Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

22 Pages V  « < 20 21 22  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Priesthill
Rating 5 V
*shirley.wilks2003@g*
post 3rd Sep 2014, 06:07am
Post #316

I know Christian Boag, Marion Mcdonald, Janice Taylor. Miss Berg teacher.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
downunderjim
post 17th Sep 2014, 09:24am
Post #317

Unpacking
Member No.: 26,636
Hi Margaret,

What an interesting site and well done for organising entries for Priesthill.

OK here I go - I was born in nearby Brockburn Rd and moved as a pre-school infant to 148 Priesthill Rd together with my family:

Mum and Dad - Bessie and Sam Moore

Sisters - Alice, Betty, Rena and Linda

I attended St Robert's School until we moved to England in 1961/62. I have found some old friends via Friends Reunited and tried others via LinkedIn but to no avail. One of my school friends was William Thomson whom I have tried to contact whilst recently living in Melbourne as I thought he and his family had emigrated to Australia - however I have just learned via this website that they moved to Canada and one of his brothers sadly died there in an accident.

My mum worked for McDonalds Biscuits (was it?) and she brought home marshmallows and Penguin type biscuits once a month. My dad worked on the "docks" as a slinger and cycled to work, later he worked at the "Pressed Steel" plant in Linwood before moving to England. I remember my older sisters working for Luma Lamp company (spelling?)

I remember the bus ride into "town" and the subsequent tram ride to my sister's flat.

I remember going to a local swimming baths - we were given a shilling which paid for the bus, the pool entry and a bag of chips! - each bit was four pence!

I have 3 class photographs from St Roberts and I will post them when I find them

We now live 50/50 in Melbourne and England (Lincolnshire)

It would be great to hear from anyone who knew any of the Moore's but I will enjoy reading about other connections and memories.

All the best

Jim Moore

+Quote Post
heather76
post 12th Apr 2015, 08:23pm
Post #318

Unpacking
Member No.: 28,772
Hi,,,my family lived in priesthill twice,,a remember the second time but was to young to remember the first time,,am trying to find out about my mums house that went on fire on priesthill road in 1977 ,,my brother william died he was only young ,,a was a year old so dont remember,,ma mum n dad lived above marion balchin and was pals with phylis macdonald my dad was a steel worker he had motorbikes his pals were jimmy borland and other bikers ,,a had two big sisters and three brothers at the time but william died no one can tell me where hes buried or anything about what happened how it started,,anyone remember the family that lived in 74 priesthill road in the 70's,,cheerz ,

+Quote Post
*patricia connelly (*
post 21st Apr 2015, 10:24am
Post #319

QUOTE (downunderjim @ 17th Sep 2014, 09:41am) *
Hi Margaret,

What an interesting site and well done for organising entries for Priesthill.

OK here I go - I was born in nearby Brockburn Rd and moved as a pre-school infant to 148 Priesthill Rd together with my family:

Mum and Dad - Bessie and Sam Moore

Sisters - Alice, Betty, Rena and Linda

I attended St Robert's School until we moved to England in 1961/62. I have found some old friends via Friends Reunited and tried others via LinkedIn but to no avail. One of my school friends was William Thomson whom I have tried to contact whilst recently living in Melbourne as I thought he and his family had emigrated to Australia - however I have just learned via this website that they moved to Canada and one of his brothers sadly died there in an accident.

My mum worked for McDonalds Biscuits (was it?) and she brought home marshmallows and Penguin type biscuits once a month. My dad worked on the "docks" as a slinger and cycled to work, later he worked at the "Pressed Steel" plant in Linwood before moving to England. I remember my older sisters working for Luma Lamp company (spelling?)

I remember the bus ride into "town" and the subsequent tram ride to my sister's flat.

I remember going to a local swimming baths - we were given a shilling which paid for the bus, the pool entry and a bag of chips! - each bit was four pence!

I have 3 class photographs from St Roberts and I will post them when I find them

We now live 50/50 in Melbourne and England (Lincolnshire)

It would be great to hear from anyone who knew any of the Moore's but I will enjoy reading about other connections and memories.

