Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Was Thatcher Death Party Inappropriate?, George Square celebrations at ex-PM's death
Eddie McFadyen
post 12th Apr 2013, 09:42am
Post #16

Unpacking
Member No.: 10,833
Express your revulsion at Thatcherism and Conservatism at the ballot box. Even this opponent of Thatcher is uncomfortable at the glee being expressed by people who have not examined the issues.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 12th Apr 2013, 09:50am
Post #17

Their behaviour is totally disrespectful and it makes me ashamed to be Scottish. Most of these troublemakers didn't look old enough to even know who MT was! Just another pathetic excuse to behave appallingly and I don't think the media should keep going on about it as this is just what these morons want!

I'm not an MT fan but I certainly would not behave in this way and show myself up like

+Quote Post
amclpreston
post 12th Apr 2013, 10:07am
Post #18

Unpacking
Member No.: 7,716
QUOTE (Scottish Anna @ 12th Apr 2013, 09:38am) *
I agree with Campsie, the behaviour in George Square was appalling. Other countries must be shaking their heads in disbelief. I wonder how many of those celebrating would cope with the conditions we had to in the seventies? Queuing for bread while the bakers couldn't churn it out fast enough, no heat or lighting unless you had a coal fire IF you could get coal (we lived near an old railway line and would dig to try and find fossils to burn) candles were scarce, but my brother was a butcher so we used lard to make candles, so dangerous and the smell, ugh. As for the rats? everywhere! The country needed a strong Prime Minister and we got one. I wonder how this bunch of leaders would cope with these conditions? They just want to be everyone's friend. What we need is someone with balls, oh, she's dead.

I remember the 3 day week early in the 70's. I wasn't a striker, but recall it all as a bit of an adventure. With no real hardship, because it was for a rather limited time and people helped each other out.

I also remember the "Every man for yourself" attitude that Thatcher brought, and the very direct effect her policies had on my working life.

I agree that celebrating the decline of an elderly woman would have been inappropriate. However, upon her death I cannot in any way condemn celebrations, or parties. Thatcher didn't give two hoots about the communities she just about destroyed. Celebration of her death is completely right.

+Quote Post
**rab hay**
post 12th Apr 2013, 10:08am
Post #19

Absolutely disgraceful, also why are there Irish republican flags there, still hurting after the 9 prisoners killed themselves and blamed Maggie?

+Quote Post
shugie
post 12th Apr 2013, 10:51am
Post #20

Unpacking
Member No.: 21,548
They look a bit young and also they should show a bit of respect for some one that the people voted for.

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 12th Apr 2013, 10:58am
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (crunchiebags @ 12th Apr 2013, 09:23am) *
I personally think the George Square revellers where celebrating the death of something far greater than the person that was Maggie Thatcher. They were celebrating the demise of an ideologist and her cronnies who ruthlessly and without compassion drove their reforms through parliament in the 1980's.

But her ideology is still alive and kicking, Blair and Brown's governments embraced Thatcherism, it was the basis for New Labour, to appeal and become electable to the voters of middle England, and Cameron and Osborne are going to make the Thatcher years look like a Golden age, the only way to protect Scotland from the ravages of Tory rule whether that be from the Tories themselves or Tory Lite (New Labour) is to take control of our own affairs, vote YES next year.

You have been warned.

+Quote Post
Mathieson
post 12th Apr 2013, 10:59am
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,207
Even posing the question as to whether it was inappropriate was inappropriate in my humble opinion.

--------------------
Three cheers for the Red, White and Blue !

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 12th Apr 2013, 11:04am
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (Ayeyuya @ 12th Apr 2013, 09:57am) *
Illegal Republican march outside the Barrowlands to 'celebrate' her passing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf1egw0XxyA

Yes, and the majority of them will be voting NO next year along with their fellow unionist flute blowing Irish brothers in the Orange lodge.

Morons.

+Quote Post
*marion L*
post 12th Apr 2013, 11:05am
Post #24

Power makes one so evil and I believe she was a driadhful snob miles away from reality. She is gone and well despised by so many.... Can't believe she has had the support from the others who walk in her shoes... We have to fight for justice for many follow her.....

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 12th Apr 2013, 11:12am
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,545
Jagz i have had discussions with people who want a United Ireland, even if the people there vote against it but talk about Scotland and they are as Unionist as the DUP.. Only in Scotland rolleyes.gif

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
stratson
post 12th Apr 2013, 11:19am
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,660
Do not agree with "PARTY" .

Instead, use your vote wisely next year and vote "YES. for Scottish Independance thumbup.gif

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post
DavidT
post 12th Apr 2013, 11:34am
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 13,194
QUOTE (stratson @ 12th Apr 2013, 11:36am) *
Do not agree with "PARTY" .

Instead, use your vote wisely next year and vote "YES. for Scottish Independance thumbup.gif

I agree. I only found two unnecessary words in this post.."not" and "instead" thumbup.gif

+Quote Post
Harrymc
post 12th Apr 2013, 11:39am
Post #28

Special Visitor
Member No.: 5,658
As a Glaswegian who has lived for many years on Merseyside I am thoroughly DISGUSTED by the antics of the so called protests/celebrations many of whom were not even born when Maggie Thatcher was in power.The decent folks in both these great cities would not wish to be in any way associated with these morons.

That said,I endorse what CAMPSIE and others have said previously and would just like to ask ; if what she did was so bad why did Blair,Brown and the rest of what poses as the Labour Party these days spend 13 years in power changing nothing?

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 12th Apr 2013, 11:56am
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,545
Maybe people want to go back to the days of no choice Harry, no choice in electricity or gas supplier, if you wanted a phone line you had to go with BT who would also control the internet and mobile phone signals.
The sell offs did go too far though, bus de-regulation and the Trains privatisation was wrong imho, they should be a trust and run on the behalf of the public, not shareholders or the people working there.
My first home i bought was an ex council property, something myself and hundreds of thousands of people couldn't do without her, many of us once on the property ladder then went on to other properties creating jobs for the industry and plenty of money for the council/tax man through tax, tax and more tax. Thatcher was wrong on a lot of things and some of her policies were too harsh and quick, for that i think blame can also sit at a certain union leaders feet, but she did change some things for the better.

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 12th Apr 2013, 12:22pm
Post #30

I would not celebrate this woman's death but I will not be sorry. She caused a lot of the problems that we are facing today with her selfish far right policies that put 95% of our wealth into the pockets of a privileged 5%.

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.