Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

22 Pages V  « < 18 19 20 21 22 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Glasgow Residential Schools, Did you go to any?
*Tally Rand*
post 4th Sep 2014, 02:39am
Post #286

QUOTE (onlyabhoy @ 30th Aug 2014, 02:54pm) *
Hi I remember the school at the top off the Hill I remember going to play football and going to Chapel by bus on the Sunday, Yes I also wont forget going down to the girls school as I had my eye on a girl from the Kinning Park Area. A few years later I had a weekend job in that area and would always look out the window off the van in the hope I would see her. Yeah that wee teacher was a little poisoned Dwarf cant remember her name and the male teacher had grey hair and glasses and also wore a sort off Tweed jacket with leather patches on the elbow. I remember going down to Ascog and a visit to Kiltcatten Bay and Rothsay Castle. Yes great memories indeed.

The Gurls school wis up the hill and wis approached by a windin' ramp. I think the fitba' fields wis up the hll as weel.

Us yins wis went frae St. Anthony's of Guvin, an' a lot o' ma mates went wi me. We didnae go fur punishment as it wis a "fresh air fortnite" fur weans wha' only seen green stuff in the Elderpawnpark. Us yins spent mair than a month there. It wis awrite, bit a wis gled tae get hame.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*Plant Street poor b*
post 22nd Sep 2014, 09:08pm
Post #287

QUOTE (grangebear @ 21st Apr 2010, 11:30pm) *
In my time I attended 2 Glasgow residential schools. First was Castle Toward, near Dunoon and then at Galloway House, near Garlieston, Dumfries and Galloway. I really had a great time at both of them though I remember Castle Toward was a lot more regimented and orderly compared to Galloway House. I don't really recall any bad experiences for me despite the discipline but I think that they did me the world of good learning new things and to become more independent. I think its sad they had to go but I guess in the modern world most kids are whisked off to the Costa del Sol or skiing so I guess they have had their day.
Galloway House is now a privately owned estate going strong (probably bought at a knock down price from the old Glasgow Corp). I was down there a few years ago and you can take a walk around the grounds. I would have loved a tour of the house. Castle Toward still manages.... just ...... to survive as an outdoor education centre for school children. I was amazed to see that the guy running the company managing Toward was a PE teacher at my former Glasgow secondary, Colston.
Coming across this forum made me think its really sad there seems to be very little documentation of these Glasgow residential schools. You would think there would be an archive somewhere with lots of pictures etc.... does anyone have any info?

+Quote Post
*rosie61*
post 8th Oct 2014, 07:29pm
Post #288

QUOTE (carol reid @ 3rd Mar 2010, 09:52pm) *
went to fornethy residential school with younger sister late 60's early 70's wiz a nitemare mrs fletcher an her cruel staff should be horse wipped an stoney brae wiz the worst walk ever

hi carol reid, i was also at fornethy i think around the same time as yourself, god i remember mrs fletcher, cruel old witch, and mrs holland, cruel old bitch....remember the long walks to the waterfalls, we were well fed, but was freezing at night...my dormitory was called reekie lynn...still remember it, thinking of going a drive up just to see the place....some happy memories, some not so happy....

+Quote Post
**Petunia**
post 9th Oct 2014, 01:15pm
Post #289

I don't remember much about it but I was at a residential school in Ascog, Rothesay so was my sister I think it was up a hill, I remember that was the first time I had seen the foxglove flower it was purple and thought it was lovely the other thing I remember was the cook if you asked her what was for dinner she used to say "bees knees and chickens elbows" Don't think it was too bad but was glad to get home.

+Quote Post
Alex MacPhee
post 12th Oct 2014, 05:17pm
Post #290

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,183
QUOTE (onlyabhoy @ 30th Aug 2014, 03:54pm) *
Hi I remember the school at the top off the Hill I remember going to play football and going to Chapel by bus on the Sunday, Yes I also wont forget going down to the girls school as I had my eye on a girl from the Kinning Park Area.

