Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

1438 Pages V  « < 1337 1338 1339 1340 1341 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Scottish Independence, About voting yes/no
Rating 4 V
wombat
post 21st May 2017, 10:38pm
Post #20071

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,196
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 21st May 2017, 08:20pm) *
The whole crux of the matter is why UK wants so desperately ( and will stop at nothing) to hold on to Scotland. End of story!

sad.gif why, in your opinion Bilbo's ? you first. yes.gif

--------------------
the mighty only appear mighty
because YOU are on your knees.RISE UP.

wombat thit grates oan yie.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 21st May 2017, 11:15pm
Post #20072

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,545
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 21st May 2017, 07:20pm) *
"All the taxes raised in Scotland, including oil, do not cover the money spent in Scotland so it is not 'shared' between the +65 million of the UK. "

I see you still subscribe to the old chestnut that Scotland is subsidised. One does not have to be an accountant to dispel this myth. It only needs a logical, rational brain to figure out that the UK government, who will not subsidise a spare bedroom, is hardly disposed to support Scotland out of philanthropy. All taxes raised in Scotland, and far more uncredited, go to the UK exchequer, before they hand back the pocket money. Therefore the oil revenue IS shared among all the UK inhabitants at present. A situation which would be changed with independence, along with other items such as the booze industry, and income tax and NICS from employees whose payrolls are done in England.

The comparison is not so simple as looking at figures applicable to the status quo.

The whole crux of the matter is why UK wants so desperately ( and will stop at nothing) to hold on to Scotland. End of story!

I am simply stating the facts that are acknowledged by The SNP Scottish government, earnings from Scotland and its surrounding waters fall far short of the money spent here on both devolved and reserved budgets. Its the same with the barnett formula where funding per head is higher here than elsewhere in the UK, thats not pushing lies or some political agenda, it is stating a fact! if you checked the public service then you would see that Scotland has a higher % of people employed by the 'state' than the UK on average

Council tax inc the SNP's bedroom tax (+7% to 22.5%) as well as business rates are collected by local government. Under the Scotland act the SG will also be responsible for income tax rates, 1/2 of vat, air passenger duty, aggregates duty and stamp duty.

So if your argument is that Oil revenue is shared across the UK even though it nowhere near covers our bills then that also means that UK revenue is shared with us and thats why Scotland does not have far more crippling austerity measures imposed on it as would happen in Independence.

The 'booze' industry would only raise revenue for what is sold in Scotland, sheez I've seen this garbage posted so many times. We do not benefit from alcohol taxes sold in other countries, it is the countries themselves that gain not the exporter. As the SNP propose a minimum booze cost then that would mean less people drinking thus less taxes raised rolleyes.gif
You mention NICS who taxes are handled in England, that goes both ways as Scottish based companies who have employees elsewhere also have their tax handled by our local tax offices. swings and roundabouts

The UK is standing by the Edinburgh agreement commitment, if only the SG did so as well. The amount of times we heard 'once in a lifetime/generation' only to now learn they were lying through their teeth is a reason to not trust anything they say on the matter of independence, for those who use the 'excuse' that they were only offering their opinion even though they signed the bloody agreement is a bloody joke. No wonder the UK government refused to allow a shared currency, they cant trust what the SNP sign never mind what they say

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 22nd May 2017, 08:21am
Post #20073

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
QUOTE (john.mcn @ 22nd May 2017, 01:15am) *
I am simply stating the facts that are acknowledged by The SNP Scottish government, earnings from Scotland and its surrounding waters fall far short of the money spent here on both devolved and reserved budgets. Its the same with the barnett formula where funding per head is higher here than elsewhere in the UK, thats not pushing lies or some political agenda, it is stating a fact! if you checked the public service then you would see that Scotland has a higher % of people employed by the 'state' than the UK on average

Council tax inc the SNP's bedroom tax (+7% to 22.5%) as well as business rates are collected by local government. Under the Scotland act the SG will also be responsible for income tax rates, 1/2 of vat, air passenger duty, aggregates duty and stamp duty.

