Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Glasgow Stutters To A Winter Standstill, 'Perfect Storm' grips city (photo special)
benny
post 10th Dec 2010, 10:30am
Post #31

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,059
Naw, but ye get aw thae nasty poisonous spiders an snakes, Rob. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Derea derego fortibus es in aro
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jamjar51
post 10th Dec 2010, 03:05pm
Post #32

Lord Provost
Member No.: 9,205
They reckon coldest December for a hundred years. Towns closed down, traffic abandoned. chaos across the whole country and the big freeze hammered us from tip to toe. Auld people freezing to death in their beds and in the street. Food shortages, fuel crisis as transport frozen oot of large swathes of the country.

No a lot of good so far fae this 'Global Warming.'

+Quote Post
Mathieson
post 10th Dec 2010, 04:49pm
Post #33

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,207
This Stewart Stevenson, the SNP's Transport and Infrastructure Minister deserved a good stiff kick in the haw maws. On TV on Monday night he claimed his department's response had been "first class" and refused to apologise for the lack of pre-planning and handling of the developing crisis. Next morning (presumably after Shrek Salmond had administered the said kick in the haw maws) he was full of apologies for not getting it right.
So, he either knew the situation and was lying on Monday night or he didn't know, which was basically incompetence on the part of a supposed minister in charge.
He also tried to blame the forecasters, which was wrong of him and it now appears from today's papers that he ignored significant recommendations that landed on his desk in August and based on the difficulties that last year's weather posed for us.
Where do they get these eejits? Is it too much to expect that we could have somebody who actually knows what they are doing in charge of various government departments?
On Monday it took me 5 hours to complete a journey that normally takes 35-40 minutes and I was comparitively lucky compared to many people. In that period I saw many a vehicle fitted with a plough but not one was actually ploughing - they were all up off the ground - and I travelled over many roads and doubt if a single one had been gritted in th eprevious 25 hours.
Of course the weather was worse than what we would normally expect to see but after last winter's experience we could have expected that gritters would be mobilised as soon as the forecast tells us to expect adverse conditions and ploughs to be applied in the manner they are in other countries who often get it far worse than we do.
I predicted that as soon as the thaw started we would not get moving for gritters and ploughs and that's what's now happening.

+Quote Post
Rab-oldname
post 10th Dec 2010, 10:08pm
Post #34

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 413
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Heather
post 10th Dec 2010, 10:33pm
Post #35

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
It was on the STV news yesterday and in todays Evening Times that people were being charged £150 to reclaim the cars they abandoned in the snow, because Central Scotland Police uplifted them when the roads were being cleared.

Traffic Wardens are also putting 'tickets' on abandoned cars. wub.gif

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
Mathieson
post 10th Dec 2010, 10:40pm
Post #36

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,207
What exactly were the authorities expecting drivers to do? Stick with their cars in freezing conditions till they (the authorities) decided to eventually get their fingers out their arse and clear the snow? Seems like a bit of a double whammy to not provide clear roads for the public then hit them again with a fine for not being able to get their cars clear.

+Quote Post
Heather
post 10th Dec 2010, 10:46pm
Post #37

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
It's a disgrace treating the motorists like that considering the dreadful weather we have had to suffer.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
GG
post 10th Dec 2010, 11:36pm
Post #38

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Hi Heather,

As you said, it appears that Central Scotland Police involved in this. Here's an official statement put out by the force explaining their procedures:

"We are not aware of this case as the woman concerned has not complained to us and we urge her to contact us.

We recognise that motorists faced exceptional circumstances on Monday and we do not wish to add any further inconvenience to what was a very difficult day. However our priority was to make the roads as safe as possible and to ensure public safety.

Motorists who were stuck were advised to remain with their vehicles so we could assist them when we reached them though we recognise that on Monday that was taking a greater length of time than we wished.

Vehicles which had been abandoned were removed as we required clear access for snow ploughs and gritters to carry out their work to reopen the motorway. Had we allowed abandoned vehicles to remain where their owners had left them this would have further delayed the motorway reopening and caused greater inconvenience for all others who were delayed.

We accept that these were exceptional circumstances and would reiterate our earlier comments asking the person concerned to speak with us directly so that we can examine the full circumstances of the matter."

