Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Woolworths, Who worked in Woolworths
christine 1955
post 28th Nov 2016, 05:08am
Post #1

Visitor
Member No.: 6,662
I worked in Woolworths in Shawlands Cross, I started in 13 March 1972. Was a brilliant shop to work in. I remember the Sweeney sisters one was a staff supervisor, The other was a supervisor,they were Irish. What a great bunch of girls to work with,it was the best job I had . My name is Christine Newall / Graham.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
christine 1955
post 29th Nov 2016, 09:09pm
Post #2

Visitor
These are some of the girls I worked with, Jackie Lawrence, she was a supervisor and also my bridesmaid when I got married, and we are still friends to this day. Helen Ross from Barrhead, sadly she died a couple of years ago from cancer, she was such a nice girl and I was lucky to call her my friend. Linda Burnett she came from Arden I used to run about with her when I lived in Priesthill, I have lost touch with her, the last time I saw her was when she came down to Ayr to visit me , I was about four o r five months pregnant with my youngest son who is now 35. Gladys can't remember her second name she was also from Arden and she was friends with Linda. There was an older lady on the sweet counter her name was Miss Joyce, she was friends with the Sweeney sisters. Betty Grant she went with the boy who worked in the stock room. Tommy Curran, he worked up the back at the furniture. Also an Irish girl called Betty she was a supervisor, and Phyllis whose mum worked in the kitchen. They made very good meals there, always fish and chips on a Friday the rice pudding which was delicious. On Wednesday we had macaroni then semolina. On a Monday we had mince and fatties then custard and cake . A good place to work.

+Quote Post
christine 1955
post 11th Jan 2017, 07:26pm
Post #3

Visitor
The Irish lady who was a supervisor was Betty Cullen, she left Woolworths and worked for a bingo company, can't remember which one but one of the bingo clubs was in Ayr, up the top of the town. What a great bunch of girls to work with.

+Quote Post
christine 1955
post 18th Apr 2017, 10:30pm
Post #4

Visitor
Our under manager was Charlie mcmonigle, he was a good boss. The store manager was Mr Davies, he was a bit older. I remember one day one of the staff took ill and was taken to hospital, but unfortunately she died. Funny how you forget names . It was a long time ago.

+Quote Post
christine 1955
post 20th Apr 2017, 08:13am
Post #5

Visitor
Our under manager was Charlie mcmonigle, he was a good boss. The store manager was Mr Davies, he was a bit older. I remember one day one of the staff took ill and was taken to hospital, but unfortunately she died. Funny how you forget names . It was a long time ago.

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th May 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.