Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> French Ban On Muslim Headscarves, What do you think?
GG
post 2nd Sep 2004, 11:01am
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
The French government has passed a law banning the wearing of Islamic headscarves in schools, which came into effect at the start of the new school year today. The French had been debating the issue for two decades, but it intensified in the past couple of years, with dozens of girls expelled from secular schools for refusing to remove their head covering.

Many French people regard the headscarf as a symbol of oppression of women, as well as the embodiment of a political worldview that rejects secularism and even, for some, embraces Islamic extremism.

Do you think the banning of the headscarves (and other overtly religious symbols) is a progressive step in a modern society and would you like the law to spread to other countries?

Related News Articles:

http://www.swissinfo.org/sen/swissinfo.htm...143&sid=5187530

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&cl...94043961104B234

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Archie Millar
post 2nd Sep 2004, 12:59pm
Post #2

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 3
If you live in a country you abide by its laws

--------------------
am still standin'

--
GG Update:

Sadly Archie passed away in March 2007:

http://discuss.glasgowguide.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=8646

GG.

+Quote Post
Isobel
post 2nd Sep 2004, 01:30pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 33
Fully agree with Archie, You live in a country you abide by thier laws. Hats of to France.

--------------------
From Glasgow now in Canada

+Quote Post
hubert
post 2nd Sep 2004, 02:35pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 31
Quite a number of years ago Sikhs that worked on Glasgow corporation buses got to wear their headgear turban if you like, I believe this happened, I dont see a problem with people wearing headwear that relates to their religion.
Sure are a lot of narrow minded people in this world, live and let live!

+Quote Post
whyteinch
post 2nd Sep 2004, 03:04pm
Post #5

Special Visitor
Member No.: 43
Hubert .. time has moved on.
France has taken this action because they perceive a problem coming in their state schools.
France clamped down on them as a symbol of a growing Islamic identity among pupils, also seen in cases of Muslim pupils denying the Holocaust and rising numbers fasting during Ramadan and pressuring less observant Muslim pupils to join them.

Jewish pupils have also reported increasing attacks by Muslims. France has 5 million Muslims and 600,000 Jews.

The ban also covers Jewish skullcaps and large Christian crosses, to ensure the secular rules are applied evenly, but officials have made clear their main target was the headscarf. The ban does not apply in Catholic and other private schools.

I support the move

--------------------
whyteinch

+Quote Post
carmella
post 2nd Sep 2004, 05:01pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
If this is what the French wish to do, since I do not live there, I have no problems with it. I do, however, think that this line of thought will spread throughout Europe. These are very strange times in which we live, and one wonders if there is as much freedom of speech and deed in the 21st Century as we are led to believe of course, there is far more in the West than there has ever been but is this progress? There are certain things which I would consider to be an infringement of my own personal and civil liberties what I wear is one of them. Doubtless, in France, many Muslims will feel the same way!

The individuals concerned will still be able to practice the religion which they have grown up with, be it children or adults. The most important thing in these cases therefore, one would assume, is to be true to whichever religion that is regardless of clothing.

All that I would add here, however, is that when, on a few occasions, I and many others have visited countries where the predominant religion is Islam, we are advised that it should be borne in mind that we are visiting a muslim country and that we should be mindful and respectful of this at all times and not offend the populous, as we are guests in their country. Further being reminded that we should be careful of what we wear when going out and about.

Whilst I totally agree that people should live their lives as they see fit and obey the various religious doctrines, which include dress in many cases. I think too, that when you go to another country and make that country your home, you should integrate into your new adopted society as best you can, keeping the religious side as a private matter. This is perhaps not so easy with Islam, as part of their day-to-day beliefs is the dress code particularly the wearing of headscarves for women in some sects.

When in Rome do as the Romans do so long as you let me get on with my life I will let you get on with yours. I loathe bureaucracy and red tape in all its forms and detest being dictated too, this is called free will.

--------------------
Silence is a true friend who never betrays.

Confucius - Chinese Philosopher - [551bc-479bc]

+Quote Post
Melody
post 2nd Sep 2004, 05:24pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
How sad it all is, this short life of ours. Archie says live and let live, and that would be exactly my sentiments. So what, someone chooses to wear a crucifix , someone else a scull cap, someone has pigtails, someone else has a headscarf. All crutches in life to help us through what at times is a difficult and confusing road.
I think it's so sad.

