Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

14 Pages V  « < 10 11 12 13 14 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is Glasgow Miles More Miserable?, Another day ... another nutty claim!
angel
post 4th Sep 2017, 03:55pm
Post #166

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
QUOTE (kenb @ 4th Sep 2017, 02:14pm) *
droll he is not and i didnot ask foryour opinion it is well known amigo

As a member of this board , I will remind you that I am
entitled to post my opinion , as unfortunately do you .
and at this moment my opinion is that " it is time you grew up ."

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kenb
post 4th Sep 2017, 04:07pm
Post #167

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 11,294
QUOTE (angel @ 4th Sep 2017, 04:55pm) *
As a member of this board , I will remind you that I am
entitled to post my opinion , as unfortunately do you .
and at this moment my opinion is that " it is time you grew up ."

I DONT MIND YOUR OPINION I CAN GROW UP CAN YOU AMIGO

--------------------
WEY HEY

+Quote Post
angel
post 4th Sep 2017, 04:31pm
Post #168

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (kenb @ 4th Sep 2017, 04:07pm) *
I DONT MIND YOUR OPINION I CAN GROW UP CAN YOU AMIGO

Yes I can and I do , I'm not stuck in a time warp
I get on with my life...... again for your information
I am not an amigo I am an amiga .and also all of my friends
live in the real world , I don't depend on chat boards to chat .

--------------------
Pat.

+Quote Post
kenb
post 4th Sep 2017, 05:00pm
Post #169

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 11,294
ANGEL I WILL DO WHAT YOU DO AN PUT A FEW IMOJIS BETTER THAN THAT I WILL IGNORE YOU

--------------------
WEY HEY

+Quote Post
wombat
post 4th Sep 2017, 09:03pm
Post #170

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,196
QUOTE (angel @ 4th Sep 2017, 03:49pm) *
Well, why don't you throw him out
all by your big Brave Self .

rolleyes.gif they need a mob/ posse to do the job laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
the mighty only appear mighty
because YOU are on your knees.RISE UP.

wombat thit grates oan yie.

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 5th Sep 2017, 09:31pm
Post #171

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,412
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 4th Sep 2017, 01:55pm) *
Any city which could produce the likes of Billy Connolly and ... me :P
Can't be all bad :D

Hi TeeHeeHee. The following is not meant to stir things up. It is a factual account in one episode of Billy Connelly's relationship with Glasgow.

Many years ago, possibly the late 60's or early 70's, Billy Connelly wrote a stage play, entitled, "Me and My Sore Back, Tae." It was performed at the Pavilion Theatre in Glagow.

My wife and I bought tickets for the Circle, for the Saturday night performance.

On arrival, we were stopped from going upstairs to the Circle.We were ushered into seats in the Stalls, not of our choice, but ordered to sit in them. I mean ordered, not asked.

We were seated in about the third row from the back, near one end of the row. It soon became evident as to why this change of seating had come about. The nearest people sitting in front of us were in about the fourth row from the front. Then there was a big gap of empty rows. That was the total number of people for a show in Glasgow on a Saturday night!

We had obviously been spaced out deliberately to make the stalls look fuller in the dark.

Billy appeared in the show, which was based on a Glasgow family talking in the one room.

As I recall, the show was quite funny, but not funny enough to generate continuous laughter throughout.

When the show ended, the lights went on as usual, to enable us to make our exit. However, before we could move, Billy came storming to the front of the stage. Anger would be an understatement.
He poured bile at the audience, and said he would NEVER come back to Glasgow. (his emphasis not mine)

A couple of policemen arrived. He started to taunt them.

Many years later, when he was being offered the Freedom of Glasgow, I noticed he said he would have to think about it. I wonder if he thought back to that night at the Pavilion. Probably took the chance that most of that audience would be dead by now. Sorry Sir Billy, I am still here.

Regards

Danny

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 5th Sep 2017, 09:46pm
Post #172

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
Hi Danny,
Not many people know this (who said that? unsure.gif ) but there's actually two Billy Connollies.
One is the real genuine article whom we all love and admire and the other, an amazing look-a-like, is a proddy trying to get Billy a bad name yes.gif

You must have paid good money tae see the irra wan tongue.gif
Did ra Polis cairt ra bampot aff? laugh.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
angel
post 6th Sep 2017, 01:06am
Post #173

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 5th Sep 2017, 09:46pm) *
Hi Danny,
Not many people know this (who said that? unsure.gif ) but there's actually two Billy Connollies.
One is the real genuine article whom we all love and admire and the other, an amazing look-a-like, is a proddy trying to get Billy a bad name yes.gif

You must have paid good money tae see the irra wan tongue.gif
Did ra Polis cairt ra bampot aff?

Love it, love it , Love it ,

My husband and I along with a couple of Canadian friends
saw one of Billy Connolly's shows years ago here in Canada
it was money well spent , we enjoyed that show and sometimes
when we get together these days ,we can still laugh , and thank God, we
still have the ability to see oorselves as ithers see us .

As a Nation we are not really so perfect smile.gif

--------------------
Pat.

