Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> French Ban On Muslim Headscarves, What do you think?
AmazingGrace
post 4th Sep 2004, 08:34am
Post #16

Super Resident
Member No.: 1,029
Steakpie, Islam is not all bad like all religions, there is good and bad. If you walked along the streets in Kuala Lumpur you could see young girls/women wearing headscarves with spray on jeans and designer label tops and no one bothered them. On Fridays their holy day they would wear the taditional dress(their Sunday best I suppose) with the most wonderfully coloured headscarf to match. In Jeddah the younger generation of girls/women were seen in the shopping malls with their ahbya's blowing in the breeze, whisps of hair showing and underneath they wore desinger clothes in my eyes a bit of a rebellion starting, so good luck to the French Muslims to sticking to their rights, it is not the everyday muslims on the streets it is these religious idiots who have nothing else to worry about, just have a look if you have not already of the big stocky Russian soldier with the dead child in his arms THAT is what we need to worry about with all the terrorist nutcases in our world today sad.gif

--------------------
AmazingGrace In Transit Lounge Chester
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
August26
post 7th Sep 2004, 04:06am
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 898
I totaly agree, when in Rome do as the Romans do, if you don't like it. leave, over in the Gulf our soldiers are not allowed to wear any kind of religious symbols, so "what's good for the goose is good for the gander" The Muslim radicals are trying to control the French, it is the fastest growing religion in the world, they are murdering Christian's and in the past few years have probably killed more Christian's than Hitler killed Jews during WW2, my neighbors are Muslim, they told me they are a peace loving Religion, so I asked them, why aren't the peace lovers speaking out against the radicals, no answer. I know a lot of you will jump on your soap box and defend them, but I suggest before you do, do a little research find out what is going on in the world, in the Sudan, the rebels are Muslim, how many Christian's have they killed.

August

--------------------
Martin's Tartan Army

+Quote Post
flim
post 10th Sep 2004, 07:35am
Post #18

Resident
Member No.: 1,315
Hi All GG's France is correct about the wearing of headscarves its their country,Especially when you get Islamic [Muslims] threatening to kill two[2] French journalists,just because they want France to ditch this Law,if they are so concerned about wearing their head-dresses why dont they go back to an Islamic country of their choice..It is well known, even over here in Britain they want it to be an Islamic state,and remember they will never support the country that they live in,to go to war with another Islamic country..Thats my tuppence worth Cheers Flim

+Quote Post
Heather
post 10th Sep 2004, 09:29am
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Aye your right Flim. Sure about 2 years ago I was amazed when it was announced that the muslims in England wanted a town handed over to them so they could create a muslim state within England.
A relative who lives in England told me that when the English towns were celebrating the Queens 50 year on the throne and had flags and bunting flying, the people in one town were ordered to take down the Union Jack as it was offensive to the muslim's, apparently it nearly caused a riot because the people refused and quite rightly so. I cannot remember how it ended up.

The latest is that the muslim's want a black stripe put on the Union Jack to represent them. They do not seem to understand that the Union Jack represents the countries within the union not religions.

I and many more like me are sick to death at being told that some of our customs are offensive to the muslim's. Well if they don't like our customs why are they here? we certainly did not invite them and if they are unhappy then the quicker they leave the better for us.

I have no objection to anyone practising their choice of religion but, I don't want their customs rammed down my throat or our customs changed to suit them. If Christians went to a muslim country would they make changes to suit us, I like hell they would. wub.gif

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
Catherine
post 10th Sep 2004, 01:14pm
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 57
I've shortened down the Dress Code that's mandatory in our school to fit this topic..Here goes..

Inappropriate Attire:
Clothing with offensive language or messages that disparage any race, gender, sexual orientation, creed, ethnic or religious group.
Clothing that conceals identity.

There are a few Muslim children in our Primary, they wear their headress along with western style clothing.
I would NEVER look at them or others and think they were offensive. I totally respect that they wear the headress because of their religion.

I think France is wrong to bring this law in, they have walked right into TERRORISTS hands by doing so. They have given TERRORISTS, who camouflage themselves under law abiding Muslims, an excuse to murder...and the vicious cycle goes on and on and on.