Only just seen this, or I'd have replied earlier. Can you remember the year that you went to Stevenston residential school at Ascog? I think my stay there would have been around 1964, give or take a year. I remember one girl there, called Marie Speirs, bonny lass, I had a crush on her. I have good memories of the place, too, and it seems to have been quite different from some of the other residential schools that people report terrible experiences with.

--------------------
Alex

+Quote Post
Brianjardine
post 15th Nov 2014, 06:18pm
Post #291

Settling In
Member No.: 27,083
In 1969 I was at Cadder Primary and went to Galloway House for three
weeks.It was great.1st time away from . thumbup.gif for a wee 11 year old,
what an adventure,even playing football in a sheep field.Still got my
diary.I shared a dorm with John Owens,Bobby Marshall,Alan Hope and
1 other whose name escapes me.

--------------------
You can take the boy out of Glasgow.......

+Quote Post
*Tally Rand*
post 26th Nov 2014, 10:15pm
Post #292

QUOTE (Alex MacPhee @ 12th Oct 2014, 05:34pm) *
Only just seen this, or I'd have replied earlier. Can you remember the year that you went to Stevenston residential school at Ascog? I think my stay there would have been around 1964, give or take a year. I remember one girl there, called Marie Speirs, bonny lass, I had a crush on her. I have good memories of the place, too, and it seems to have been quite different from some of the other residential schools that people report terrible experiences with.

Keep in mind Alex the "Agnes Patrick Residential School" was a place of reward rather than punishment. We called it in those days a "fresh air fortnight" The kids who went had to have established good behaviour at their schools before being allowed to go there. As a result there was no harsh regime to contend with. Naturally some kids would have found it disconcerting, but I have no great negative feelings about the establishment.

+Quote Post
Alex MacPhee
post 26th Nov 2014, 11:01pm
Post #293

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Tally Rand @ 26th Nov 2014, 10:32pm) *
e "Agnes Patrick Residential School" was a place of reward rather than punishment. We called it in those days a "fresh air fortnight" The kids who went had to have established good behaviour at their schools before being allowed to go there. As a result there was no harsh regime to contend with. Naturally some kids would have found it disconcerting, but I have no great negative feelings about the establishment.

You are absolutely right. I wasn't aware of the conditions for getting there, but the regime was far from harsh (I read with astonishment of the harsh regimes are other residential schools in this thread), and my memories of Agnes Patrick/Stevenson are entirely happy. I was supposed to be there for six weeks, but pressure on places reduced it to four. Yet it has stayed in my mind for this last fifty years.

We were taught to dance there, and I danced at the end-of-term ball with a young lass called Marie Spiers. How I'd love to get in touch with her again!

--------------------
Alex

+Quote Post
*Tally Rand*
post 2nd Dec 2014, 11:27am
Post #294

QUOTE (Alex MacPhee @ 26th Nov 2014, 11:18pm) *
You are absolutely right. I wasn't aware of the conditions for getting there, but the regime was far from harsh (I read with astonishment of the harsh regimes are other residential schools in this thread), and my memories of Agnes Patrick/Stevenson are entirely happy. I was supposed to be there for six weeks, but pressure on places reduced it to four. Yet it has stayed in my mind for this last fifty years.

We were taught to dance there, and I danced at the end-of-term ball with a young lass called Marie Spiers. How I'd love to get in touch with her again!

The Dancing drove me nuts. I used to perform the Dashing White Sargent in my dreams for years afterwards. So there was a negative aspect to my stay there.

+Quote Post
*elizabeth smyth*
post 23rd Mar 2015, 10:52am
Post #295

I remember the name of my dorm was Pouton!

