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,923
My wee granny Borland and my aunt Margaret lived in Dalmarnock after moving from shettleston . They lived for a while in the high rise flats there , i remember the swing park you could see from the window . They lived nine flights up there ,i can also remember a wee shop just down from the flats and a bingo hall further along the road . After my gran died in 75 my aunt moved to Sunnybank street . She lived there for many years before moving to sheltered housing . She passed away a few years ago now .

+Quote Post
*john todd*
post 21st Feb 2011, 11:00am
Post #6

Lived at 78 Woddrop St from 67 till 73. Spent many a day playing on a swing under the bridge at the side of the clyde and in the old power station there, I went to Our Lady of Fatima school till it was burned down, I also spent a few years as an alter boy at the chapel. Only pals I can remember from the street was a boy called Rod Stewart and the Bloomer brothers. I can remember Corrollas Cafe and the launderette that was in Beechgrove st at Dalmornock Rd and run by a chinese man. the White Horse and the Boundry Bar pubs where I would search for my father every Friday night!! AND sadly I can also remember the gas man coming round at night to light the lanterns in the street closes.

I still stay in the east end of Glasgow and pass by the old place often.

+Quote Post
mrtimbo
post 1st Jul 2011, 05:20pm
Post #7

Unpacking
Member No.: 11,143
FAO JOHN TODD i lived in dalmarnock rd and i also remember the bloomers i went to school with there sister annmarie i also used to play under the bridge on the swing i to was an altar boy at our lady of fatima i was friends with the bannons from sunnybank street paul muir george duncan did you know any of them i had lots of friends in various streets strathclyde street beechgrove street davidson street.i used to go with my brother to the putting cant remember the street name thoug i used to play football on the black ash pitch it was known as the coup.i lived at 660 dalmarnock rd it was known as curleys close as curleys shop was at the bottom of our close.our close was across from the white horse pub my dad also drank there.

+Quote Post
Petrella
post 5th Oct 2012, 02:03pm
Post #8

Settling In
Member No.: 12,808
I wonder if anyone can remember a blacksmith's forge in mordant street behind the pend a friend argues that deliveries were still being made by horse and cart to this forge as late as the mid 30 s any info would be appreciated

+Quote Post
*GARY LEE*
post 1st Sep 2014, 11:16am
Post #9

QUOTE (mrtimbo @ 1st Jul 2011, 05:37pm) *
FAO JOHN TODD i lived in dalmarnock rd and i also remember the bloomers i went to school with there sister annmarie i also used to play under the bridge on the swing i to was an altar boy at our lady of fatima i was friends with the bannons from sunnybank street paul muir george duncan did you know any of them i had lots of friends in various streets strathclyde street beechgrove street davidson street.i used to go with my brother to the putting cant remember the street name thoug i used to play football on the black ash pitch it was known as the coup.i lived at 660 dalmarnock rd it was known as curleys close as curleys shop was at the bottom of our close.our close was across from the white horse pub my dad also drank there.

I lived at 38 Woddrop street directly below the Bloomers, I went to Springfield Road Primary from 1967 onwards then transferred to the new school. Names I remember were Jim, Derek and David Flannigan (Next Close), David & Derek Rooney, Mark McKernachan. Happy memories of the Bowlin Green, Top Hat Cafe (on Dalmarnock Road), Marions Sweet shop

+Quote Post
**Rutherglengirl**
post 23rd Jan 2018, 11:22pm
Post #10

QUOTE (Dalmarnock Bhoy @ 19th Mar 2007, 11:30pm) *
Grew up in Dalmarnock Road until our house was demolished in the 70's. Fond memories of the Kitkat cafe on Springfield Road, the pawn shop, Corollas cafe on Dalmarnock Road run by an old mad woman who hardly ever opened it. Mr Fyfe the newsagent, Matty's fish shop and brogans the fruit shop. Played around the Millerfield flats, football on the black ash pitch, badminton in Springfield church hall and getting into trouble from the priest for going there.

Football of about 20 a side over the mill with all the Holmes family, there seemed to be millions of them.

Went to school at our lady of fatima primary which we got when a new school was built for the prods!

All the guys playing in the McGill band would stop at our close and belt out the tunes during June and July and we would all wave to them like mad cause some of the neighbours played drums in it.

Going to Rothesay every summer and spending six weeks during the holidays at my grans in Easterhouse in the country.

Caught kissing a girl in a close near our school and getting pulled out in front of the whole class by Bro. Robertson. Oh happy days.

Mr J FYfe the newsagent was my great grandfather. He passed away only a couple years after retiring (would love to know what happened his shop) and before I was born. His wife Jenny my great grandmother passed away in 1980 when I was only 4 years old.

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th Jul 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.