Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> John Smeaton To Visit Ground Zero, Glasgow Airport Hero to travel to America
GG
post 5th Sep 2007, 07:59pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
| The airport employee who helped save Glasgow Airport from an attempted terrorist attack on June 30th 2007 is to join US firefighters and dignitaries at Ground Zero for the sixth anniversary of 9/11.

Baggage handler John Smeaton will visit the site of the September 11th attack where the World Trade Center used to stand, symbolically linking his heroism with the achievements of the men and women who battled to save lives after the attack six years ago.

Mr Smeaton was invited by the American Scottish Foundation, whose president Alan Bain commented that "our members are thrilled at the opportunity of meeting a modern Scottish hero".

He has received emails of solidarity from "first responders on the front lines against terrorism - the fire fighters, police officers and the troops fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan", claimed the PR agent managing the trip, Stephen Jaffe.

"Smeaton plans to send out a message at the 9/11 memorial in New York that 'if we all stand together, terrorism cannot destroy our way of life in the West,'" Mr Jaffe added.

The trip is being supported by Sir Richard Branson's Virgin Atlantic, which is giving the airport employee free flights to the US.

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Heather
post 5th Sep 2007, 08:02pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
I read this in the newspapers today.

I think it is hilarious that he has also been given a column in the Sun newspaper. Good luck to him. laugh.gif

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
jaybee
post 6th Sep 2007, 12:49pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,800
OMG.... I am sitting here wondering if New York is ready for John..... or is John ready for New York. Jaybee

+Quote Post
Elma
post 6th Sep 2007, 03:47pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
From: Originally Annan with a wee bit of Glasgow in between now Kimberley, B.C.
Member No.: 1,650
Good on the people in New York for inviting John Smeaton to the 9/11 event. He deserves all the recognition he can get. If what happened at Glasgow Airport had ben in the US we would never have heard the end of it. Good luck in the States John!

+Quote Post
angel
post 6th Sep 2007, 03:54pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
I think this man deserves recognition outside of his own country , he will be treated very well in New york..!

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post
Ayrshire
post 14th Sep 2007, 07:41pm
Post #6

Settling In
Member No.: 4,885
Yeh, it actually made "CNN Heroes" over here in the states. He looked awesome! Our Johnny. (lol)

--------------------
"Shude Auld Aquaintance Be Furgote???"

+Quote Post
stratson
post 14th Sep 2007, 07:46pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,660
Well deserved recognition!(after reading his column in the "SUN" yesterday)"SMEATO". biggrin.gif

What a nice young man he is.!

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post
maryhillgal
post 15th Sep 2007, 12:55am
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,960
I received this e-mail a couple of weeks ago and thought it quite relevant to the
John Smeatom article.

NICELY SAID!

Notice: the following may be an urban myth: [GG]

An incident occurred in a supermarket recently, when the following was witnessed.

A Muslim woman dressed in a Burkha [a black gown & face mask] was standing with her shopping in a queue at the checkout. When it was her turn to be served, as she reached the cashier, she made a loud remark about the "British flag" lapel pin, which the female cashier was wearing on her blouse. The cashier reached up and touched the pin and said "Yes, I always wear it proudly. My son serves abroad with the forces
and I wear it for him.

The Muslim woman then asked the cashier when she was going to stop bombing and killing her countrymen, explaining that she was Iraqi.

At that point a gentleman standing in the queue stepped forward and interrupted with a calm and gentle voice, and said to the Iraqi woman.

"Excuse me, hundreds of thousands of men and women, just like this lady's son, have fought and sacrificed their lives so that people just like YOU can stand here in Britain, which is MY country and allow you to blatantly accuse an innocent check-out cashier of bombing YOUR countrymen."

"It is my belief that if you were allowed to be as outspoken as that in Iraq, which you claim to be YOUR country, then we wouldn't need to be fighting there today. However, now that you have learned how to speak out and criticise the British people who have afforded you the protection of MY country, I will gladly pay the cost of a ticket to help you pay your way back to Iraq."

"Finally, when you get there, if you manage to survive for being as outspoken as you are being here in Britain, then you should be able to help straighten out the mess which YOUR Iraqi countrymen have got you into in the first place......which appears to be the reason you have come to MY country to avoid."

Apparently the queue cheered and applauded.

IF YOU AGREE, please pass this on to all of your proud British friends.

This post has been edited by GG: 27th Sep 2007, 09:13pm

+Quote Post
carmella
post 15th Sep 2007, 04:11pm
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
I must say I was glad to hear that John had been invited on September 11th to Ground Zero - it left a very strong impression on me when I visited, and I'm certain it will have had the same effect on John.

He has come over on interviews as a very sincere guy, so I wish him luck - just goes to show what the would be terrorists come up against on Scottish soil eh?

Good Luck John - you deserve it, for not even hesitating at the time.

--------------------
It is possible to fail in many ways...while to succeed is possible only in one way.
- Aristotle

+Quote Post
Oor Wullie
post 17th Sep 2007, 05:06am
Post #10

City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,469
QUOTE (maryhillgal @ 15th Sep 2007, 01:12 AM) *
An incident occurred in a supermarket recently,

I'd be interested to know if there is a source for the report of this "incident", or if it's just another tired old piece of islamphobic propaganda doing the rounds. rolleyes.gif

I'd also like to know what relevance maryhillgal thinks this report [true or false] has to the article on John Smeaton's visit to "ground zero ". unsure.gif

+Quote Post
maryhillgal
post 17th Sep 2007, 02:25pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,960
The only relevance was the "Muslim" angle [as it was Muslim terrorists at Glasgow Airport]and I certainly did not post this with the intention of offending anyone. I am sorry if I have done so.
You have now upset me by inferring that I might be Islamaphobic. I certainly am not as a lot of my son's friends are of the Muslim faith. It was only an e-mail I received which I thought the GG readers might like to read - whether it is true or not I don't know but I didn't set out with the intention of offending anyone.

+Quote Post
Oor Wullie
post 18th Sep 2007, 02:23am
Post #12

City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,469
As far as I'm concerned, there is no need for maryhillgal to apologise for anything. Her post certainly didn't offend me.

I was just trying to make the point that there are a number of these types of messages which appear on the net, which are without any basis in fact and which are aimed solely at provoking a particular reaction.

I would also like to clarify that I was categorising this type of message [and not maryhillgal] as islamophobic. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 1st Apr 2013, 10:56am
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
Read in the paper today that Smeato has taken a job as a carpet cleaner in the US.Im glad he has got a job.Im still puzzled to this day as to what he actually done at the airport to earn his hero status.
Any clues?

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 1st Apr 2013, 11:06am
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
Joop, he did what the Americans claim they like to do best; Kick-ass. biggrin.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 1st Apr 2013, 11:46am
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,545

But he didn't did he, he came out with a stupid comment about coming to Glasgow when he wasn't from Glasgow nor was the terror incident in Glasgow.
The guys who got stuck in first and did a lot more got forgotten because he was made some kind of hero due to his unintelligent ramblings on TV. But then when 'we' elevate junkies like 'Starvin Marvin' to icon status maybe its what we deserve..
BTW, the real heroes were the public servants who tried to save these nutters, i dont think i could do that and credit to them for doing their job even if they wanted the ******* to suffer.

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.