As for the police in Glasgow, Strathclyde Police:

"There are currently approximately 60 cars on the hard shoulders of the M74, M8 and M80. These vehicles were abandoned by drivers who unfortunately became stuck in the snow and ice. Owners were advised at that time, not to return to try to remove their vehicles as conditions were too dangerous.

"The weather and road conditions have improved slightly and Strathclyde Police officers will now assist motorists to safely recover their vehicles. Owners are asked to contact a temporary telephone number which has been set up. The telephone number is 0141 445 2845 and is only for owners of abandoned vehicles."

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
GG
post 10th Dec 2010, 11:47pm
Post #39

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
In Glasgow city centre today, where the conditions were still treacherous in places, probably THE worst spot was the footpath on the Cathedral Street bridge, used by thousands of people of all ages every day. Conditions were just appalling, with wet ice on solid snow – no gritting.

After struggling over the footpath it was 'comforting' to see two council litter wardens (tourist guides) hiding behind stationary traffic waiting to pounce on the customers of a nearby fast-food outlet, should they drop any litter!

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
mitchell
post 11th Dec 2010, 06:02am
Post #40

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,377
Do they still put salt on the roads?

As for the pimpernel litter officers, great xmas spirit the council have.

+Quote Post
pedropresley
post 11th Dec 2010, 12:17pm
Post #41

Unpacking
Member No.: 9,037
If only I was young again i would be off to pastures new this great Britain aint so great any more, seems all this government can think about is lining their own pockets .To fine the motorists is an absolute disgrace. but then who voted them in? the people with money to spare of course, back to the rich get richer and the poor get poorer, nothing changes with the tories.

+Quote Post
Rab-oldname
post 11th Dec 2010, 01:01pm
Post #42

Mega City Key Holder
A few observations.
1. Why do people accept everything they read in the 'news'papers at face value.
2. You can't have it both ways. The roads must be kept unobstructed for obvious reasons - would you like to drive into an unlit abandoned vehicle on a motorway?. One can accept that vehicles had to be removed once the roads were cleared - how else could the roads/motorways be re-opened as safe? This is not to say that motorists were actually charged for their cars removal. I would be happy to stand corrected if they were.
3. I would gladly welcome some litter wardens where I live! If you want your city to look like a slum, fair enough.
4. In the old days, premises owners would clear the pavements outside their property - why not now?
5. Lack of pavement gritting is simply a disgrace in a modern city.

+Quote Post
Rab-oldname
post 11th Dec 2010, 01:07pm
Post #43

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (mitchell @ 11th Dec 2010, 06:23am) *
Do they still put salt on the roads?

As for the pimpernel litter officers, great xmas spirit the council have.

So, just because its Christmas we can all go out and litter the streets, break laws and commit anti-social offences? I am astonished at this comment.

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 11th Dec 2010, 01:38pm
Post #44

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
QUOTE (Rab @ 11th Dec 2010, 02:28pm) *
So, just because its Christmas we can all go out and litter the streets, break laws and commit anti-social offences? I am astonished at this comment.

Any such leniency by the authorities - and I am strongly agin - should be available to people of all creeds, Christian festival or no. mad.gif

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
rossmckenzie
post 11th Dec 2010, 03:21pm
Post #45

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 849
Ok the UK and in particular Scotland has not dealt well with the events of this week...I was stuck in Edinburgh for a few days ,eventually got back to Glasgow...just had to walk everywhere cos buses did not run and when they did you could not get on...no big deal for me,ano for the older generation it musta been bad...a would see pensioners slip sliding past at 8am....eh why you out if you don't have to be!If I coud have been home I would have been......Been probably the coldest week I have ever experienced but man it brought out the best in loadsa people....so many laughs with people at bus stops and that..slipped on my arse a few times,still got the bruises...and gave a few people a laugh..yeh its been bad but we dealt with it....must admit I think our politicians have been pathetic...squirming around trying to justify why they failed to admit there was a problem.....
In the old days, premises owners would clear the pavements outside their property - why not now?loved this comment when a saw the minister responsible for these things being interviewed..as part of the big society we should all be doing this ..presenter said eh...if you do that and someone slips,you can be sued....minister virtually froze.eh! em! oh! ah!..thats a sad reflection on our society today....who brought in the laws.....

--------------------
Abair ach beagan is abair gu math e

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Dec 2014

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.