+Quote Post
taurus
post 6th Sep 2017, 06:32am
Post #174

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 12,391
Maybe early 60`s /70`s he wasn`t famous enough,and didn`t have the adoring fan base he now has. I can`t comment on how that played out,for I have been away so long,but I do know when I heard a cassette for the first time in the mid
70`s I had mixed feelings,I felt he would be an acquired taste, and was ultimately surprised that he caught on so well .Anyway,he`s filled theatres for years,me in the audience,enjoying every minute. So sad to see him recently,he would look 100% better if he would ditch that long creepy thin hair.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 6th Sep 2017, 06:49am
Post #175

Mega City Key Holder
Taurus, I've sat here sometimes on ma Jack wi' the earphones on at the other end of the house listening to the Big yin wae the tears runnin' doon ma cheeks. Mary has come to me from the living room where she's been watching her favourite show, probably Dance With Me, or somethin', tae pull the ear phones aff me and ask me tae keep the noise down and I'm geiin' it WHIT? tongue.gif

Remember as kids when we were oot playin' and pickin' sides and singing ...
Skinnymallinky Longlegs,
Big bannana boots,
Here comes the maister
And you are oot

Who else but Connolly came up wi' the idea tae walk onto a stage in his Big Bannana Boots? tongue.gif

The rest ae the world must have thought WHIT? tongue.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 6th Sep 2017, 08:01am
Post #176

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
Hi Tomi, Great to see you back, and in full flow ( or giein it laldy). Can I take it that the macular degeneration therapy has been a great success? Sure looks that way. Just back from 2 weeks in Denmark with a wee shopping day trip to Flensburg to stock up on goodies. The weather wasn't bad but mercifully a bit cooler than here. Keep up the fight!

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 6th Sep 2017, 09:52am
Post #177

Mega City Key Holder
It has been arrested, Bill, and not a moment too soon. I hadn't hoped for more and was given no guarantee but no one is happier with the outcome than I am.
Mary still thinks there was no success as I still see her as I saw her 28 years ago last weekend tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 6th Sep 2017, 10:14am
Post #178

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 5th Sep 2017, 10:46pm) *
Hi Danny,
Not many people know this (who said that? :unsure: ) but there's actually two Billy Connollies.
One is the real genuine article whom we all love and admire and the other, an amazing look-a-like, is a proddy trying to get Billy a bad name :yes:

You must have paid good money tae see the irra wan :P
Did ra Polis cairt ra bampot aff? :lol:

Hi TeeHeeHee

Your above post confirms the reason I was glad to welcome you back. HUMOUR!

Thank you.

Regards

Danny Harris

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 6th Sep 2017, 10:48am
Post #179

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (taurus @ 6th Sep 2017, 07:32am) *
Maybe early 60`s /70`s he wasn`t famous enough,and didn`t have the adoring fan base he now has. I can`t comment on how that played out,for I have been away so long,but I do know when I heard a cassette for the first time in the mid
70`s I had mixed feelings,I felt he would be an acquired taste, and was ultimately surprised that he caught on so well .Anyway,he`s filled theatres for years,me in the audience,enjoying every minute. So sad to see him recently,he would look 100% better if he would ditch that long creepy thin hair.

Hello Taurus

Thank you for your thoughtful response to my post. Much appreciated.

I have laughed at 'The Big Yin' on many occasion.

In my humble opion it was his appearance on the Parkinson show that started him on the road to Universal fame. He shocked and delighted Parkinson with his humour and use of foul language.
He later appeared on TV, performing in front of an audience full of celebrities from screen, TV, and the media. They lapped up his style of humour including the foul language.

Then Billy went to America. Noted for its strict code of banning the use of foul language. He was accepted, and became a great success. Americans started to copy him.

I have a couple of his DVD's. I had an L.P. of his, made in the early days of his career. No foul language. It was brilliant. Now and then, when I am in company, I tell them one of his stories.
It went like this.

He had been out for a drink. On the way home, he put a kerry oot in his pocket. It was a bottle of alchohol. He went in for a fish supper. Coming out of the shop, he noticed a big guy knocking lumps out of a wee guy.

Billy went up to the big guy and said, "Hey, Big Yin, pick on somebody your own size".

The assailant replies, "Whit are you gonnae dae aboot it"!

Billy replies, "Al show you whit al dae"

So, then Billy relates that he pulled his kerry oot, oot of his pocket, smashed the bottle against a wall, and was left holding the cork!

I worked for a number of years in an engineering factory, and did two years National Service. I am sure you will be well aware that foul language was the norm for many people employed in those areas. However, for most this language stopped outside the factory gates and the barracks.
Now, sadly, in my opinion, it is now an accepted way of commmunication.

Regards

Danny

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 6th Sep 2017, 12:36pm
Post #180

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (DannyH @ 6th Sep 2017, 11:14am) *
Hi TeeHeeHee

Your above post confirms the reason I was glad to welcome you back. HUMOUR!

Thank you.

Regards

Danny Harris

Gonyersel' Danny,

I'm beginning to wonder tho' if Ah've mibies no' left it a bit late in tryin' to revive what used to be the norm on these boards. unsure.gif
Ah'm seein' whit's lookin' close tae bare-knuckle events takin' place here from people who really should know better.

I see people whom I've always classed as friends on here going for each other's throats as if they were settling differences ootside the Blantyre Miners Welfare on a Saturday night ... and that was a Social Club.

These boards were loved and enjoyed by people longer in the tooth than me who whooped with joy when Martin the Moderator got it up and running again after the Great Crash ... long before my time.

I remember well the days when Tommy Kennedy, RIP, could keep us in stitches with his piss-takes, inuendos, and insinuations; all done in the best possible taste rolleyes.gif I used to think that if he ever stopped noising me up, it would probably mean I've upset him laugh.gif

I've seen one friend on here suggest that another gets banned by Martin.

Whether he's right or not how would we feel if Martin one day arrived at the thought, Aw bugger it.
and just threw in the towel?

In case anyone thinks that could never happen ... don't be so sure.

I would suggest some of my friends take a cooling off period to meditate on why we all come onto this site ... so long as it still exists.

As a famous singer once sang "If you can't say something good - don't say anything at all."

Or as the Big Yin would have put it in the most elegant of Clyde Side manner ...

SHUT YER FACE YOU biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

14 Pages V  « < 10 11 12 13 14 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th Aug 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.