Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Litter On Streets, Where Is Council Tax Going
partickbloke
post 20th Dec 2015, 11:49am
Post #1

Unpacking
Member No.: 32,411
Living in Partick I have to walk past loads of unpicked litter.
Im going to upload photos, Ive emailed my MSP Sandra WhiteI go past the same litter day after day , sometimes it sits for weeks, I do pick up some.
Partick has a very dense population due to high rise buildings at Glasgow harbour and tenements, so the council tax take must be much more than lower populated areas, but they are not spending it on street cleaning here

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
partickbloke
post 20th Dec 2015, 11:55am
Post #2

Unpacking
Photo just off Dumbarton road near partick train station.

Then a photo near Glasgow harbour. Both bins missing every street in partick is the same, unpicked litter left for weeks

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
partickbloke
post 20th Dec 2015, 12:27pm
Post #3

Unpacking
Just at corner of rosevale st near roundabout, milk carton had been there for three weeks.

Other photo is entrance to Glasgow harbour, rubbish left and right, plus when you go through tunnel more rubbish at other side

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
GG
post 21st Dec 2015, 12:18am
Post #4

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
The dog dirt bag disposal seems to be a problem all over the city. In 2011, inept Glasgow Labour councillors announced that any dog owner who stayed in a council house risked losing their home in the crackdown on dog fouling. Unlike other councils, though, who took less draconian – but more effective – measures, Glasgow city council did not roll out an effective policy of installing additional 'dog dirt bins' to supplement the normal litter bins. The result was that dog owners used normal litter bins for dog dirt, which led to over-filled and foul-smelling bins, which became a health hazard, especially during the summer months.

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
GenghisKhant
post 23rd Dec 2015, 06:04pm
Post #5

Unpacking
Member No.: 32,402
partickbloke

Unfortunately.., it's not just Partick that is suffering from unsightly litter in Glasgow.., many places within Glasgow suffer similar issues.

In Shawlands - especially around the Academy area - the litter problem is getting unmanageable.

The main problems here is the number of takeaway's in the area that open up at lunch-time. Empty pizza boxes..., polystyrene chip boxes..., empty cans litter the area daily. Main problem is twofold:

1. Current small litter bins on lampposts get filled quickly. Unfortunately the emptying cycle does not match the filling cycle and overspill blows around the streets. Guess what? It rains in Glasgow!!!

2. Rain soaked cardboard cartons block the drains causing large puddles and inconvenience to the public.

The remedy is very simple however, the Council appear not to have the common sense to undertake simple maintenance activity ensuring that waste generated is managed properly and that blocked street drains are cleared regularly, especially during the leaf fall period.

I have found one positive item with the Council, and that is their app where you can identify an issue and the location..., send in a report and photo from your phone..., and they have to take appropriate action as your complaint is registered and numbered. They also respond when they have completed the job. This appears to work well in south Glasgow as all pot holes...., fly tipping ..., graffiti..., damage street lamps..., overfilled rubbish containers etc. that I have reported have received suitable action to sort the issue. If you haven't tried it give it a go and see what happens.

+Quote Post
marydee
post 23rd Dec 2015, 07:31pm
Post #6

City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,766
The main problem seems not to be the lunchtime takeaways but rather their clatty customers who toss their wrappings away. Make littering an offence, police it properly and make it as anti social as spitting in the street.

+Quote Post
partickbloke
post 24th Dec 2015, 07:43am
Post #7

Unpacking
QUOTE (GenghisKhant @ 23rd Dec 2015, 06:12pm) *
partickbloke

Unfortunately.., it's not just Partick that is suffering from unsightly litter in Glasgow.., many places within Glasgow suffer similar issues.

In Shawlands - especially around the Academy area - the litter problem is getting unmanageable.

The main problems here is the number of takeaway's in the area that open up at lunch-time. Empty pizza boxes..., polystyrene chip boxes..., empty cans litter the area daily. Main problem is twofold:

1. Current small litter bins on lampposts get filled quickly. Unfortunately the emptying cycle does not match the filling cycle and overspill blows around the streets. Guess what? It rains in Glasgow!!!

2. Rain soaked cardboard cartons block the drains causing large puddles and inconvenience to the public.

The remedy is very simple however, the Council appear not to have the common sense to undertake simple maintenance activity ensuring that waste generated is managed properly and that blocked street drains are cleared regularly, especially during the leaf fall period.

I have found one positive item with the Council, and that is their app where you can identify an issue and the location..., send in a report and photo from your phone..., and they have to take appropriate action as your complaint is registered and numbered. They also respond when they have completed the job. This appears to work well in south Glasgow as all pot holes...., fly tipping ..., graffiti..., damage street lamps..., overfilled rubbish containers etc. that I have reported have received suitable action to sort the issue. If you haven't tried it give it a go and see what happens.

Thanks i have found the app, so will start using it.
The bins overflowing with dog dirt still have not been emptied as of wed 23, i took the photo on fri 18th, so it looks like the council is Leaving our bins un emptied for weeks at a time

+Quote Post
partickbloke
post 24th Dec 2015, 07:45am
Post #8

Unpacking
Heres the report litter etc link.
Please use it, you pay council tax, help glasgow to solve the uncollecred litter crisis.

https://www.glasgow.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1160

+Quote Post
GenghisKhant
post 24th Dec 2015, 05:28pm
Post #9

Unpacking
Member No.: 32,402
partickbloke

Your "The main problem seems not to be the lunchtime takeaways but rather their clatty customers who toss their wrappings away. Make littering an offence, police it properly and make it as anti social as spitting in the street."

I hear what you say regarding clatty customers and agree that there are many inconsiderate people who discard their litter without thought for others. The problem is exacerbated by the inappropriate (small) sizes of litter bins in areas where large amounts of waste are generated. The school pupils take the easy route..., bin full..., stack the boxes on top. In their minds they have disposed of the rubbish correctly. Along comes the wind and blows all rubbish around the street. I have spoken to the head teacher about the problem and the school does regularly remind the pupils of their social responsibility. More scheduled emptying of the bins would go a long way to solving these type issues that are prevalent across Glasgow. One other area that raises an issue and that is the role of "street sweepers". We used to have a guy with a trolley and two square bins who would tour the district covering most of the area at least once a week. He would sweep the gutters ensuring that the drains (stanks) were kept clear of rubbish, and empty the lamp post bins leaving the plastic bags for the other operators to collect in their vans. Our sweeper appears to have moved north into the Strathbungo/Queens Park area which I have to say is one of the cleanest areas I have seen in Glasgow. Proof that the use of a permanent street sweeper role works. We need the Council to get back to basics..., review the management/staffing of the Cleansing Department and re-introduce street cleaners/sweepers Glasgow-wide.

+Quote Post
*Talisman*
post 24th Dec 2015, 10:16pm
Post #10

I have recently returned from Viet Nam, traveling the length of the country.

Viet Nam although attracting many foreign tourists is not party-party land unlike other S.E. Asian destinations. What impressed me was after 10 o'clock in the evening the streets would be swept, rubbish collected at central points, all possible recyclable material was collected and set aside. When all garbage was gathered, mainly by hand and broom trucks then came and loaded it up and transported it to waste disposal dumps.

I do not seek to compare the economies of scale with Glasgow, however take Singapore and Kuala Lumpur with concentrated high density living, this level of garbage in the streets would not only not be tolerated but would incur massive penalties.

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st Nov 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.