All the best

Jim Moore

Hi Jim Moore you don`t know me but my family moved to 148 Priesthill Rd in 1961/62 so you and your family must have just moved out. We lived at 18 Shilton Dr before that. I also went to St Roberts and Bellarmine schools and have just found this site. It is a really good site giving me great memories of living there, My older sister also lives in Melbourne, it was good to read and find out who lived in our old house before us. We also had four girls and one boy living there!

+Quote Post
Derek07
post 18th Aug 2015, 06:21pm
Post #320

Unpacking
Member No.: 27,066
I lived in Househillwood Road but hung about Priesthill in my youth I wonder if anyone remembers the names Stuart Neill Rab and billy Todd Nicky Scullion Alec Johnston Ronny Blythe the Bennets to name a few I knocked around Ravenscraig Drive and Muirshiell cres it was a great place to live many happy memories of the place ended up with wee Susan Neill from Kaim Drive and now live down south for the past 35 years we were up a couple of weeks ago and did not recognize the place .

+Quote Post
thejim
post 3rd Feb 2016, 09:17pm
Post #321

Unpacking
Member No.: 29,971
QUOTE (*leo 123* @ 16th Oct 2010, 08:01pm) *
alright fory i lived next door to kieth robertson at 42 priesthill road he always reminded me of the milky bar kid with his glasses i used to go about with his younger brother stuart his mum ws a machinist who made clothes many a pair of trousers i wore i think his sister shiela still stays in priesty i waas at school with a girl called fay macken i wonder if its eddies sister i dont know if you remember willie long or chic anderson from priesthill road or stu fullerton like you i have a few photos from priesthill in the 70s but i just cant get them on to this site my sister stayed at 27 shilton drive she had a big daft white pyranean mountain dog i will try and get them on to friends reunited ps did you ever ride double blue or peppertree lane ? many a few quid i made off them leo mc phillips

It was number 29 your sister stayed at the same as me That big stupid mutt bit me one day for no reason and nearly took my leg off biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
sousidemedic
post 25th Feb 2016, 12:50am
Post #322

Unpacking
Member No.: 8,184
Hi troops. Just returned to this page not knowing it was still here. Well done to all for keeping it going.
I retired early last year after 22 years as a paramedic, the last 10 were spent around my old haunts, Priesthill, Nitshill, Pollok etc.... The place has changed massively but sadly the hardcore bevvy merchants remain through the generations. Guys I laughed and drank with in the Oak have either moved on or passed on, but being in my job, I ended up treating their sons, daughters, nephews and nieces, either outside the bookies or elsewhere in the schemes.
It was also heartwarming to see so many of the older guys still kicking about and doing well. I'm hoping to work in the caring sector very soon because there's still lots of life in this old dog yet.

+Quote Post
thejim
post 26th Feb 2016, 06:54pm
Post #323

Unpacking
Hi SSmedic where did/do you stay in the area ??

+Quote Post
sousidemedic
post 27th Feb 2016, 03:37pm
Post #324

Unpacking
Member No.: 8,184
QUOTE (thejim @ 26th Feb 2016, 08:02pm) *
Hi SSmedic where did/do you stay in the area ??

Hi Jim, I was in Lunderston Dr for over 20 years. Worked in the yards back then and worked and drank in the oak until I met my now wife, but have always lived within touching distance.

+Quote Post
thejim
post 27th Feb 2016, 08:55pm
Post #325

Unpacking
Hi I stayed in Shilton Dr I left around 74ish drank in the Levern and The Railway Happy days I now stay in Balornock I still have family in Craigbank I sometimes take a wee drive through Priesthill just for a wee look its a shame how much of it is gone now

+Quote Post
*Iain Mcwilliams*
post 26th Oct 2016, 09:52pm
Post #326

QUOTE (Geezabrek @ 8th Jan 2008, 05:48pm) *
St Robert's Primary School - 'about' 1959? (Not sure of the year - guessing)....
(I am back row 7 from left)!!

Hi i went to st roberts in 1960`s mrs mcgee was the teacher then guys in class were gordon brown iain johnston alan mcdonald also josephine ranakin.

+Quote Post

22 Pages V  « < 20 21 22
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th Mar 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.