Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Winterfest Out... Christmas In, Name change for festive programme
Heather
post 12th Jan 2010, 03:32pm
Post #61

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Actually Weemagreegur, the Councils right across Britain have tried to wipe out the name 'Easter.'

Three years ago they changed the School Easter Holidays and re-named it the 'Spring Holiday'.
It's now co-incidence if the School Spring Holiday falls as Easter time.
They give Easter Monday off, so far.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Alex MacPhee
post 12th Jan 2010, 03:45pm
Post #62

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,183
QUOTE (Heather @ 12th Jan 2010, 03:30pm) *
Three years ago they changed the School Easter Holidays and re-named it the 'Spring Holiday'.

I make a point of not using any of these 'neutral' expressions, nor that other neutral abbreviation being used in place of AD for dates, 'CE' [Current Era], nor do I use 'BCE' [Before Current Era] in place of BC. I get annoyed enough to score out 'Forename' and put 'Christian name' on forms.

--------------------
Alex

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 12th Jan 2010, 04:23pm
Post #63

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
QUOTE (Alex MacPhee @ 12th Jan 2010, 04:43pm) *
I make a point of not using any of these 'neutral' expressions, nor that other neutral abbreviation being used in place of AD for dates, 'CE' [Current Era], nor do I use 'BCE' [Before Current Era] in place of BC. I get annoyed enough to score out 'Forename' and put 'Christian name' on forms.

In (communist) East Germany, before the fall of the wall BC was referred to as as vor unsere Zeit :before our time (reckoning) and AD was nach unsere Zeit: after our time (reckoning).
Perhaps the remnants of communism exist in the nooks and crannies of New Labour Councils and government thinking.
Although I have nothing against the use of the term "Christian Name" I am used to "Forename" on forms and see nothing wrong with that either.

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
murn
post 12th Jan 2010, 04:52pm
Post #64

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,825
QUOTE (Alex MacPhee @ 12th Jan 2010, 10:43am) *

Must say I have never saw these "neutral expressions" but totally agree, would never use them. But I do see why they would put Forename on forms, after all, not all people have been Christened.

+Quote Post
weemagreegur
post 12th Jan 2010, 05:05pm
Post #65

Special Visitor
Member No.: 4,397
So eliminating the word Easter coodny be construed as an anti-christian move, then, since Easter wis aroon long afore the belief aboot Christ risin, wis it no? Jist wondered how come the christians didny chinge the name, as they did wi the winter celebrations. Mibbe they met wi the same resistance christians ur showin noo tae name chinges. Wonder whit they wid've called it, if they hid got away wi it? The Redemption? The Rebirth? The Reprieve? Och, nae wonder they kept the auld pagan name, it's much neater than the ithers!

So, if we get enough druids or picts or whitevers tae constitute a majority, kin they name aw the festivals?

+Quote Post
Alex MacPhee
post 12th Jan 2010, 05:26pm
Post #66

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 12th Jan 2010, 04:21pm) *
Although I have nothing against the use of the term "Christian Name" I am used to "Forename" on forms and see nothing wrong with that either.

Uh, believe it or not, I think I've been afflicted by a brain fart. What came out of my fingers was 'Forename', but what was in my head, and meant to come out on the keyboard, was 'Pre-name'. I didn't even know such a word existed, until I saw it on a form. I guessed someone had taken the French 'prenom' and tried to Anglicise it, but it horrible enough to me to score it out when I see it!

--------------------
Alex

+Quote Post
Alex MacPhee
post 12th Jan 2010, 05:36pm
Post #67

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (weemagreegur @ 12th Jan 2010, 05:03pm) *
So eliminating the word Easter coodny be construed as an anti-christian move

I think it certainly could and would. Easter is tied to the Jewish Passover, and the association is far stronger than the admittedly more fanciful association between Christmas and the winter solstice. It is the primary Christian event, and nothing in the Christian liturgical calender comes anywhere close to it in significance and importance.

So, if we get enough druids or picts or whitevers tae constitute a majority, kin they name aw the festivals?

They could call them what they liked ; though it's worth remembering that those who pass themselves off as druids and wander about Stonehenge as if there's an ancient historical and religious link between them have nothing whatsoever to do with the original druids, and are nothing more than a fanciful modern invention, like witchcraft and 'wicca'.

--------------------
Alex

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 12th Jan 2010, 07:06pm
Post #68

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Alex MacPhee @ 12th Jan 2010, 06:24pm) *
Uh, believe it or not, I think I've been afflicted by a brain fart. What came out of my fingers was 'Forename', but what was in my head, and meant to come out on the keyboard, was 'Pre-name'. I didn't even know such a word existed, until I saw it on a form. I guessed someone had taken the French 'prenom' and tried to Anglicise it, but it horrible enough to me to score it out when I see it!

Bejasus, Alex, is it nor your good self who has the way wit' the words tongue.gif

I have heard mention of this pre-name adaption and on reflection could only imagine the Aaaahs and Ohhhs, or similar grunts, of a father in the split seconds preceding (or pre-seeding) conception. rolleyes.gif

Signed: A.O. HeeHee

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”

+Quote Post
Alex MacPhee
post 12th Jan 2010, 08:14pm
Post #69

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 12th Jan 2010, 07:04pm) *
I have heard mention of this pre-name adaption and on reflection could only imagine the Aaaahs and Ohhhs, or similar grunts, of a father in the split seconds preceding (or pre-seeding) conception.

It might seem irrational, but I have a 'thing' about the use of the prefix 'pre-' ; in nearly every case, its use is completely pointless, because its sense is already contained in the word it prefixes. Examples are 'pre-plan' (what other time can you plan?), 'pre-warn' (when else would you warn?), 'pre-book' (can you book something any other time?), 'pre-order' (is that something that happens before you place the order?). What is the difference between sliced bread and pre-sliced bread? I see a word like 'pre-name' and wonder if it's something that sits in front of a name, like 'Mr' or 'Mrs'.

Like I said, it may seem irrational, but I suppose everyone needs something to occupy his spare time when he might otherwise be pre-occupied pulling the wings off flies.

--------------------
Alex

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 12th Jan 2010, 10:23pm
Post #70

Mega City Key Holder
laugh.gif laugh.gif as one says here.

--------------------

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.