How France could be surprised at the outcome of terrorist activities after this law astounds me. This law is no better than the Dictatorship they , along with other Western countries, say they abhorr.
Just my opinion, ah'll skeddaddle noo... biggrin.gif

--------------------
Oh ahv jist fun anither button...

+Quote Post
flim
post 10th Sep 2004, 01:30pm
Post #21

Resident
Member No.: 1,315
Hi All GG's..Could someone please tell me why Muslims must have head-dresses on,surely they cant go to bed with them on,lets be honest here, the Muslims who live in this country would never join the British Armed forces if we went to war with an Islamic Country,our Soldiers die along with Coalition forces in Iraq ,while they moan about our unfair System [ nuff said] Cheers Flim

+Quote Post
Isobel
post 10th Sep 2004, 01:40pm
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 33
I have many friends like you Catherine who are of all different backgrounds. I dont even think about where they are from or what religion they practice. One of the things I found very pleasing about Canada. No more are you Catholic or Protestant.
However this is a bigger issue here. I have heard so many stories about the Muslims in England.I don't think we fully understand it Catherine. They are definately trying to take over in some area's. Sorry I don't like that. Britain is their country of choice , and they should abide by that countries laws.It's not their right to offend the folks who made Britain what it is today. No one is saying don't practice your religion.What they are saying is dont ask us to change our ways to suit your religion. So I still say If you don't like the rules try somewhere else. Just my opinion.

--------------------
From Glasgow now in Canada

+Quote Post
Catherine
post 10th Sep 2004, 01:54pm
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
Hi Flim
I believe it's a mark of respect, for example the same way Jewish Orthodox religion demands women wear wigs outside the home. Hair has always been known as a show of vanity through the ages. I myself was brought up in the Catholic faith and remember as a wee girl going to Mass that I had to have my head covered...in respect to my religions belief that Our Lady was never seen with her head uncovered.

I cannot debate on the point you make about going to war for another country etc, I don't know anything about that but read with interest here as many contribute points I didn't know existed.
I can only reply to the topic header and cannot fathom why with so many more dangerous issues going on, that the French Government choose to target SCHOOLCHILDREN ....who may or may not be being influenced wrongly outside school by those terrorists.
Here's another view, {cripes nae mare ah kin here ye's sayin biggrin.gif } I know it's small but added to everything else how big it could be..maybe..

Children LEARN how to hate, they're no born with it..it doesn't come naturally, and for those children at an age where they could go either way....then France has blown it by using the one thing that impressionable ages rely on....NOT just for religion reasons either, and that's the right to be comfortable in their own dress sense.
This might sound another 'flimsy' excuse, but I speak from remembering being a teenager, and how rebellious I was when someone told me what I could or could not wear. At the end of the day I complied, but no without angry attitude.

With the zealots out there just waiting for this very opportunity to turn those impressionable minds to their way of thinking, with this new law they're that step closer to getting ahead, in my opinion.

Sorry Isobel, ye slipped in there pet. Yes I hear what you're saying, but wearing a headress surely shouldn't offend another and if it does then those who get offended are easily so.
The other issues as I said, I cannot comment on, I understand that I'm out the loop not living there, but where the headress and other issues become one I totally fail to see.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Heather
post 10th Sep 2004, 08:28pm
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
The people who run the schools have made it a rule that the scarves or other religious objects should not be worn therefore, the parents are wrong in encouraging their children to ignore this ruling.
I personally do not see anything wrong with wearing the headscarves but what is the reason for wearing them? the muslims seem to be the only one's complaining!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I listened to a discussion on the radio the other night regarding this issue and a muslim who took part in the discussion said the wearing of headscarves had nothing to do with their religion and it was a matter of choice for the woman/girls whether they wore it or not.

