Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

1454 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Scottish Independence, About voting yes/no
Rating 4 V
Dave Grieve
post 11th Feb 2013, 05:56am
Post #106

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
I reckon anybody voting No should be entitled to a second ballot paper where the question should be 'Do you agree Scotland should change its name to North England'
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 11th Feb 2013, 08:51am
Post #107

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,956
Scotlandshire - I have actually HEARD Americans USING this term!
Bless them.

--------------------
adversus solem ne loquitor

+Quote Post
DavidT
post 11th Feb 2013, 10:32am
Post #108

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 13,194
QUOTE (wee davy @ 11th Feb 2013, 09:08am) *
Bless them.

laugh.gif I've got a feeling that a lot of folk on here get the news from BBC Scorlandshire. Och Aye The News...
http://www.bbc.scotlandshire.co.uk/

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 11th Feb 2013, 11:06pm
Post #109

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (Dave Grieve @ 11th Feb 2013, 06:13am) *
I reckon anybody voting No should be entitled to a second ballot paper where the question should be 'Do you agree Scotland should change its name to North England'

Sadly Dave there are a few on here who will be voting NO who wouldn't care if we were called North England, who in the past and in the here and now are quite happy to turn a blind eye to things like "England won the war", "The Prime Minister of England", Anglo/French/German etc relations, or the most recent "the trains will travel from London to the North of the country (Leeds 260 Miles from South coast - 494 Miles to the North coast) these are the people who are quite happy to live in a minor English region, they will never change their minds no matter what facts are put in front of them, no matter how better of they would be they will never let go of their masters apron strings.

I'm only interested in convincing the fence sitters, the don't knows, who can be convinced of facts and reason, it can be done.

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 11th Feb 2013, 11:07pm
Post #110

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (wee davy @ 11th Feb 2013, 09:08am) *
Bless them.

I've actually HEARD the English USING this term yes.gif

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 12th Feb 2013, 10:45am
Post #111

Mega City Key Holder
Actually the Yanks were probably right, when you read this from yesterdays UK governments it seems Scotland ceased to exist and we were just incorporated into a larger England.

Taken from yesterdays document #35

as a matter of international law England continued, albeit under a new name and regardless of the position in domestic law, and was simply enlarged to incorporate Scotland

Perhaps some of our No campaigners could explain how this information was kept from us for over 300 years and do they still claim we live in an equal union?

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 12th Feb 2013, 10:56am
Post #112

Mega City Key Holder
smile.gif
thought somebody else might spot that one

Wonder how come Lanark'shire' came about?

--------------------

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 12th Feb 2013, 11:54am
Post #113

Mega City Key Holder
All down to David I (often considered the 1st King of Alba), it would appear
(If you believe contemperary English historical reports)

Due to the fact he only assumed the title of Scottish King, under the protection of Henry I of England. (With whom he paid homage, until the death of his brother, Alexander I)
Henry was the first to utilise this commonly method of identifying counties.

SO YER' AWE ENGLISH SINCE 1124 LOL

--------------------

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 12th Feb 2013, 12:10pm
Post #114

Mega City Key Holder
From today's Herald.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/ref...n=email%2Balert

How can the creation of thousands of jobs in Scotland be reported as a bad thing?

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 12th Feb 2013, 12:37pm
Post #115

Mega City Key Holder
But you just dont get it, jagz - Westminster provide all these magnificent jobs down there - for SCOTLAND. So,... you should sit back and thank oh Great and Benevolent Britain, for saving you the trouble!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 12th Feb 2013, 01:17pm
Post #116

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 12th Feb 2013, 01:27pm) *
From today's Herald.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/ref...n=email%2Balert

How can the creation of thousands of jobs in Scotland be reported as a bad thing?

When
the American colonies
Canada
Australia
New Zealand
Rhodesia
Kenya
South Africa
India

and countless other countries became independent or self governing they had to set up goverment departments that had previously been run for their benifit by Westminster.
The all succeeded despite having to go it alone and provide new jobs for their own people.

Just think, a Scottish company will be forced to print documents for a Scottish Goverment, a Scottish company will have to deliver those documents.
A Scottish Goverment will have to set up Scottish goverment offices staffed by Scots people living in Scotland.
The magnanimous Westminster goverment will no longer have to employ anybody in the London area to do anything in connection with Scotland, think of the money they will save on salaries, however it could be tempered by an increase in benifits to people living in the London area who were previously employed looking after those lazy Scots gits that dont want to work.

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 12th Feb 2013, 01:33pm
Post #117

Mega City Key Holder
Of course wee davy and Dave are both correct, i just don't understand how the Tory led No campaigners are trying to portray these things as negative, most of what they have highlighted in this first document acknowledges what the SNP have been saying for years, i just hope the other twelve documents they release will be as pro independence as this one.

If i didn't know better i would say that David Cameron really does want shot of us laugh.gif

How about it unionists, am i mistaken?

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 12th Feb 2013, 01:51pm
Post #118

Mega City Key Holder
I'm really glad they've decided to take part though.
I have heard many's a Scot interviewed, asking 'what's it all about' - I just dont know enough about it.
Expressing their abject fear of the consequences of fully managing they're own affairs. Rightly so. Its a big step of faith.

Well, at long last, ALL will be revealed.

--------------------

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 12th Feb 2013, 05:09pm
Post #119

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (wee davy @ 12th Feb 2013, 02:08pm) *
I have heard many's a Scot interviewed, asking 'what's it all about' - I just dont know enough about it.

A lot of the people that i come across who ask this question whether personally or in online newspaper comments claim they don't know enough but ask the same "What about the EU/Currency/Defence/Lost shipyard jobs/ETC ETC, questions, no matter how many times you answer their questions their back the next week asking the self same questions.

Its a well known delaying tactic, convincing someone who is genuinely interested but undecided can be done, convincing someone who has already made their mind up is impossible.

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 13th Feb 2013, 12:24am
Post #120

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,412
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 10th Feb 2013, 01:04pm) *
I don't have any facts as i haven't researched the subject Danny, but i would have thought the majority of living Scots would be descended from Scots living around the time of the Union of the Crowns (1603) and i would dispute your claim that the majority of the population are of Irish decent.

I have traced both sides of my family tree back to the mid 1600's and my surname originates from the Central belt where West Lothian is now, but it matters not where anyone originally comes from, there could be someone living in Nigeria at this moment who will move here next week and will be eligible to vote, that's the way democracy works.

I doubt the if USA worry about their elections being decided by the descendants of immigrants :lol:

Hello again my old friend, JAGZ1876

Thanks for responding to my input to this topic. I always get a well thought out non-vindictive reply from you to my posts, which I appreciate.

In retrospect I think I probably wote my contribution with a bit of 'tongue in cheek', but with a certain amount of real concern - more of that later.

Anyway, If you look at my first paragraph again, you will note that both sentences end with question marks. I was not making a definitive statement.

Regarding the descendents of the Irish population, I should have said that they represent a significant number of voters on this issue, residing in the Central belt of Scotland.

Regarding your comment that that anyone who is a resident of this country, no matter what their origin is, you will see that I said that the Asian population of this country are entitled to take part in this vote. I have no objection to that. All I am putting forward is the premis that in say 100, years from now, the Asian population could be the majority in Scotland. I may be wrong but I think that is what has happened in Fiji.

Regards to All

Danny Harris

+Quote Post

1454 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Jan 2020

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.