Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

13 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Scotland Gets 50p-per-unit Alcohol Price, Minimum unit pricing of alcohol from next year
john.mcn
post 14th May 2012, 09:02pm
Post #46

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,545
Health levvy, lmao. How about working with the supermarkets to promote a healthy lifestyle and lower prices on fruit and veg.Taxing them more and more will just make them weary of opening stores and creating jobs. Profit is not a dirty word!

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
frame
post 14th May 2012, 10:12pm
Post #47

Super Visitor
Member No.: 2,486
QUOTE (Guest @ 14th May 2012, 09:18pm) *
I think this is fantastic news. Why should I, as a tax payer, plough a fortune into the treatment of those who choose to abuse alcohol? Or why should I be afraid to walk down a city centre street of an evening because of tanked-up neds who are out of their minds on cheap swally?

Fair point. Although, I can't see either of those scenereos slowing down anytime soon.
It's a well known fact that no matter how tough things get, the street jerkoffs always find a way to fill the tank and then get nasty.
What's that tired old saying? I think it goes something like, "By hook or by crook".

As long as they don't bring in prohibition I think I can just about make it.
Here's looking at you kid.

--------------------
speed bonny boat

+Quote Post
lenmar123
post 14th May 2012, 10:24pm
Post #48

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,644
Well the old ladies who want a game of bridge or a chat with a bottle of wine are to be penalised No promotions for Joe Soap or anybody else -----and yet in the house of commons with its seven bars you get a glass of wine and the barman then asks you if you would like a TOP UP ---well theres a thing ive never had that in a club or pub And seven pubs at your work ---no wonder fights break out

+Quote Post
GG
post 14th May 2012, 10:52pm
Post #49

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
QUOTE (GG @ 13th May 2012, 10:04pm) *
... Minimum pricing has been promoted by health campaigners, while the SNP government claims that alcohol abuse is a "brake on Scotland's social and economic growth". ...

Quoting myself ... what's the world coming to!?!

Anyway, has anyone been able to work out how those who purchase copious amounts of cheap vodka, lager or cider – i.e. the only ones whom the new pricing policy will affect, according to the pundits on the telly – are somehow curtailing the "economic growth" of Scotland?

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
GG
post 14th May 2012, 11:05pm
Post #50

Administrator
Group Icon
I just checked ... and I think the minimum pricing policy is actually going to have a bigger impact than has been told in the media. Here's how:

Last week I bought 12 bottles of Miller lager for £7 from the local supermarket – don't worry, most are still in the box. Quick division shows that the price of each bottle worked out at 59p. When I looked on the bottle I found that each one has an alcohol unit value of 1.6; this means that, under the new minimum pricing, a bottle will not sell below 80p. Therefore, that £7 will need to rise to almost £10 to keep to the new pricing policy! sad.gif

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 14th May 2012, 11:21pm
Post #51

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,545
Thats what you get for drinking p**h beer laugh.gif cool.gif

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
nan mcdonald
post 14th May 2012, 11:32pm
Post #52

Settling In
Member No.: 7,703
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 14th May 2012, 08:04pm) *
Nan you cant be serious.
rolleyes.gif

Many Moons ago when I was Young. I never saw Teenagers legless on the streets of Glasgow.

Probably because it was not so obtainable .

+Quote Post
wombat
post 14th May 2012, 11:41pm
Post #53

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,196
yes.gif yie wurny lookin very hard,aw us teenagers used tae get scrumpy cider oot the backdoor of a certain pub in a used beer bottle furra tanner 1960s thumbup.gif

--------------------
the mighty only appear mighty
because YOU are on your knees.RISE UP.

wombat thit grates oan yie.

+Quote Post
droschke7
post 15th May 2012, 01:23am
Post #54

Lord Provost
Member No.: 128
QUOTE (GG @ 14th May 2012, 11:50pm) *
Quoting myself ... what's the world coming to!?!

Anyway, has anyone been able to work out how those who purchase copious amounts of cheap vodka, lager or cider – i.e. the only ones whom the new pricing policy will affect, according to the pundits on the telly – are somehow curtailing the "economic growth" of Scotland?

GG.

