Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

45 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Glasgow- Now And Then
scotslad90
post 5th Dec 2003, 07:54pm
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7
Have posted a few pictures on different pages this week about Glasgow as it is now.Been totally rocked by the responses about how people see the city today,Thought it might be cool to have a page for pictures about Glasgow -as it is now or how it was in the past both aspects are fascinating.GG'S posting today about picture halls/cinemas/trams really fascinates me . I can go any day and take picture's of the city as it is today but the enjoyment is comparing it to how it was.So anybody got anything they want to post.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
scotslad90
post 5th Dec 2003, 07:59pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
I will post a few pictures of Glasgow today,

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
scotslad90
post 5th Dec 2003, 08:10pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Dial Inn and the Armadillo

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
scotslad90
post 5th Dec 2003, 08:39pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
St enochs

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
George Muir
post 6th Dec 2003, 01:14am
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 53
ohmy.gif Scotslad, here's a picture of how St. Enoch's Square looked "then"

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Fearn
post 6th Dec 2003, 02:08am
Post #6

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 59
When was 'then' George?

Last time I stayed at the hotel was in Nov. '66 - remember it well - I was bringing my Mum back to Canada after my Dad's funeral.
Our room did not have 'private facilities' and the toilet was down the hall - Mum went off and, for the longest time, didn't come back - I got worried - found her, much confused, in the entrance hall to the toilets - apparently when you went in the lights went on, opening a toilet door also brought light, closing it switched it off - she reasoned that getting out would also bring darkness and decided to stay put, convinced that her dutiful daughter would eventually come to her rescue. She was right, the moment the door was opened, the lights went out. Think they had 15w bulbs in the hallways! Can you imagine such a system in this day and age? It really was quite scarey! Glasgow's COME A LONG WAY!

+Quote Post
George Muir
post 6th Dec 2003, 04:32am
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 53
huh.gif Fearn, the picture of St. Enoch's Square was taken in 1954. Three years before I had worked as an office boy in the Platform 1 Goods Office, but left in 1952 to do an apprenticeship as a compositor. Although I knew my way around all the platforms, etc. I have never been in the "marble halls" of the hotel. I think working in the station must have given me the wanderlust!

+Quote Post
scotslad90
post 6th Dec 2003, 01:32pm
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Thats a fantastic picture George -it looks so congested even back then.Hope others have some old pictures of Glasgow.

+Quote Post
scotslad90
post 6th Dec 2003, 03:36pm
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Art Deco at its best Melody.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
scotslad90
post 6th Dec 2003, 03:42pm
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
And the walled Garden -kinda bare in winter but you should experience it in summer totally awsome.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Melody
post 6th Dec 2003, 03:43pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
I agree... it would be wonderful to live there alright, however do you see what I mean about going to the pictures.....much better in the Ascot building..thanks for the photo...I think we're showing off now.. our fabulous architecture....well why not!! Glasgow's architecture is something to be very proud of. smile.gif

+Quote Post
scotslad90
post 6th Dec 2003, 03:57pm
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
We're getting too lovey dovey laugh.gif But I agree with you Melody,going back to the Ascot,I remember it as picture hall -just and loved it but today I think its ugly and I think it should have been demolished.It was left empty for years as a total eyesore because someone decided it was grade 2 and therefore listed.Am fascinated by architecture Melody-always have been I think I missed my vocation in life.This city breathes architecture Melody and although we often disagree on everything and anything we both love this city with a passion and thats evident in all our postings-we just look at it from different viewpoints.I want everyone that either lives here,or used to live here or might want to visit us to see what Glasgow is and be proud of it.

+Quote Post
Melody
post 6th Dec 2003, 04:29pm
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
Although I have been born and brought up in Glasgow I still stare up those wonderful tenements and buildings in town, and often sigh a sigh of pride. ..I can't think of a town to equal Glasgow for the quality of it's architecture.
The red sandstone tenements especially on a sunny evening, well ..I can't think of anywhere better to live.... just perfect for people to live in! Oh I feel all cosy now!.... I hope we don't fall out before the night's in! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Rab-oldname
post 6th Dec 2003, 05:56pm
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 413
Great pic of St Enochs 'then' George. I see the old SMT red buses in the far distance lined up waiting on the approach road to the station where I used to board for Renfrew - and a lucky day if my Uncle John was the driver!. Nice also to see the BEA airport bus which was heading the same way as me. I lived on the edge of the old Renfrew Airport - the graceful terminal building of which is now a 'Tesco' supermarket!.

+Quote Post
scotslad90
post 6th Dec 2003, 05:58pm
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
We are not going to fall out tonight Melody-but tomorrow is a new day.We both love this city with a passion,its evident in every posting we make and I might slag you about stuff but I respect you totally.We look at the city in different ways sometimes but I think I always look for the positive and hope for change where as you see it in past battles and how things might have been better.Heavy stuff for a Saturday night laugh.gif We both just want the world to look at Glasgow and admit this is one well cool city and I love it .

+Quote Post

45 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.