Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

10 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Council 'Jobs For The Boys'?, Complaint over ex-MSP appointment
JAGZ1876
post 21st Jul 2012, 05:26pm
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 21st Jul 2012, 02:45pm) *
jagz what has this got to do with this man getting a job?
Are you making a point?

I am making a point Jupiter, and the point is that the people who voted Labour back into power (i know you didn't Mary) knew exactly what they were getting in return, party and self interest first public second, Bullish and threatening behaviour, nepotism and of course the current debate Cronyism.

The ex Labour minister Tom McCabe got interviewed for the job as policy advisor to Land and Environmental services in Glasgow City Council, a job that pays a salary of almost £50,000, a job that he was awarded less than 24 hours after being interviewed, a job that's supposed to be non-political, will he be able to put the interests of the people of Glasgow before the interests of the Labour party?

Jobs for the boys.....You bet, but if the council can prove that this was all above board and that the post was advertised and how many other applicants were interviewed, then i shall eat humble pie and apologise on this board
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 21st Jul 2012, 05:48pm
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
"Jobs for the boys.....You bet, but if the council can prove that this was all above board and that the post was advertised and how many other applicants were interviewed, then i shall eat humble pie and apologise on this board" Jagz

That would prove absolutely nothing. Many years ago I worked for a nationalised company, who circulated all posts vacant on a weekly basis. It was common knowledge that decisions were made long before the sham interviews were held. I can vouch for this, a I applied for quite a few and was granted interviews, although I had no chance. On the other hand, on the occasions where I did get promotions, I was told by my superiors to make my application. I doubt that things have changed.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 21st Jul 2012, 05:49pm
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
JAGZ,very interesting post and Im glad you have put these additional facts re the interview and appointment.You appear to be more aux fait with issues such as bullying and threats as well as Cronyism.I think the SNP will keep the pressure on so it might be a case of watch this space.

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 21st Jul 2012, 05:50pm
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12,899
I must be very naive cos i thought jobs for the boys was pretty well established in politics and especially local politics, quangos and all that sort of stuff. For 50,000 quid i would have thought there would have been a long queue ootside the city chambers of well qualified folks keen to take on this job. However just maybe this guy is good, time will tell, but it sure as hell looks pretty dubious and i would tend to agree with the snp

--------------------
ave got my opinion as well

+Quote Post
droschke7
post 21st Jul 2012, 06:01pm
Post #20

Lord Provost
Member No.: 128
SNP are just annoyed that one of Their guys didn't get the job

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 21st Jul 2012, 06:11pm
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
Is that what it is ?

+Quote Post
droschke7
post 21st Jul 2012, 06:14pm
Post #22

Lord Provost
Member No.: 128
Been thinking about this, at the last election less than 45% of scots voted, the SNP got about 40% of those votes this means that less than 20% of the country voted for the SNP and they are "running" the country? I think they have a damned cheek complaining about anything.

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 21st Jul 2012, 06:21pm
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
I dont think they are complaining merely asking for an explanation in order to clear up an issue of public concern/interest.

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 21st Jul 2012, 06:31pm
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
I assume that Droschke thinks that one of the other parties with lower results should be running the country. I do not expect unbiased views on this board, and he has not disappointed me.

Is he assuming that the large percentage of non-voters were of his political persuasion ? If so, why did they not exercise their right ? Are they incapable of making a simple "X"? rolleyes.gif

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/special/election...ml/scotland.stm

See above voting statistics.

I apologise for being off-topic but a big boy started it and ran away ! laugh.gif

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
seamus1954
post 21st Jul 2012, 11:03pm
Post #25

Lord Provost
Member No.: 13,082
Ahh , something That We also have Here , First of all power corrupts Complete power corrupts Completely , Nepotism ,cronyism and a favorite we have in America Lobyists Has ANYone ever seen a poor Politician ??? Those in power tend to weild that power forgetting those that put them in power untill Election time then lip service is given the populace who buy what they want to hear ,even with all that I think Freedom is the absolute greatest gift we have ,Our Politicans have Lifetime government paid Health Care package ,plus all the other perks that have "FOUND their way to them We had one Politican claim that he could NOT provide for His Family because after the expences He was left with ONLY 200.000 USD to live on !!!!!!!!!!! true story "things that make you go HUMM" In My OPINION Politicians are as crooked as a dog's hind leg

+Quote Post
Jimmuck
post 22nd Jul 2012, 12:50am
Post #26

Resident
Member No.: 546
Spit it out lads and lassies, it's not exactly as 'Jobs for the boys' folks, it's 'jobs for the bhoys' typical for Glasgow's Labour party history ....... when did the Labour Party come into its own in Glasgow?

