Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Plant Street
Ruchazie Rat
post 7th Mar 2014, 04:45pm
Post #16

City Key Holder
Member No.: 25,702
QUOTE (Andy647 @ 15th Jul 2010, 07:48pm) *
I am trying to uncover some memories of Plant Street in Glasgow, which I've seen mentioned previously in passing in a thread about Duke Street.

My mum and her two brothers were all born there between 1930 and 1933 at 45 Plant Street, but sadly they are all now dead and there is no one left in the immediate family with links to our Glaswegian roots.

A couple of years ago on a trip north I called by for a look as the street appeared to be on the Glasgow A-Z, but there was nothing left there apart from a few cobbles.

I'd love to know more about the street and what it was like - my grandparents moved to Yorkshire to look for work but my grandma died a couple of years later from TB so that time in Plant Street was the only time they had togeteher as a family.

Any info gratefully received!

I think this might be the street you`re looking for. Re Cah-Ma-Giro`s recent photos. Here`s one more in keeping with the timeframe I think you`re looking for.

Attached Image

I`ve circled what I believe is Plant Street. Taken in 1935. The photo points east. Today, the John Wheatley East End Campus sits in place of that row of shops in Cash-Ma-Giro`s fist photo, (they`re on the background right-side, obscured by trees).
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 5th Nov 2014, 10:23am
Post #17

I was born at number 33. At one time my whole family of cousins aunts and uncles occupied every level of the close. I was Marie McCormick then. I have many happy memories of plant street.

+Quote Post
hilarycustancegr...
post 26th Jan 2015, 10:06pm
Post #18

Unpacking
Member No.: 28,581
Hi, I'm looking for a family that used to live in Plant Street during WWII. They were Gilbert Black Douglas, his wife Tina, and their son Neil. Gilbert – Gibby – was a prisoner in the Far East with my father and worked on the Thailand-Burma Railroad. Tina wrote many letters to my mother Phyllis Baker.

I am writing the story of 27 Line Section, Royal Corps of Signals. This was made up of 69 men all captured at the Fall of Singapore. Many of them were from Glasgow and members of the Scottish Reservists. Many worked for the post office.

A list of the men of 27 Line section can be found at http://greenwritingroom.com/wwii-far-easte...7-line-section/

Please respond to this if you think you can help.

+Quote Post
Andy647
post 12th Oct 2015, 02:33pm
Post #19

Unpacking
Member No.: 8,697
Hi thanks for the replies to my original post - sorry I haven't responded before.

Good to see the photo of the street.

My family who lived at no 45 in 1930 were Bill and Mary Hamilton and their children May (my mother) and Gordon. Another brother, Bill, was born a bit later. They moved away in about 1934 I think

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.