Catherine I also remember when we would not dream of going into Church for Mass or any other service with our heads uncovered. I also remember the mantilla which was popular with the girls, I wore one myself. Nowadays the only time you see hats being worn in Church is for weddings or in the winter because it is cold.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
Catherine
post 10th Sep 2004, 09:39pm
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
Hi Heather,
I've heard similar discussions on radio and tv over here, that nowhere in the Korans/Bibles of the world does it actually state that head gear must be worn.
However {ye knew this wis comin} ....I think it's wrong not to take into consideration 'traditions' for want of a better word, within a religions community.
My way of thinking is that there must be a lot more migrant people as the world gets smaller, many Muslims who in this instance may only be second generation to Western countries like France..maybe less, {then again I'm only guessing here before anyone jumps doon ma throat.}, and to many, the headress is part of their identity within their religion , which many of them believe is the most integral part of them as human beings .
My wee gran was horrified when the schools got rid of the Catechism, so were my parents and that was a ruling by their church, cripes ah could jist imagine the uproar if it had been a school ruling!

I have to say honestly that I've never heard France being praised much before for tolerance of any kind other than for themselves. Just a personal observation of mine and I'm not stating fact.

I firmly believe guys that racial hatred could be erradicated from this world if the people in it would just let incidentals {like headscarfs} go, respect differences and be open to learning from one another.
{And ahm no a goody two shoes either afore ye's throw me tae the lions } biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
August26
post 11th Sep 2004, 01:04am
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
Tommy watched a show last night on PBS about the re-building of Iraq, the Muslims were adamant that in no home in Iraq would prayer other than to Mohammad be allowed, when it was explained to them that other religious would pray in the privacy of their own homes, the Muslims would not accept it, so how on earth do they expect other countries to accept them, talk about trying to control the world, I think it's time for the politician's to take a real stand on this, when in Rome do as the Romans do. and remember shortly we will be going into the Christmas season, remember it's Merry Christmas, not happy holidays biggrin.gif

August

--------------------
Martin's Tartan Army

+Quote Post
Catherine
post 11th Sep 2004, 03:58am
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
Och away an bile yer heid Tommy laugh.gif

Seriously August, I'd be a bit suspect of that tv interview{personal opinion}.elections comin up ect...maybe? maybe no?
Ah jist no how much ah love that edit button, an ahm nae professional [no that ahm a cynic} wink wink...but don't let me go oan.

--------------------

+Quote Post
August26
post 11th Sep 2004, 04:24am
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
Catherine:
It was a legitimate show, well according to Tommy, you know how those Marines are, by the way when I called Mags tonight, Mike answered the phone, I told him who I was and asked to speak to Mags, Yankee Mike said he threw her in the Long Island Sound, he was doing his Scott Peterson, is he a bugger or not. dry.gif

August

--------------------
Martin's Tartan Army

+Quote Post
hubert
post 11th Sep 2004, 04:39am
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 31
Catherine of Canada, you have it right, looking at your posts and summation of this thread and topic I couldnt have said it better, I am proud of you and this is not the first time, its the second! HaHa
Have you been taking further education classes? HeHe
Live and let live is my believe.
A lot of this has me vaguely recalling the story about the Protestant man in Nazi Germany where he tells about the Gestapo coming for the Jews, and he did nothing then the Gypsy`s, again he did nothing, then the Catholics, same again, it went on, then they came for him, and there was no one left to defend or stand up for him.
Anyhoo something like that, someone may recall that story.
I have little tollerance for bigots and racsists, including all of that ilk!
Stand out of the way folks, and let your God handle things!

Thought that VAGUELY looked wrong! HaHa
Changed it, no so smart Melody! HeHe

This post has been edited by hubert: 11th Sep 2004, 09:18pm

+Quote Post
Melody
post 11th Sep 2004, 03:30pm
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
Aw Hubert, the voice of reason, hey Catherine for an auld grump he's gie clever!
Well the way I look at it is this. If I need a doctor or a nurse or somebody to help me, I certainly won't ask them if they are A Muslim, A Jew, A Catholic, or if they wear a headscarf or a turban or have long black pigtails.
I'll take their hand and thank my God for their help.
I don't care what flag waves above me, I can only do my best for others in the very short time that I am on this planet.

Then let us pray that come it may,
As come it will for a' that
That Sense and Worth, o'er a' the earth,
May bear the gree, and a' that.
For a' that, and a' that,
It's comin yet for a' that,
That Man to Man, the world o'er,
Shall brothers be for a' that!
smile.gif

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Jul 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.