Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Second Betrayal Of William Wallace, Wallace's Well on brink of destruction
GG
post 31st May 2011, 11:28pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Wallace's Well in Robroyston, the site where the Scottish patriot William Wallace took his last drink as a free man, today, sadly, stands on the brink of destruction. Despite much-repeated calls by community and historical groups, Glasgow City Council has steadfastly refused to protect the ancient site, resulting in the almost complete destruction of the well's outer wall by passing road traffic.

The council has also been contacted on numerous occasions by concerned citizens from the surrounding area, and many from much further afield; however, the Labour-dominated local authority has so far refused to implement signposting or traffic-calming measures which might save the historical monument. The council's stubborn refusal comes despite the fact that thousands of high-value houses have been built in the area, resulting in an unprecedented surge in local traffic along the narrow country roads surrounding the well.

The existence of the well on Gad Burn predates Wallace by several centuries, but the site gained national historical significance as the source of water from which Wallace drunk his final drink as a free man shortly before his capture nearby in August 1305. Exactly a century ago, funds raised by the local community and the American Wallace Society transformed the well and surrounding area into a beautifully landscaped attraction dedicated to the memory of Scotland's most famous warrior patriot.

The seeds of the well's demise were, however, sown in 1993 when it was quietly stripped of its protected status after Historic Scotland – supported by the Glasgow council – decided that the site was "of little historical interest". Many historians have since claimed that Historic Scotland's decision to remove the well's 'B'-listed status was wrong. Speaking in 1999, Dr Gilbert Bell, former curator at Springburn Museum and a local Robroyston historian, was dismissive of Historic Scotland's reasons for dropping the well's listed status. Dr Gilbert said:

"If Wallace stayed in the house [at Robroyston], that's where he would drink from.

All over Scotland there are Wallace wells and Wallace leaps, but this site is not disputed as he was captured there.

The site is every bit as important as Bannockburn and is part of Scotland's high road to independence."

The following poll was first run last year and, as of today, has almost 500 responses. I am re-releasing the poll. Please note that you may already have responded to the poll and, therefore, will not be able to vote again.

Attached Image

GG.

Attached thumbnail(s)

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 31st May 2011, 11:33pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
... Glasgow City Council ...

'nuff said. ph34r.gif

--------------------
Wait a minute ... I've got my eye on a burd.

... Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend ...

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 31st May 2011, 11:36pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,235
I've stated before that it's absurb that the powers to be wouldn't take care of this historical site..I also played there often as a child..and being as tourism is Scotland's largest money maker you'd think it would be given more of a priority!! Sad Sad Sad!!!

+Quote Post
chinscot
post 1st Jun 2011, 12:37am
Post #4

Visitor
Member No.: 906
I think no matter were you are all historical sites should be preserved otherwise to following generation will miss out as well as other generations to come. Look at whats been happening in China with the flooding of the Three Gorges many ancient villiages are under water history will be lost forever. Lets all get together and tell Council to protect your heritage.

+Quote Post
RonD
post 1st Jun 2011, 01:01am
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,783
The Glasgow council should hang their collective heads in shame.
Wallace and his history were the keystone that marked Scotland as a free and independent nation.

If the feeling is that it is of little historical importance, any right minded forward thinking council would take the opportunity to make it significant and profile a wonderful piece of the greater Glasgow history. If properly maintained it would a tourist draw like no other.

Like Wellfield I too remember Sunday evening walks past the well in the mid fifties. I was intrigued to find the place where a historical figure I learned about in school had been there.

--------------------
Bad luck, emotional blackmail, soppy sentiments, no matter what ! The chain letter stops here!

+Quote Post
RonD
post 1st Jun 2011, 01:03am
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,783
Possibly someone could start a fund in the area and solicit the council to help with signage and the new committee fund the wall repairs received from donations. I am sure if the word went out there would be enough "tenners" donated to get the thing done.

--------------------
Bad luck, emotional blackmail, soppy sentiments, no matter what ! The chain letter stops here!

+Quote Post
*Jim.C*
post 1st Jun 2011, 01:35am
Post #7

I am appalled at the behaviour of Historic Scotland by refusing to at least TRY and protect what little historical monuments and sites are left for our children and grandchildren to visit. It would appear that if it does not line the pockets of Historic Scotland then it is of no importance and should be left to rot or even demolish as we are seeing with the Wallace Well scenerio.

I wonder too if the directors and decision executives of this organization are located south of the border as they certainly seem to have that TO HECK WITH SCOTLAND attitude, how much money can we make? and if we can`t make any cash on the site, then who cares.
I can tell you this much, I CARE, and so do thousands of others, but then again, WE ARE SCOTTISH, and proud of it, too bad Historic Scotland doesn`t appear to have the same outlook .

