Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Whit Toonhied Had That No Possils Had.., Parly Road!
sumac
post 26th Nov 2019, 09:28am
Post #46

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 3,359
Hi, guys! It’s been a l-o-n-g time since I was on the Boards. Sorry about that. Major health problems. Anyway, I was investigating Black Street Clinic on Google and up came this page.
Before you throw your hands up at the brazen hussy flaunting her frequent use of The Clinic, I have to point out this was the days of rampant TB, lung disorders, all that stuff (the 50s) in Glasgow. Mum explained when I was older that Black Street was a main clinic for TB, etc. but I always meant to check this up. My first memories of attending the clinic was when I was very young - I was 2, Mum told me. I had a lumbar puncture the horror of which I will be haunted forever.
I was fascinated by the mention of Rattray’s. It was in McAuslan Street, round the corner from my Auntie in Taylor Street and on my everyday walk to and from St David’s Primary in St James’ Road. One day, on my way to school after my lunch, the Rattray’s men were having a game of footie in the street and didn’t even stop for a wee 8 or 9 year old. The heavy football was given a right hard kick, hit me full in the face, knocked me clean off my feet and broke my nose. I ran to Auntie’s, poring and covered with blood.
Rab, I think we mentioned years ago that we must have been brought up in the very same area of Toonheid. smile.gif

--------------------
Ah don't hear sae well withoot ma specs
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 26th Nov 2019, 01:20pm
Post #47

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
Nice to see your post Sumac thumbup.gif

When I was just about old enough, I went out with a girl from your bit of the world. I couldn't understand why my pals were giving me funny looks when i told them she lived in Black Street blush.gif

I'm not sure if you comment was to Rab or Rabbie. Unfortunately Rabbie passed several years ago.

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 30th Nov 2019, 08:30pm
Post #48

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
Dont think the Black st Clinic is the one your talking about Sumac. The 'Clinic' was 67 Black st. Reason I know is because I lived at 66.
The TB, Bronchitis clinic was at the top of Black st with the main entrance on Baird st.
Incidentally the new building that was built after the TB clinic was demolished, has a very similar look to it.

+Quote Post
sumac
post 2nd Dec 2019, 04:19pm
Post #49

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 3,359
Ah, thanks, Dave. I'm glad to hear I wasn't seen going into the STD clinic from the tender age of about 2!!!

--------------------
Ah don't hear sae well withoot ma specs

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th Dec 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.