Quoting yourself GG? Have you been on the Sauce? LOL

+Quote Post
wombat
post 15th May 2012, 01:42am
Post #55

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,196
thumbup.gif passin the buckie yes.gif

--------------------
the mighty only appear mighty
because YOU are on your knees.RISE UP.

wombat thit grates oan yie.

+Quote Post
pumps100
post 15th May 2012, 07:37am
Post #56

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,333
QUOTE (GG @ 15th May 2012, 12:03am) *
I just checked ... and I think the minimum pricing policy is actually going to have a bigger impact than has been told in the media. Here's how:

Last week I bought 12 bottles of Miller lager for £7 from the local supermarket – don't worry, most are still in the box. Quick division shows that the price of each bottle worked out at 59p. When I looked on the bottle I found that each one has an alcohol unit value of 1.6; this means that, under the new minimum pricing, a bottle will not sell below 80p. Therefore, that £7 will need to rise to almost £10 to keep to the new pricing policy! sad.gif

GG.

Can you please tell us the name and address of the supermarket as this seems an astonishingly good deal. You're not buying any of this stuff ex back of a van from Calais are you?

I bought 12 cans of Heineken last week from Sainsbury for £8 and I thought I got a really good deal.

Each can 330 ml @ 5% ABV. The calculation to get units is quite simple - Quantity in ml X ABV /1000.

So in my case each can of the green nectar was 330 X 5 /1000 = 1.65 units. 12 cans in the box so 12 X 1,65 = 19.8 units, At 50p a unit the minimum price would be £9.90 but at 45p it would be £8.91.

I gave duff information recently about the cost of Frosty Jacks white cider - I saw it on offer for only £2.59 for 3 litres (I thought is was £3.15). Your 12 cans of Miller has a total of 19.2 units for your £7 - whereas you get a whopping 22.5 units of alcohol from Frosty Jack for only £2.59 - some deal, eh?

Anyway, dare I say it - its not very patriotic of you to be drinking Miller - surely Tennents would be more appropriate. And at 4% ABV you'd be fine at 50p a unit provided as long as you don't pay over the odds (£3.52 for 4 cans of 440ml).

Regards

Ian

+Quote Post
GG
post 15th May 2012, 07:47am
Post #57

Administrator
Group Icon
Hi Ian,

Info about the deal is here ... apparently it wasn't available outside Scotland!

There's a good article in the Herald today (I'll read later), but looks like it is about the knock-on effect of differential pricing strategies, which are pursued by companies to use price to send messages about their product to consumers. Basically, if cheap drink goes up in price, then 'better' brands will be forced "strategically" to raise their prices.

Stephen Doyle, a Glasgow academic, said:
"There will be a shift in price but it won't be reactive. It will have to be strategic. It's a dilemma because, on one hand, manufacturers have the opportunity to increase their market share with customers migrating upwards.

But, at the same time, these brands need to be clear about why they are better and their product is distinctive.

When prices go up at the bottom they also increase further up."

So, looks like prices will rise for alcohol right across the board.

Warning on hidden impact of new alcohol pricing law
http://www.heraldscotland.com/mobile/polit...ng-law.17547553

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 15th May 2012, 07:50am
Post #58

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
So drinking Heineken is more patriotic than drinking Miller ???? Mind you, anything is preferable to Tennent's "lager". The only thing that Embra does better than Glesca is make beer.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
pumps100
post 15th May 2012, 09:04am
Post #59

Super City Key Holder
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 15th May 2012, 08:48am) *
So drinking Heineken is more patriotic than drinking Miller ???? Mind you, anything is preferable to Tennent's "lager". The only thing that Embra does better than Glesca is make beer.

When in Rome (or Glasgow).

But in your case it'll be probably Estrella or a pint of Ribero del Duero!

All the best

Ian

+Quote Post
pumps100
post 15th May 2012, 09:10am
Post #60

Super City Key Holder
QUOTE (GG @ 15th May 2012, 08:45am) *
Hi Ian,

Info about the deal is here ... apparently it wasn't available outside Scotland!

You are to be commended for ferretting out such an exceptional deal and only available in Scotland. About as rare as hens teeth. Well done.

I think it is limited to only six cases per customer (115.2 units).

Best regards

Ian

+Quote Post

13 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.