When they filled the city up with the Oirish' and grew on their votes.
This is not something new for Glasgow, for I, myself, born and bred in Springburn, applied for a flat in the the New Sighthill towers.... funnily enough, my wife's cousin, a Catholic from Coatbridge was given one and us?? Nada!

My parents were Glasgow born and bred, all of us.

Just my experience and opinion, if it's not YOUR experience? it most certainly is mine.

--------------------
"Watch Yurr Mooth!"

+Quote Post
**Caledonia**
post 22nd Jul 2012, 02:51am
Post #27

Well bless my poor Auld Oirish soul! Still being denigrated by the "Pure Born" of Glasgow. Two whole generations you must be very proud. My non Irish granny told me of her family being exiled to France for fechtin fur Cherlie. My Orish grand fathers spending all their lives in Glasgow except when fighting in Flanders fields, would have been proud to know that they were dragged screaming by Labour, to the temple of the Holy Bigot, Glasgow in order to boost their votes. What history book did you skim over in a wet afternoon?

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 22nd Jul 2012, 10:54am
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (droschke7 @ 21st Jul 2012, 07:16pm) *
SNP are just annoyed that one of Their guys didn't get the job

Like i mentioned droschke7, the post is a non-political position, so the SNP would have advised against any party member applying for the job (providing anyone knew the post was available) to avoid a conflict of interest scenario like the one we are now witnessing.

+Quote Post
GG
post 22nd Jul 2012, 01:30pm
Post #29

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
QUOTE (Jimmuck @ 22nd Jul 2012, 02:05am) *
Spit it out lads and lassies, it's not exactly as 'Jobs for the boys' folks, it's 'jobs for the bhoys' typical for Glasgow's Labour party history ....... when did the Labour Party come into its own in Glasgow?

When they filled the city up with the Oirish' and grew on their votes.
This is not something new for Glasgow, for I, myself, born and bred in Springburn, applied for a flat in the the New Sighthill towers.... funnily enough, my wife's cousin, a Catholic from Coatbridge was given one and us?? Nada!

My parents were Glasgow born and bred, all of us.

Just my experience and opinion, if it's not YOUR experience? it most certainly is mine.

Jimmuck, this is just the kind of unsubstantiated musings which detract from the main topic and can spoil a decent discussion of the facts. It may well have been your experience that your wife's cousin got a flat in Sighthill, but you give no evidence to support your 'hunch' that the allocation was down to her religion. Perhaps she had a family – the flats were mainly family accommodation – and you were a single man? There could be any amount of reasons but, instead, you appear to have drawn a conclusion based on an apparent bias in your thinking. If you have evidence that new housing allocation in Glasgow during the 60s and 70s was driven by a policy of gerrymandering, then please point us to the source.

As fas as I can see, in this topic, the main issue is whether the due process of post creation, post advertising, and candidate evaluation took place prior to selection. I'd imagine that that should be fairly simple to establish.

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
GG
post 22nd Jul 2012, 01:43pm
Post #30

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
This story is covered today in the Scotland on Sunday and the Sunday Mail.

Glasgow Tory councillor David Meikle commented:
"This whole thing stinks and we need answers."

A council spokesman said:
"Mr McCabe was interviewed by two directors, one the council’s most senior lawyers and it is not appropriate to criticise their conduct in this way."

Also, according to the Sunday Mail:
"There have been 400 redundancies at Glasgow City Council over the past two years [targeted at all staff over 50], with redundancy packages costing up to £12.4million."

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th Jan 2021

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.