Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

34 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Glasgow To Lose Burrell Collection, Sir William Burrell's wishes to be discarded
*GovanBhoy*
post 22nd Sep 2013, 04:30pm
Post #91

Like others I too am wondering whether this process is legal. If somebody benefits from the conditions of a contract and then alters those conditions to suit their own wishes then can't the contract be ended? I realise that it may be more complex than this, but the question is are the Burrell family able to take action to recover the collection, or can another city that could have benefited from the donation now make their case?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GG
post 22nd Sep 2013, 11:04pm
Post #92

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
I thought I would post the basic country-specific statistics related to the poll in this topic. Glasgow Guide forum polls employ the latest online polling authentication and security features, and are handled by an external provider over which GG (me) has no control. The basic country breakdown of this poll is given below:

Attached Image

According to Bridget McConnell, Glasgow Life chief executive, the online poll conducted by that company showed that "69% of respondents were in favour of the proposals", although that figure was subsequently revised down to 56% by a member of the company's external legal team. Either way, it's a long way off our 4%, which is likely to have included a more diverse and numerous audience.

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 23rd Sep 2013, 01:07pm
Post #93

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
QUOTE (GG @ 22nd Sep 2013, 11:02pm) *
... According to Bridget McConnell, Glasgow Life chief executive, the online poll conducted by that company showed that "69% of respondents were in favour of the proposals" ...
GG.

Maybe she just got her eyes and nose mixed up ... sorry I meant her "Ayes" and "Naws" laugh.gif

Her 69% in favour equalled the 69% against on this poll which leads to the question:
Were those polled online by Glasgow Life, perhaps potential recipients of various parts of the collection during the Roof Restoration period of 5 years?

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
Betsy2009
post 23rd Sep 2013, 02:14pm
Post #94

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 25,701
Now there's a true cynic!!!

+Quote Post
Scotsman
post 23rd Sep 2013, 03:04pm
Post #95

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,353
When I click the Result button I see that its 96% of people who said no.... am I seeing it different from everyone else?? eyebrow.gif

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 23rd Sep 2013, 03:53pm
Post #96

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Scotsman @ 23rd Sep 2013, 04:02pm) *
When I click the Result button I see that its 96% of people who said no.... am I seeing it different from everyone else?? eyebrow.gif

Beg your pardon, Scotsman. I always get it mixed up wi' the German ... 96 is sechs-und-neunzig; which my addled brain interprets back into English as Sechsty-neun laugh.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”

+Quote Post
Scotsman
post 23rd Sep 2013, 04:14pm
Post #97

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,353
Ha!! Well your German is better than mine I can say that. wink.gif As for....

Were those polled online by Glasgow Life, perhaps potential recipients of various parts of the collection during the Roof Restoration period of 5 years?

Where else could they possibly find more than half of the people in favour of Glasgow losing out on the jewel in the crown of its culture. Think of all the people who go there regularly and are going to be shut out for 5 years. And what about tourism in Glasgow.... surely its going to get hit as well. Does not make sense to give this up. wacko.gif

"Aye just take whit ye want and leave us the scraps!!" said the clueless Glasgow museum man to the fat American with the big wallet.

+Quote Post
*NorrieT*
post 24th Sep 2013, 01:45am
Post #98

I'd be interested to know what people think about this point. What if the collection is moved from the Pollok Park and never comes back there? They could put some of the works there as there from the ones in storage but what if the best items stay on tour or are shifted into a new location in the city centre which is where the council wants everything to be?

+Quote Post
carmella
post 24th Sep 2013, 04:25am
Post #99

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
QUOTE (GG @ 23rd Sep 2013, 12:02am) *
I thought I would post the basic country-specific statistics related to the poll in this topic. Glasgow Guide forum polls employ the latest online polling authentication and security features, and are handled by an external provider over which GG (me) has no control. The basic country breakdown of this poll is given below:

Attached Image

According to Bridget McConnell, Glasgow Life chief executive, the online poll conducted by that company showed that "69% of respondents were in favour of the proposals", although that figure was subsequently revised down to 56% by a member of the company's external legal team. Either way, it's a long way off our 4%, which is likely to have included a more diverse and numerous audience.

GG

When I saw this, all it tells me is that it has absolutely nothing to do with these countries - Glasgow is the only country I believe should have a say! It also tells me, if you look right down the poll - these countries don't give a damn about our Burrell Collection - and why should they!!!

--------------------
It is possible to fail in many ways...while to succeed is possible only in one way.
- Aristotle

+Quote Post
GG
post 24th Sep 2013, 06:57am
Post #100

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Hi Carmella,

Thanks, I absolutely agree with you that Glasgow (and Glaswegians) are the only ones who should have a say in deciding this very, very important matter to the city of Glasgow. The range of countries given probably shows where our Glaswegian expats on the board are located ... Sir William gifted this amazing collection to us all .... and I am pleased to give Glaswegian expats a say. Personally, and opinion may differ here, I believe that all Glaswegians – whether at home or abroad – have an innate right to have a meaningful and decisive say on the future of the Burrell Collection. Right now, that future is being decided in a plush committee room in Edinburgh by a select group of people who are not Glaswegians, and most of whom are from the very upper reaches of class and privilege in Scotland and England. It is shameful, absolutely shameful, that this is happening, and our media is fully and completely complicit in this monumental act of grand larceny from a city's people.

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 24th Sep 2013, 08:12am
Post #101

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
Of course this isn't the only GG poll that gives a closer representation of public opinion, so i suppose it's figures will be rubbished and ignored as well.

Any chance of the person who voted in the unknown A1 country could post in and tell us just exactly where in the World they are?

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 24th Sep 2013, 08:18am
Post #102

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,545
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 24th Sep 2013, 08:10am) *
Any chance of the person who voted in the unknown A1 country could post in and tell us just exactly where in the World they are?

Well the only country i can think of that doesn't 'exist' is... er Scotland wink.gif

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 24th Sep 2013, 10:49am
Post #103

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
Or even England tongue.gif

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 24th Sep 2013, 11:44am
Post #104

Mega City Key Holder
Well I'm obviously the 0.25% who's third from the bottom; bad place to be at anytime rolleyes.gif ... so it's no' me from A1 ... although Germany seems to be Europe's A1 nowadays. tongue.gif
I heartily agree with GG's comment though which refers to posh neighbours being in a position to give away our own family silver.
There must be a way that this can be nipped in the bud.

--------------------

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 24th Sep 2013, 01:04pm
Post #105

"... from the very upper reaches of class and privilege in Scotland and England".

Could Sir William Burrell have been described thus?

+Quote Post

34 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th Feb 2020

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.