So if your argument is that Oil revenue is shared across the UK even though it nowhere near covers our bills then that also means that UK revenue is shared with us and thats why Scotland does not have far more crippling austerity measures imposed on it as would happen in Independence.

The 'booze' industry would only raise revenue for what is sold in Scotland, sheez I've seen this garbage posted so many times. We do not benefit from alcohol taxes sold in other countries, it is the countries themselves that gain not the exporter. As the SNP propose a minimum booze cost then that would mean less people drinking thus less taxes raised rolleyes.gif
You mention NICS who taxes are handled in England, that goes both ways as Scottish based companies who have employees elsewhere also have their tax handled by our local tax offices. swings and roundabouts

The UK is standing by the Edinburgh agreement commitment, if only the SG did so as well. The amount of times we heard 'once in a lifetime/generation' only to now learn they were lying through their teeth is a reason to not trust anything they say on the matter of independence, for those who use the 'excuse' that they were only offering their opinion even though they signed the bloody agreement is a bloody joke. No wonder the UK government refused to allow a shared currency, they cant trust what the SNP sign never mind what they say

Oh dear, oh dear! All Scotland's oil is worthless and now our booze. Eheu, eheu, o me miserum! I see now why we need England, as we have nothing of value . I'll have to learn to crawl to our benefactors, just as you do. Truly we are lucky to have such generous, selfless neighbours, led by a saint. I don't understand what is in it for them, but I'll just have to accept that there are less cynical folk than I, and be grateful for that. laugh.gif I should have listened to you, a sage and long-time supporter of the SNP and independence, who nevertheless had his epiphanous moment (was it on the road to Dalmarnock?), and put away childish things. (mixed metaphor, sorry!) No wonder you are such a fervent supporter of Westminster, surely the most honourable and honest institution on the planet.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 22nd May 2017, 11:25am
Post #20074

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 22nd May 2017, 09:21am) *
Oh dear, oh dear! All Scotland's oil is worthless and now our booze.

We're too poor, well thats John got the Too Wee (Nicola) too poor and too stupid (you, me and everyone else who believes in Scottish self determination) full house.

Well done John. thumbup.gif

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 22nd May 2017, 11:30am
Post #20075

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (john.mcn @ 21st May 2017, 11:28pm) *
I asked what the VOW was jagz, not your opinion on it. you state that is hasn't been fulfilled then why not post what it was and others can make up their mind if it was or not.

You don't know what the Vow was?

Was Cartoon Network channel doing a Scooby Doo 24 hr special that day?

Why should i do all the work, you look it up then tell us what has been delivered in full and others can make up their mind if it was or not.

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 22nd May 2017, 12:40pm
Post #20076

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 22nd May 2017, 01:25pm) *
We're too poor, well thats John got the Too Wee (Nicola) too poor and too stupid (you, me and everyone else who believes in Scottish self determination) full house.

yes.gif

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
Kemedian
post 22nd May 2017, 05:45pm
Post #20077

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 25,884
Typical SNP tactics. When faced with harsh truth - spin and smear. mellow.gif

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 22nd May 2017, 05:49pm
Post #20078

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Kemedian @ 22nd May 2017, 06:45pm) *
Typical SNP tactics. When faced with harsh truth - spin and smear. mellow.gif

I'm going to hate myself for this, what "harsh truth" and what "spin and smear"?