Jim.C

+Quote Post
campsie
post 1st Jun 2011, 01:46am
Post #8

Super Resident
Member No.: 8,874
QUOTE (RonD @ 1st Jun 2011, 01:11am) *
Possibly someone could start a fund in the area and solicit the council to help with signage and the new committee fund the wall repairs received from donations. I am sure if the word went out there would be enough "tenners" donated to get the thing done.

I agree RonD that a fund would be the only way to keep this site from disappearing, all to often these important landmarks are lost for further generations, but it is the history of why they are important that is the shameful loss. Please let us know if a fund is started we would certainly donate to it.

Cheers Campsie

+Quote Post
Dunvegan
post 1st Jun 2011, 01:56am
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,038
One wonders at their penchant for destroying that which according to the online poll 99% of respondents regard this as a sacred trust. Even the English would preserve this as a heritage site.

+Quote Post
Waverley
post 1st Jun 2011, 04:34am
Post #10

Super Resident
Member No.: 4,832
I hope the citizens of Glasgow remember who these councillors are when its time for re-election. It's time to replace councillors who dont want to listen to the people.

+Quote Post
tarheels
post 1st Jun 2011, 05:49am
Post #11

City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,421
Here is a man that was torn apart to save scotland , by the bruce , anything that this man has done in the past should be sacred , i live in calif. usa , but i honor this man , by blood i am part scout an proud of it , your councel should stand tall , what if wallace hadn't stood up to the bruce , where would you be now , wallace should have a monument in his honor an for all scotland. wub.gif
clarence potter sr
ojai calif.

--------------------
lang may yer lum reek

+Quote Post
droschke7
post 1st Jun 2011, 06:21am
Post #12

Lord Provost
Member No.: 128
The councillors are obviously too busy grabbing as much cash from the council coffers as they can to be bothered with trivial things such as what their constituants want SHAME ON YOU!!! Glasgow Councillors.

+Quote Post
*Duncan Fenton*
post 1st Jun 2011, 08:16am
Post #13

As a member of the Society of William Wallace, I attended that commemoration in 1999 & spoke with Dr. Bell afterwards. Since then, I have been corresponding with Hist. Scot. to attempt to get them to see the error of their ways & to re-list the well. After many years of trying to get other bodies to exert some influence on them, they still will not budge.

I have also written to the City Council on many occasions about the damage surrounding the well, suggesting various road safety measures that could be used to make the site more pedestrian-friendly. They rejected them all. The only concession I got was to change the "Give Way" sign to a larger one. I requested a "Stop" sign, but was told you need special permission from the Secretery of State for Scotland for that!!

In the last few months, however, it seems they are putting plans in place for a way of protecting the wall before it is rebuilt, & a general upgrade of the well area. We will be keeping watch with interest.

Through the efforts of valued friends, the site surrounding the monument itself is now looking better than it has for many years, after decades of neglect & indifference from the council.

+Quote Post
nippynell
post 1st Jun 2011, 09:29am
Post #14

Special Visitor
Member No.: 9,094
QUOTE (RonD @ 1st Jun 2011, 01:09am) *
The Glasgow council should hang their collective heads in shame.
Wallace and his history were the keystone that marked Scotland as a free and independent nation.
If the feeling is that it is of little historical importance, any right minded forward thinking council would take the opportunity to make it significant and profile a wonderful piece of the greater Glasgow history. If properly maintained it would a tourist draw like no other.

Like Wellfield I too remember Sunday evening walks past the well in the mid fifties. I was intrigued to find the place where a historical figure I learned about in school had been there.

Forget about them lowering their heads in shame! THEY OUGHT TO BE HUNG!!!!! mad.gif and I'm in total agreement with you it would be a fantastic tourist attraction like no other... what in God's name does this so-called SCOTTISH council think they're playing at??? huh.gif

+Quote Post
**greta**
post 1st Jun 2011, 09:53am
Post #15

I too am appalled at a labour run council for neglecting this site, maybe its time for a change. I also cant understand historic Scotland (who I am usually a fan of) not protecting this site. It is my understanding that they are responsible for Scotlands historic past, but it does not look like it on this occasion. Maybe they are only interested in the sites that bring them in cash. I would both welcome and pay into a fund for the well and would also donate some of my time, in order to help with the project. Would be willing to help with the re-building of the wall. But in the end you still need this place protected by historic Scotland. So maybe we should gather up a petition for it. Like many Glasgow youngsters my Mother took us to the well to throw coppers in and make a wish, as I am sure her granny did with her. It wasent far to go as we were all born in Robroyston. We must do something about this, or we will lose part of our national heritage, after all Wallace gave up his life for us "the people", think its the least we can do.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.