+Quote Post
*Sheena Christie*
post 9th Apr 2015, 08:06am
Post #296

I went to maybole residential school around 1970 with my two older sisters, I was about 7 years old and I didn't care for it. There was a teacher/carer named Mrs McNeil and I was a target for her. She would come in to the dorms at night and say goodnight, if you replied, which I did, you got placed on a bench in the dark hallway till she saw fit to let you back into bed. At one point she smacked me across the hand with her spectacle case for giggling during some singing. Bare in mind how young I was! Sad people like that spoil what could have been a good thing. I also went to Agnes Patrick in Rothesay around 1975 with my sister my twin brother and my best friend Caroline. What a different experience! It was regimented but it was a lot of fun too. The head carer was Mrs Wilkie and although firm, she was a nice person. I loved tuck time and of course mail time when I would get a postal order and a comic, the Bunty. smile.gif

+Quote Post
*Roma Ohara hargan*
post 17th Sep 2015, 08:34pm
Post #297

Hi I know this is a lot of years later since you all spoke about fornethy I agree they should be sued if everyone United & it Glasgow council who would be sued I went 4 years in a row there & remember everything I was age 7 first time I went 1975 it was my birthday I was 8 the month February which wasn't a holiday so those saying they went for a summer holiday that wasn't the case it 4 always 4 weeks everyone went for you got the coach from a school up near the barras I'm now 47 I came from possilpark now live in Blackpool I was in dorm reekalyne first time I went the dorm foster was next to mine I got made to stand in the cold bathroom outside those to dorms in my nighty they didn't let you wear nickers or slippers I remember a teacher picking me up of a freezing cold floor fast asleep I had been left in there for about 5 hours age 7 I'm sure it was that bastard Mrs Robinson who put me in there left me all that time after that it happened on a regular basis but it was the cold creepy library I'd be put for the 4 yrs after that told to stand in front of an old Coal fire that wouldn't be on there for hours it was only in primary school we got sent there no one I know went during secondary school also everyone only went during school time I went 1976, 77, 78, & 79 think the staff there thought I was a regular they all new me well & didn't forget me for every punch slap & stand in that library I rebelled I gave them something to be hit for after that yes I suffered but I know I done their nuts right in glad I did. Head mistress goofy cow her & her dog that looked like her even the dog had goofy teeth Mrs fletcher her dog was called Kirsty then that old shit Mrs Locky Mrs Robinson & one was miss McMinn she got married can't remember her married name it wasn't a waterfall we walked to it was dundees Damm Robinson would walk us there 3 & half mile there & back so 7 miles we had to to my first time I was 7 but there was wee one age 5 how many mothers out there can say their kid was happy to go on a 7 mile walk at that age so you can imagine how many kids complained & ended up way wellie rashes & for complaining you got a massive desert spoon of castor oil I hated boiled egg just could eat eggs they new it so every time I saw boiled eggs for breakfast when you lined up to go in the dining room I new I would be sat in there for hours on my own cause I wouldn't eat them or I was sick when they were forcing it down my throat on some days they would say hands up who wants extra those who liked them put their hands up and no matter what teacher was there each one would keep one for me & say you like boiled eggs don't you rona sitting there crying in front of about 80 girls every student knew it the ones that were there the month & years I went some would past on to each other who where at the front of the que to me at the back letting me know it was boiled eggs I'd be crying before I got in the dining room also that ment I didn't have to que up for the tuck shop cause I knew I wasn't getting any for not eating boiled eggs some evening same again it would be boiled egg & cheese sauce this would be about 4.30-5 o'clock as for me I'd be sat on my own in that dining room till it was bedtime someone would come & get me as they were passing to go to the upstairs dorms the names of the upstairs dorms was Esk, ogol, prosen, clover, & Isla that's the dorm Isla where everyone would say that's where those old lady's where buried the old ladies they were referring to was to two old lady's photos that hang on the wall in that library above the fire place & actualy in that dorm was to big in shots at one end of the dorm were they had been said to of been buried freaked you out & the odd thing would happen out the blue from that dorm I can't remember what they were now. I remember stony brae ok going down those big boulders & torcher walking back up that tested all us if you complained about something they never forgot & each teacher would tell the other Locky grabbed me by the ears nearly every day or slapped your bare legs skipping to yellow river, & I've got a brand new harvester il give you the key haha they song haunt me the kid on wishing stones on top of a mountain we had to climb to get to them we all had to take hands circle round the stones & sing ahone ahone ahone I wish apon a stone tell it to nun true it will come ahone ahone ahone then everyone had to touch a stone & make a wish they never came true everyone wished for their mammy & to go home nobody went so the wishes were Nonsense excuse to walk us up that far. The two fat lady's that washed us stood naked in a line their names were connie blonde headed woman massive fat one didn't speak hands rough as washing you way carbolic soap her name was Maggie her rough hands I don't me rough handling us I mean she never had soft hands I hated her touching my feet in the dining room one member of staff that waited on us she was fat ugly gocky one eye went to the shop other came back way the change she always came round carrying that big teapot I had to miss out on loads of things because of boiled eggs I wasn't aloud sweets or I had to stand outside the play room while everyone dances or played musical bumps sang songs I didn't get to join in on whatever the activity would be on boiled egg days & im sure it was a Saturday evening it would be boiled eggs & cheese sauce so I would get to sit in the play room on our wee row of chairs in our pyjamas & eating sweets but when I got sent to the medical room they called if just of the cloak room for a dose of castor oil sometimes double dose if I brought the first dose up I'd keep it in my mouth when I got to the clock room who ever the teacher was that day who took us a walk I use to sit the castor oil into their wellies they staff in there should of been taken to court n punished they're probably dead now but if one is alive I hope your named & shamed even if you were in your 80 wouldn't dream of hitting an old woman but anyone of them I'd knock her own no matter what age they were & id do time but you know what it would of been worth it the chance any of them alive probably zilch so everyone Glasgow board of council that's who we have to fight me I'm up for it I'd love to hear a lot of people feel the same some kids went there timid after 4 week they were different & fiery they staff took our personality & trust from us people wonder why there was a lot of angry agressive kids grown up I bet if asked at that time had they ever been to fornethy residential school they would of said yes it was an all girls ressi that's why you here some people say that wee lassie she use to be nice but it's like she changed over night yes that's true but it was over 4 weeks so one mentioned there should be a movie about this yes I agree as it would be based on a true story & true events sorry to anyone who feels they disagree with what I say all I can say to that is you must of been one of the lucky ones because not to know all I've said you must of been a teachers pet or just pure lucky but I think there is hundreds of woman out there who would agree with me I would love to hear feed back on my quote lady's thank you all & I am Rona from possilpark.

