Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

12 Pages V  « < 10 11 12  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> People Who Lived In Barmulloch 70's & 80's, Lookin for old mates
**Maria**
post 8th Apr 2015, 08:23am
Post #166

QUOTE (John Gunn @ 15th Dec 2010, 12:44pm) *
It's been brilliant following the stories of everybody who lived in BarM in the 70s. I grew up in Quarrywood Road in the 60s/70s and moved away in 1984.

I'm wondering if anybody has any photos of the "The Field" behind Quarrywood that contained the amazing playground of the Bing, The Blackie, the "Torch & Battery" and the old Robroyston brickworks (with its 2 chimneys, demolished around 1970 I'd guess).

The area is now a landscaped park area and, I'm sure, much nicer in some ways, but there was a great feeling of freedom and adventure when playing in the industrial wasteland.

Hi John Gunn, I am Maria McGlynn I think you lived across from Mary Hardie her and I were best of friends back in the 80's and now still. We used to talk from time to time but I think you were a little older. I live in Canada now and been here since 1987. Just wanted to say hi.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*John Gunn*
post 26th Apr 2015, 06:28pm
Post #167

Hi, Maria. I'd be lying if I said I remembered you, but it's possible you are talking about the other John Gunn that lived in Quarrywood. I lived at 61 and the other John was at 84. What are the chances?!

Either way, good to hear from you. I hope all is well with you and yours in Canada.

+Quote Post
Para
post 15th May 2015, 12:22am
Post #168

Unpacking
Member No.: 28,882
Does anybody remember the McGarrells and the Welchs from Ryehill Rd

+Quote Post
Ogey
post 15th May 2015, 03:01am
Post #169

Visitor
Member No.: 5,351
Para, Yes. I remember them very well. I was in the same class as Maria McGarrell, and I remember Sandra Welch being a bit of a tomboy! They lived almost next door to each other, and close to the Gallachers 357? Ryehill Rd.

+Quote Post
Para
post 15th May 2015, 11:29pm
Post #170

Unpacking
Hello Ogey

I came across this site by accident

I showed my dad this post his name is Eddie McGarrell. He remembers you and you brothers Anthony Brian ,Paul and your sister Diane,from Ryemount Rd next door to the Coulters.My gran still stays in Barmulloch.

and so does Sandra Welch.I listened in amusement when he told me he used to sit in with your brothers whilst your dad took your mum to work in the taxis

+Quote Post
Ogey
post 16th May 2015, 04:16am
Post #171

Visitor
So, do I presume from your moniker, that you followed your Dad and Grandad's line of work? How's your Auntie Maria, does she still write with very small writing. (Funny, the things you remember about people!) Is there a connection with Sandra Welch and you? Regarding my mum going to work in the taxi base, Tony and I became taxi drivers, and my mum re-married,......... a taxi driver!! Nice to hear from you anyway. Give my regards to Eddie and Maria. Hail Hail.

+Quote Post
Para
post 18th May 2015, 09:45pm
Post #172

Unpacking
dad and granddads footsteps just didn't know what to call myself,there is no connection either just that they are the only neighbour originally there

+Quote Post
Para
post 18th May 2015, 09:50pm
Post #173

Unpacking
Hi Ogey I hve tried to convince my dad to come on here so watch this space.I didn't follow in his or my granddads footsteps.The Welchs are I think the only original neihgbours left from that era. Barmulloch must have been one hell of a place to grow up.My Aunt Maria stays in Moodiesburn and says hello and you were right about her writing.

+Quote Post
badger
post 7th Aug 2015, 11:53am
Post #174

Unpacking
Member No.: 30,353
Hello folks, just joined, hope some of you can help me. I'm researching the past of JOHN WATT, who passed away in 2002. He lived in Rye Road. He was a taxi driver and I believe he was once in the Royal Navy, ( but jumped ship ) He also had two sisters : Margaret and Mary. Hope you can give some input. Cheers.

+Quote Post
*Charlie engels*
post 22nd May 2016, 04:08pm
Post #175

Lived there from 1950 to 71spent my childhood up the bing and the Torch.

+Quote Post
**tracey**
post 24th May 2016, 08:52am
Post #176

Hi does anyone remember a McLaren family from Barmulloch in 1978. there was Derek, Martha and Annmarie McLaren, Derek would have been around 18 in 1978 and attended Barmulloch college.

+Quote Post
Ogey
post 24th May 2016, 07:12pm
Post #177

Visitor
Hi Tracey, I am ages with Derek, but, it's not a name I'm familiar with. Do you know where exactly they stayed? Did he have a nick-name?

+Quote Post
*Jan anderson*
post 3rd Apr 2018, 12:38am
Post #178

QUOTE (skippy @ 10th Mar 2006, 01:03am) *
Hi there everyone I am from australia and back in 1978 my sister and I came to stay with family for 6 months and attended all saints school and have always wanted to get in contact with some old friends from there, I also have family that live on Rye Rd their names were Jan and Jim McInch and an older sister I think Heather and younger brother Phillip??? Does anyone know this family or remember my sister and I over there?

Hello smile.gif Jan mcinch is my grandmother, I’m named after her she went on to have 3 sons Paul Scott and David she sadly passed away in the 1990s and my father Paul also passed away in 2009 and the older sister do you mean Lucy or Jacqueline? And there mum is Lucy my great grandma and father jimmy my great grandad I’ve always been very close with them I never got the chance to meet my grandma (Jan) but people only say great things about her

+Quote Post

12 Pages V  « < 10 11 12
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th Jan 2020

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.