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 22nd May 2017, 06:12pm
Post #20079

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 22nd May 2017, 08:21am) *
Oh dear, oh dear! All Scotland's oil is worthless and now our booze. Eheu, eheu, o me miserum! I see now why we need England, as we have nothing of value . I'll have to learn to crawl to our benefactors, just as you do. Truly we are lucky to have such generous, selfless neighbours, led by a saint. I don't understand what is in it for them, but I'll just have to accept that there are less cynical folk than I, and be grateful for that. laugh.gif I should have listened to you, a sage and long-time supporter of the SNP and independence, who nevertheless had his epiphanous moment (was it on the road to Dalmarnock?), and put away childish things. (mixed metaphor, sorry!) No wonder you are such a fervent supporter of Westminster, surely the most honourable and honest institution on the planet.

No, for someone who claims to be superior i often wonder which part it is you are referring to as it certainly isn't your brain. Oil is not worthless, like other produces, works and services it has benefits even though at this time it doesn't directly raise enough cash to pay for the SNPs dream. It offers well paid jobs for those who have not been laid off and that means local services to the employees also benefit. The tax coffers will benefit as will local council tax as those on higher earnings generally live in more expensive homes that will be hit with the SNPs bedroom tax that you and jagz agree with because you dont pay it.
I am not wrong about the drinks industry, though I'm a bit confused as to why you call it 'our' booze, it is owned by multi corporations and as far as I'm aware the SNP do not have plans to nationalise it. If you have any evidence that offers proof that Scotland will collect alcohol duty on Whisky sold in other countries and how its enforced then I would certainly like to read it. if you dont then you're just doing the usual and mouthing off when getting confronted by facts that dont fit in with your wee brainwashing cult.
I see you once again pull the 'westminster supporter' crap, anyone here can look back and see if thats the case or why dont you ask Kem as we've argued plenty of times over the years.

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 22nd May 2017, 06:15pm
Post #20080

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 22nd May 2017, 11:25am) *

Well jagz I only see one too wee, poor and stupid thing here, if you have a mirror handy you might see it too

--------------------
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 22nd May 2017, 06:17pm
Post #20081

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 22nd May 2017, 07:49pm) *
I'm going to hate myself for this, what "harsh truth" and what "spin and smear"?

AAARRRGGGHHH! Jagz, never, never, ever, ever ask Kemedian to clarify or elaborate on a statement he makes. OK. he will manage the elaboration fine, but clarification will be a no-no. unsure.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 22nd May 2017, 06:22pm
Post #20082

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 22nd May 2017, 11:30am) *
You don't know what the Vow was?

I know what it was and I confronted you before about it. You were the one who stated it s not fulfilled so it should be easy to post it and prove your assertion
Was Cartoon Network channel doing a Scooby Doo 24 hr special that day?

I wouldn't know jagz as i dont have cartoon network but I see that once again you revert to the diversion tactics to avoid quite simple questions to your posts
Why should i do all the work, you look it up then tell us what has been delivered in full and others can make up their mind if it was or not.

I'm telling you that the vow to hold talks on power transfers has been fulfilled, the SNP played a major part in the discussion, the Scottish parliament stacked with SNP politicians voted for proposals and the 56 (at the time) SNP MPs voted for the Scotland act that put into motion the power transfer.. So tell me jagz, if the SNP was involved all the way and voted for the outcome of the talks what Vow are you talking about has not been fulfilled?

I'm just glad i wasn't on TV criticising SNP policy, bloody hell does wee Nic have a release the cyberhounds button in her handbag. a tactic to make sure everyone knows their place and they do not criticise policy.

--------------------
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 23rd May 2017, 10:07am
Post #20083

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (john.mcn @ 22nd May 2017, 07:22pm) *
I know what it was

I'm telling you that the vow to hold talks on power transfers has been fulfilled

No, you clearly don't know what the vow was. huh.gif

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 23rd May 2017, 07:16pm
Post #20084

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 23rd May 2017, 10:07am) *
No, you clearly don't know what the vow was. huh.gif

Well then Jagz, enlighten us!

--------------------
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 24th May 2017, 07:46pm
Post #20085

Mega City Key Holder

wink.gif

--------------------
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post

1438 Pages V  « < 1337 1338 1339 1340 1341 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.