Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> School Buildings, Is mine still there?
Dexter St. Clair
post 17th Jul 2006, 01:51pm
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,715
I attended it as a secondary school.

Here's the details

The Martyr's School
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Oor Wullie
post 19th Jul 2006, 07:12am
Post #17

City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,469
Thanks to Dexter for the information about Martyr's school. I wasn't aware that it had been a secondary school.

Could I ask when that was ?.

I was there [in primary] from 1954 until it closed. I can't remember exactly when that was but I transferred to St David's, which was also a primary school, so I suppose it must have been before 1960.

+Quote Post
Dexter St. Clair
post 19th Jul 2006, 08:18am
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,715
It was used as an annexe to St.Mungo's Academy in the sixties and early seventies.
Martyrs School

+Quote Post
sumac
post 12th Aug 2006, 11:07am
Post #19

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 3,359
I am very nostalgic about my childhood in Parson Street. I played in the Martyrs School nearly every day, had my nose broken whilst playing up in the walls' wee windows (Kiss, Catch, Torture and a friend threw the huge carved leg of a table. It hit me full in the face! Ouch, it hurt!!!) and my older sister was in P1 at Martyrs until they closed it as a Primary. She was glad to go to St Davids (my old school) because her P1 teacher belted her and slapped her every time she used her left hand to do anything. Her memories are not as good as mine, as you can imagine.

I was a regular user of Townhead Library because I love(d) to read. I was in awe of that beautiful building and heartily agree that it could have been restored to its former glory for much the same cost as building a new "box". I can still see the inside - Enid Blyton was in the far right corner from the desk and I loved to sit at a table and read the blurb to see if I'd read it or if I fancied it (I always did!). sad.gif

--------------------
Ah don't hear sae well withoot ma specs

+Quote Post
maggie70
post 25th Apr 2007, 05:07pm
Post #20

Unpacking
Member No.: 4,732
QUOTE (GG @ 11th Jun 2006, 12:50 AM) *
Hi Frank, can you let us have some of your memories of the old school please?

Here it is attached in 1975.

GG.

Hiya i was wondering if you might be the person who can help me?? My husbands dad was the janitor in Rockvilla fromm 1977-1982 and we have no pictures of the school. His dad has passes away and i was wondering if you could email me any pictures to me. I tried to open your pics you ave posted however i cannot seem to open them. Maggie

+Quote Post
flam
post 6th Jul 2008, 12:26pm
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,044
Hi All .Photo of Saracen School at Hobart st Entrance

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th Jul 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.