+Quote Post
*Lydia Bhinn*
post 19th Sep 2015, 11:27am
Post #298

Jasus an here's me thinkin twas yon bloke Joyce frae Finnigins Wake! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Alex MacPhee
post 19th Sep 2015, 02:21pm
Post #299

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Roma Ohara hargan @ 17th Sep 2015, 09:42pm) *
some kids went there timid after 4 week they were different & fiery they staff took our personality & trust from us

Engrossing. You obviously have such unhappy memories of that time, that have stayed with you all these years, and get triggered by the smallest things decades later, like looking at boiled eggs. I don't doubt for a moment that your experience was as horrible as you describe. I know there were some nasty, vindictive people in these residential schools who should never have been allowed near children, and you wonder, reading your account of being lined up to be washed naked with carbolic soap, if these women ever had any children of their own.

I've realised, from reading your story and that of others in this thread, how fortunate I was in the short time I spent in a residential school, the Agnes Patrick/Stevenson school at Ascog, in Rothesay. There was one teacher I didn't like, a crabbit wee man called Mr Christie, but the others were decent people, and there was no mistreatment of the kind that went on in other places.

I suppose many of these teachers and resi school staff will have passed away by now, but that shouldn't stop people telling their stories and at least getting them acknowledged.

I bet there's a good TV play to be written on these memories and stories.

--------------------
Alex

+Quote Post
ceaderbhoy
post 10th Oct 2015, 07:09pm
Post #300

Unpacking
Member No.: 25,959
any one remember this place, agnes patrick stevenson school, ascog bute.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post

22 Pages V  « < 18 19 20 21 22 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th Dec 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.