Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Commissioner Criticises Scotland's Attitude To Smacking
john.mcn
post 16th Jul 2017, 08:24pm
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,545

Has anyone ever wondered who the hell are these people?

A quick sharp smack is an instant punishment and teaches a child where they went wrong and can bring them back under control, what do they expect parents do to a child who tries to bolt across the road in front of cars, sit them down and explain the concept of velocity + mass = a very hurt or dead child. A child understands pain before they understand language, they will only touch a hot radiator once and remember what 'burny' feels like so not only will they not do that again the word burny will ensure something doesn't get touched.

As for his view about criminal responsibility, 18??? is he having a laugh, has he never experienced a gang of drunk teenagers, does he really want them untouchable..

Commissioner criticises Scotland's attitude to smacking

Scotland's new children's commissioner has criticised the country's attitude towards smacking.
Bruce Adamson said the view that it was acceptable for a parent or carer "to assault a child for the purpose of physical punishment" was "untenable in international human rights terms".
A consultation is under way on a Green MSP's proposals to ban parents from smacking their children.
The Scottish government has said it has no plans to introduce legislation.
However, it added it did not support physical punishment of children.
In an extended interview with BBC Radio's Good Morning Scotland programme, Mr Adamson said that Scotland had been "routinely condemned" over equal protection of children from violence by "all of the UN human rights committees, at the Council of Europe and the EU".
He said: "There are some things where Scotland is doing very, very well and there are some things that are absolutely shocking, where Scotland is coming last in the world.
"We still in Scotland say that it's okay for a parent or carer to assault a child for the purpose of physical punishment, and that that can be justified, which is just untenable in international human rights terms.
"I think it really goes against the basic values that we hold in Scotland in terms of human dignity and respect for children.
"So it is a very strange position we are in, where the government isn't supporting the change in the law at this stage, despite consistent international condemnation."
Law on smacking
In England, Wales and Northern Ireland there is no ban on smacking and parents are allowed to use "reasonable chastisement".
However, hitting a child so hard that it leaves a mark, or causes bruising, swelling cuts, grazes or scratches could result in criminal charges.
Under Scottish law, parents can claim a defence of "justifiable assault" when punishing their child.
But section 51 of the Criminal Justice (Scotland) Act 2003 prohibits the use of an "implement" in the punishment.
It also bans parents from shaking their child or striking them on their head.
The public consultation on smacking was launched in May, ahead of a proposed member's bill in the Scottish Parliament which aims to give children equal protection from assault.
The move by Highlands and Islands Green MSP John Finnie has been backed by a number of children's charities, as well as the Association of Scottish Police Superintendents.
A Scottish government spokesman said: "The Scottish government does not support physical punishment of children.
"We have no plans to introduce legislation in the area, but we will consider carefully the member's bill that we understand John Finnie intends to introduce.
"We continue to support positive parenting and we recognise that physical punishment can set children the wrong example and is not an effective way to teach children discipline."

During his interview with BBC Scotland, Mr Adamson also expressed disappointment at Scottish government plans to raise the age of criminal responsibility in Scotland from eight to 12, arguing that it should be "significantly higher".
He said: "The United Nations Committee on the Rights of the Child said 10 years ago that 12 was the absolute minimum, and that anything below 12 was absolutely unacceptable internationally.
"It is quite confusing to me that the debate in Scotland is now about moving it from eight to 12, which was the absolute minimum 10 years ago.
"I would like it significantly higher and I think there are some strong arguments for putting it as high as 18.
"But I think the real debate needs to be about where between 12 and 18 it sits - not between eight and 12."
He added: "I think it is disappointing that the government has only committed to move to the minimum standard as it was 10 years ago."

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 16th Jul 2017, 09:26pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
thumbup.gif

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
zascot
post 17th Jul 2017, 03:48pm
Post #3

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 612
If there is no statute of limitation then a lot of us are going tae the chookie.
biggrin.gif

--------------------
Take only photos. Leave only footprints. Kill only time.

+Quote Post
angel
post 17th Jul 2017, 04:37pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
QUOTE (zascot @ 17th Jul 2017, 02:48pm) *
If there is no statute of limitation then a lot of us are going tae the chookie.

biggrin.gif

I think that you maybe right zascot yes.gif , in my lifetime
I have found that the children who did not receive the
proverbial slap ??????? and then + another , were more
adjusted in there growing up and

did better in life than the kids who had parents who
took out their own frustrations on their children with more
than slaps .

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th Jul 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.