Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> When Two Parents Are Not Enough!, Health and safety policy in a flap?
GG
post 8th Jul 2012, 07:46pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
It sounded like a great idea, and exactly the kind of healthy family activity which city politicians claim they are desperate to promote ... however, for one young Glasgow family a trip to their local swimming baths was scuppered after they were refused entry on health and safety grounds.

Mr and Mrs Ross took their three children to the local council swimming pool in Easterhouse only to be told that they would need to get another adult to accompany them if they wanted to bring in their three children into the publicly-owned pool. Officials at the facility, run by leisure quango Glasgow Life, informed the young couple that there was a 'one-adult-per-child' policy in force because their three children (aged six, four and a one-year-old) were under eight.

Following the exclusion, Mrs Ross, a retail supervisor, said:
"I felt really upset, I felt I was being penalised for having more kids. The boys were also upset because they wanted to go swimming.

I tried to explain to the person that they [the older boys] can stand in the shallow bit of the big pool, which is 1.2metres, and one can swim without any aid. But the officials said, 'Sorry, it is health and safety, these are the rules'.

I think it should be up to the parents to decide because we are liable for the children s safety. I'm not saying go in with six children under the age of eight, but if you know what your kids are capable of doing in a pool it should be up to you, not for someone to say no entry."

With the children in tears, the young family were forced go elsewhere, finding no problem gaining entry to the Time Capsule swimming pool in Coatbridge.

A spokesman for Glasgow Life said:
"We operate a pool admission policy in line with national industry guidelines for the safety of all customers, particularly young children. Easterhouse Pool was very busy at the time of the family's visit, so this policy was fully applied in the interests of health and safety."

The exclusion of the young family comes at a time when the city is preparing to host the 525million Commonwealth Games in 2014, where a key goal is to bring about a "cultural change in citizens' attitude to health and motivation to participate in physical activity and sport".

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bossyboots
post 8th Jul 2012, 09:06pm
Post #2

Settling In
Member No.: 5,423
This is absolutely OUTRAGEOUS. I honestly am lost for words with this story. Its really getting more ridiculous now and before you know it you wont be able to walk down the street with your children incase of the very strong possibility that something drops out of the sky and whacks them on the head.

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 8th Jul 2012, 09:21pm
Post #3

I can kind of see where the health and safety bit comes in, but its still a bit off. Yes you may lose track of a child for a second and yes something could go wrong, but come on, the parents know that. Lets not turn into China when they only allowed parents to have two kids.

Plus what if you're a widow with two kids. Or a single dad with more than one kid. Are you turned away at the door too? Bureaucracy gone mad.

+Quote Post
angel
post 8th Jul 2012, 09:31pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
Just my 2 cents worth here .......

If the Easterhouse pool was as busy as the spokesperson said and according to their Health and safety guidlines ,I think the right decision was made , however , I can't for the life of me figure what the outcome had to do with the Commonwealth Games .

I'm very pleased that this young family did manage to get swimming and participate in this wonderful activity .

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post
**eddie McFadyen**
post 8th Jul 2012, 09:36pm
Post #5

It reminds me of an incident when my 17yrs old son (who happened to have his bronze medallion life-saving award) wasn't allowed to take his 7yrs old sister into a pool (not in Glasgow.) "Have to be 18 to take a child in." That means a large percentage of South Ayrshire parents can't take their babies swimming.

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 8th Jul 2012, 09:37pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12,899
This is a tricky one. If i am reading it right the pool state that they fully applied the rule due to it being very busy, if that is the case if it was quieter would the family have been allowed in? I have three kids and when they were young i would take all three to my local pool and other pools every weekend and i was never refused entry but on many occasions i have been in pools and seen little kids playing about with no parental supervision at all ie parent or parents either swimming at the deep end or being out of the pool altogether and i have kept a watchful eye on them at the same time as watching my own kids. Most parents are very careful and thoughtful, but not all. how many times can you go into supermarkets and find tiny little kids wandering about on their own !! However if the pool was indeed busy maybe they needed more lifeguards on duty

--------------------
ave got my opinion as well

+Quote Post
Heather
post 8th Jul 2012, 09:39pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
I wonder when that rule was brought in.

I took my two g'daughters to Easterhouse Swimming Pool when both of them were pre-school age and I was never turned away. They went in the main Pool which also has a slide for the children.

There is also a Learners Pool and when no one is being taught, children are allowed to use it as it is very shallow.