+Quote Post
hubert
post 2nd Sep 2004, 09:33pm
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 31
Hey Melodical a thought it wis me that said live and let live? rolleyes.gif HaHaHa

+Quote Post
ca,ppp,doremi
post 2nd Sep 2004, 10:18pm
Post #9

Super Resident
Member No.: 246
Laugh if you will. But my reaction to this situation is, I have no opinion. I find that certain areas in the world have become just such a crazy mixed up state of affairs mostly because of religious beliefs and differences,and constantly hanging onto past injustices from past wars. I do not envy a country with such multicultural challenges to deal with. Seems that the meaning of the word PEACE....is no more.

+Quote Post
Tom
post 3rd Sep 2004, 02:21am
Post #10

Super Resident
Member No.: 65
When in Rome do as the Romans do.

+Quote Post
Melody
post 3rd Sep 2004, 06:07am
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
Oh Hubert, humble apologies but you know me, must have been havin' a whirly day! laugh.gif Ah;m jist scared somebudy tells me ah canny wear red Pradas!!(Joke) Ah;m Glaswegian a'h canny help it!

+Quote Post
AmazingGrace
post 3rd Sep 2004, 02:50pm
Post #12

Super Resident
Member No.: 1,029
What a narrow minded world we live in. Richard and I have just spent 4 and a half wonderful years living in Malaysia. A hugely multicutural, multi religious and absolutely everyone lived in harmony together respecting each others religions, dress, colour, race etc. I have no objection to anyone wearing what they like, have the religion they prefer, and the beliefs they have as long as I am not forced into it, I have my own. When we lived in Saudi Arabia I had to always wear the Ahbaya, the long black coat, more for my own peace and so that I would not stand out in a crowd but I was also living in a country which was not my own and therefore I was a guest and respected it accordingly. The UK is getting too "we have to pussyfoot around all the guests" in our country who want and get everything without giving anything back and not be able to ring church bells on a Sunday morning, not be able to have little ornamental pigs in our lounge window and not fly the flag because it might offend someone. AND NOW TODAY'S NEWS taking children hostage, and people are worried about girls/women wearing headscarves sad.gif

--------------------
AmazingGrace In Transit Lounge Chester

+Quote Post
Tizzard
post 3rd Sep 2004, 05:05pm
Post #13

Visitor
Member No.: 319
I think the ban is a GOOD STEP forward and is LONG OVERDUE.

Muslims in France have for many years becoming increasingly militant in their attitudes to French society. The wearing of the scarf was only the tip of the iceberg and has recently been hijacked by extremists who had been using the garment and the issue to intimidate the authorities and other groups (particularly the Jewish community who are outnumbered in France by Muslims by 10:1 and are increasingly the victims of racial hatred). Muslims activists had been campaigning for the implementation of rules of behaviour in schools along Islamic teaching, such as segregation in swimming pools. Perhaps they will now think twice!!!

--------------------
Standing up for Glasgow!!!

+Quote Post
steakpie
post 3rd Sep 2004, 09:36pm
Post #14

Super Resident
Member No.: 1,066
I think the losers in the headscarf battle will be the muslim girls. They will not be allowed to attend public schools, so will be sent to religious schools, which will only teach them what they want them to learn. At least in public schools, they had an opportunity to see different cultures at work together and not men jumping women's bones because their hair was showing, as their religion seems to tell them.

These now segregated girls will then pass on their narrowed views to their families and the cycle will be continued. Probably exaclty what the extremists want.

Cripes, when I was being brainwashed with all the catholic guff, I believed it with all my heart. Only when I went out into the real world did I begin to question and look for rational explanations, as far as my limited intellect would allow. Take these muslim women out of circulation at an even earlier age and they will never get out from the tyranny of their religious mullahs.

I can't think of any religion which does not profess one thing and condone another. How many of us are turning the other cheek? And now we are doing unto others before they do unto us.

If there is a satan, he is laughing his head off. Maybe he wrote all those holy books. Could've done, the way people use them to justify their evil acts, Christian, Jew and Muslim alike.

+Quote Post
Isobel
post 4th Sep 2004, 02:06am
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 33
You got it Amazing grace.

--------------------
From Glasgow now in Canada

+Quote Post

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th Jan 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.