Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Robroyston Hospital, Photograph
heatherannej
post 24th Oct 2006, 11:53am
Post #1

Unpacking
Member No.: 3,927
Hello there

I wonder if anyone has a photograph of Robroyston Hospital that they could send through the internet to me please? A cousin of my late father died there and, as a family historian, I'd love a picture.

Many thanks Heather
heatherannej@hotmail.com
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GG
post 24th Oct 2006, 08:11pm
Post #2

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Robroyston Hospital was built as a municipal smallpox and tuberculosis hospital and opened in 1918. It was temporarily used as a military hospital in 1918-1919. By 1925 450 beds at Robroyston were devoted to tuberculosis patients, almost half of Glasgow’s total complement. In 1945 a maternity unit was added. In 1948 Robroyston joined the National Health Service under the Board of Management for Glasgow Northern Hospitals. In 1974 it was placed in the Northern District of the Greater Glasgow Health Board. In 1977 Robroyston was closed.

Here's a couple Heather, taken in 1922, just a few years after the hospital opened -- as you can see from the first photograph, everything looks very neat and tidy. I only ever visited the hospital after it closed, when large parts of the buildings were still present, but in a bad state naturally. I remember playing in the soon-to-be-demolished hospital buildings and grounds -- climbing down into the underground tunnels where we would play 'hide-and-seek', the most terrifying place I ever played the game and it must be said a genuinely dangerous activity as there were still large amounts of discarded medical equipment!

On a more productive note, I also made some extra pocket money by some small-scale scavenging of metals items which wee later sold to a scrapyard!

GG.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
GG
post 24th Oct 2006, 08:14pm
Post #3

Administrator
Group Icon
The main entrance, looking east, which can also be seen in the photo above in the background.

GG.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
buntyq
post 24th Oct 2006, 11:08pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 15
I had a cousin who spent many years in Robroyston. She had TB and I wanted to visit her but my mother said she was contagious. It must have been hard for her lying alone with no visitors since her parents were dead.

Martin, do you know how the hospital got its name?

+Quote Post
GG
post 24th Oct 2006, 11:20pm
Post #5

Administrator
Group Icon
Hi buntyq, yes it took the name of the adjacent district which as I recall was not named after "Rob Roy" but is a linguistic corruption of something like 'Rab Rae's Farm', which eventually became 'Rob-roy-ston' somehow. I'll check it up and see if I can trace the source.

Robroyston was of course the site of the capture of William Wallace, who was sheltering in a barn just next to where the hospital was later built ... 600 years later!

http://www.glasgowguide.co.uk/ww2002/image...iam_wallace.htm

GG.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
buntyq
post 25th Oct 2006, 03:08am
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 15
Thanks, Martin.

+Quote Post
heatherannej
post 25th Oct 2006, 12:14pm
Post #7

Unpacking
Member No.: 3,927
WOW!!! Thank you all so much. The pictures are great and just what I need. All the information has helped aswell - to understand a bit more about the history of the place. My father's cousin was in there with T.B. Contact has been lost with that branch of the family - with such a great response, I think I'll post another message in a different section and hope for as much success.

Many thanks again. I might have been born in England to an English mother but THE Scottish BLOOD IS STRONG with me smile.gif

Heather

+Quote Post
dunkey
post 13th May 2007, 10:25am
Post #8

Lord Provost
Member No.: 4,736
I was born in Robroyston hospital and if I had known so many of you lot had relatives and friends in there with TB I would have refused to make an appearance.

+Quote Post
Anne1
post 13th May 2007, 10:30am
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,001
laugh.gif laugh.gif nice one dunkey my dad was also in same hospital whilst in the army[tb] but thankfully was cured and lived till he was 76

--------------------
ANNWAN

+Quote Post
dizzybint
post 22nd Oct 2010, 10:52am
Post #10

Lord Provost
Member No.: 9,116
Two of my weans born in Robroyston.. one in Belividere and one in Rottenrow,,, mind when women were sent to Lennox Castle, two of my cousins were born in there..

+Quote Post
kenb
post 9th Jul 2013, 03:32pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 11,294
i was born in robroyston hosp in 1958
fathers name T homas B ooth

--------------------
WEY HEY

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th Apr 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.