There is also a Lifeguard on duty all the time.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
The Callands Reb...
post 8th Jul 2012, 09:44pm
Post #8

Visitor
Member No.: 9,211
Good Day:

Your powers to be like those who on a daily basis are regulating the hell out of us here in the States. Just check out what the United Nations fully backed by the USA have in store for us all.

jERRY
Callands Rebel

+Quote Post
chas1937
post 8th Jul 2012, 10:04pm
Post #9

Special Visitor
Member No.: 10,795
Nothing surprises me these days as so much claims for compensation that all authoroties are scared of claims being falsely made

+Quote Post
campsie
post 8th Jul 2012, 10:19pm
Post #10

Super Resident
Member No.: 8,874
This is not as straight forward as we would like it to be. I would like to point out that 1.2 metres is 3ft 9ins and the two older boys are 6 and 4 I doubt very much the 4yr old is tall enough to stand and keep his balance even if he is tall for his age in rhat depth. We all know how kids like to emulate other kids especially in a pool where everything seems so carefree, and paying attention is hard. It can be hard going just looking after one child in a park when they want to run around and explore. Where water is concerned it is different it only takes a few careless minutes of taking your eyes off them for something awful to happen, and in this case because the mother has failed to realise that 1.2 metres of water is very deep for a 4year old and maybe even rhe 6 yrnold depending on his height. Added to which when the pool is very busy it does become more difficult should one of the children wander off unnoticed. I think the on this occassion Glasgow Life did put safety first, interestingly the parents did not mention if the pool they did get into was very busy also. Another point I wonder who the parents would blame if an unfortunate accident did happen to one of their children if they had been let into rhe first pool?

+Quote Post
Jazzsaxman
post 8th Jul 2012, 10:21pm
Post #11

Visitor
Member No.: 8,324
Animal Farm - "All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others".

Do they not employ lifeguards for that very reason. Next thing you know, they will be stopping you going into the sea at Largs. It is those little government termites again that are nibbling away at your freedom. It is pathetic.

+Quote Post
seamus1954
post 8th Jul 2012, 11:16pm
Post #12

Lord Provost
Member No.: 13,082
Bureaucratic nonsense , Do they Not have lifeguards????What the H### Ever happened to Common sense I thought stuff like that only Happened over Here , They micro regulate everything and regulate it to death I am incensed And I don't even live there!!!!!!!!

+Quote Post
angel
post 9th Jul 2012, 12:05am
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
Campsie , I agree with your post #10 ... 100%

In a large public swimming pool that is jam packed with children and adults , it is extremely difficult for lifeguards to spot those who maybe having difficulties in the water and from my own experience in this sort of situation , with just two children " who by the way are excellent swimmers " because their parents made sure that they had professional swimming lessons , The life guard saw that my grandaughter was in difficulties because of another young swimmer , whom I now think was overwhelmed by the amount of people in that pool . however under these crowded conditions it can be very difficult for lifeguards to see everything , but no matter , they have saved probably thousand's of lifes .

I recall as a child going to the Medwyn St. swimming pool in Whiteinch on a Sat. afternoon , " the wee pool as we called it " waiting in a lineup , because the amount of kids allowed into that pool at any given time , was controlled , " so this is'nt a new thing " we may well have waited about 1hr. to get in at times , but it was , I believe , for safety reasons , "they did not overcrowd the pool " but I sure learnd to swim there , and that allowed me to go swimming in the big pool .... O'
Happy Days biggrin.gif

I thought that I would add this little bit of info. I picked up

Drowning and Injury

In any situation where more than a few inches of water are involved, there is a risk of drowning. The overall risk of drowning is actually decreased at public swimming pools where lifeguards are present. The high volume of swimmers at a public pool, however, can create dangerous situations for novice swimmers. Young swimmers may be overwhelmed in a pool crowded with people; all children should be partnered with an adult during swimming in a public pool.

Injuries also are hazards at a public pool. Many public pools use skid-resistant surfaces for decks and walking areas, but incidences of slipping are likely due to the amount of water that is tracked out of the pool by multiple swimmers. Crowded public pools facilitate accidental injuries caused by swimmers bumping into one another. Lifeguards are first aid certified, however, and public pools are required to maintain adequate safety and injury equipment and supplies. .

Read more: Public Swimming Pools Risks | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_6638257_public-sw...l#ixzz2052Bq8lq

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post
laura j
post 9th Jul 2012, 12:30am
Post #14

Unpacking
Member No.: 12,861
Surely, its easier reading that the family were refused entry than the not entirely outwith the realm of possibility alternative report of a tradgedy..
It doesnt take very long to drown. Ability to swim does not guarantee it wont happen.From the "health and safety" perspective i think its an acceptable policy - One which would benefit from being highlighted to any visitors before they reach the kiosk... but not altogether unreasonable.
I understand the parents frustration, however they really shouldnt take it as a personal insult.

+Quote Post
mlconnelly
post 9th Jul 2012, 12:50am
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,809
Health and safety has gone mad here but at the same time I can see the point for not over-crowding the pool. But surely it would have been more than reasonable and certainly more tactful of the person in charge to explain that the pool was busy and ask the familiy if they would mind waiting or come back later. I have never been in Easterhouse pool but I have been to the Time Capsule on several occasions and it is always choc-a-block, especially during school holidays. There is also an abundance of life-guards on duty at any given time, much more so then at any Glasgow Life pools. Mary

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.